“a great guesthouse” 5 of 5 stars
Review of American Guest House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Washington DC
American Guest House
You added American Guest House to your Saves list
2005 Columbia Rd NW, Washington DC, DC 20009 (Adams Morgan)   |
Ranked #8 of 33 Washington DC B&B and Inns
Antwerp, Belgium
“a great guesthouse”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

A great place to stay.
Small rooms but very cosy but it is not a hotel its a guesthouse!!
The housekeeper Jonathan is very helpfull and gentle.
This a keeper
Breakfast was very good and a very inventive an filling.
Staff was alway present and was always very helpfull.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

I recently enjoyed another fine stay at American Guest House bed and breakfast. A few points: 1. Breakfast cooked by Jonathan each day was excellent, inventive, and very filling. 2. Staff, headed up by Jonathan, is helpful and friendly without hovering over you. A staff member is always present in the building, even if you might not see them on occasion. 3. Rooms are quiet very clean, and the beds are very comfortable. Hot water is fine, just let it run a minute or two. Toiletries are simple but fine: soap and shampoo. Specifically, about noise—this is an old building on a city street. I myself do not find it a bit noisy at night or any other time. This is, though, a matter of personal perception. 3. Remember, this is a bed and breakfast—if you are inclined towards chain boutique hotels or high-end luxury hotels, my thought is that you should realize a B & B is not the same, and, if you stay, judge it for what it is. 4. Rooms are cozy, but not huge. Some bed and breakfasts have bedrooms with separate sitting areas--that’s generally not the case here. I think the rooms are attractive, with nice dark wood trim. Just look carefully at the photos on their website and on Trip Advisor, and you will see what they offer. 5. Bed and breakfasts vary in how they look and are decorated. American Guest House has beautiful old wood trim everywhere (the staircase is the highlight), and has older, antique style furniture to match. Like antiques in general, some furnishings may look a little used with aging. I prefer it that way. But other people like bed and breakfasts with new furniture and new decorations. Just think about what you prefer, and what this bed and breakfast features. 6. The building is a very sound and well maintained structure, located on a nice street in a great neighborhood, close to innumerable restaurants, and about a ten minute walk to the Metro stop. 7. I have been able on more than one occasion to check in earlier than the typical hotel check-in of 2 or 3 pm. I greatly appreciate this. Storing bags before departure is not a problem. 8. Wifi works fine throughout the building.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Wheaton, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

My husband and I recently journeyed to DC to enjoy the mall area and take in the museums. We usually prefer B & Bs over chain hotels and we were very pleased with our experience at the American Guest House. We were given a tour of the property when we arrived and the amenities were elegant and well maintained. Our room was gracious and sweet, with a small window overlooking the front street (Room 202). The bathroom space was somewhat tiny, but adequate. The front desk staff were helpful in terms of educating us about the area. We really enjoyed the gourmet breakfasts each morning and were glad to sink into a comfortable bed each evening. The B & B is within walking distance to the Metro. We recommend the American Guest House to others visiting the DC area.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Charleston, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

It was a wonderful place to spend the weekend. Very conveniently located to Adams Morgan, where the family member I was visiting lives. The room was small but very comfortable, with private bathroom, great queen bed, flat-screen TV (32"?) with cable. Nicely appointed, beautiful wood floors and walls, super clean, etc. The breakfast was delicious, and the staff was kind, helpful, professional, and all around great folks. I'd stay here again for sure!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Brookfield, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

This bed and breakfast was a terrific find, located in the embassy area of NW Washington, and therefore near a large number of good international style restaurants. Took a $14 shuttle from national airport to hotel and was able to walk to nearby shops. I was attending a large meeting and trade show at a venue located about 2 miles N. The hotel staff were extremely helpful, including quickly getting me a taxi when needed. Breakfast (included) was freshly cooked, and creatively different every day - a real treat compared to usual overpriced and awful food usually found at large hotels. Free WiFI, books in every room, flat screen TV, comfortable bed, and evena small fridge made this a great value. The hotel itself is a perfect example of a classical historical building with beautiful period furniture, and oriental rugs. Other guests included a fellow meeting attendee and international vistors, all making for pleasant and interesting conversations. Try Napolean, a french bistro resturant nearby - great food and atmosphere.

Room Tip: Try second floor.
Boston Mass
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

This place is welcoming and homey. Each room is different, because it's really a big old house - so some are bigger than others. Rooms are comfortable, with (very important to me) good lighting, good internet, and a power strip provided. Breakfast is family style and made to order. Easy walking distance to a few restaurants and take out places. I"ve stayed a couple of times... most recently, my room faced Columbia Rd and had a fair amount of traffic noise from buses and cars (that's why four stars instead of five); the last time, I was facing the back and I don't recall it being noisy. Mostly it's charming and friendly, and a nice place to come "home" to.

Room Tip: Ask to face the back to avoid traffic noise on Columbia Rd.
New Orleans, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

I stayed at the American Guest House as an alternative to staying at the Marriott Wardman conference hotel, thinking the short walk would be worth the financial savings. Little did I know how much I would benefit! The breakfasts, when I could indulge, were wonderful--endless juice and coffee, pastries, fruit salad, and eggs made to order by the charming Jonathan. I had specifically chosen a room with a mini-fridge, thinking I would lay in some juice and yogurt for mornings when my schedule prevented a sit-down breakfast, but it was never necessary, as I was always offered a cup of coffee and a homemade muffin or slice of coffee cake to nibble as I walked up the hill. My room was squeaky clean and the white-sheeted bed was snuggly, with mounds of both soft and Thermacare-firm pillows. I was supplied with instruction for wi-fi access when I first arrived, which looked complicated, but, in the end, it was as simple as opening my laptop and typing in the password. I opted for a private bath, which came supplied with an ample set of towels for one traveler, and a mysterious array of different soaps/mouthwash/shampoo that varied every day.

I have such minimal complaints that it seems almost petty to mention them here, but in the interests of making sure you're a well-informed traveler: on the first day, the shower head was leaking over the shower curtain, making the marble tile floor a break-neck negotiation; the issue was fixed immediately upon my reporting it. I had two days where I came in from the frosty February night to find that my room temperature was bordering on "roast;" I turned on the ceiling fan and opened a window, and within ten minutes, the room was back to being comfortable and stayed that way for the rest of the night, even after the window was closed. I did not have an instantly-renewable supply of hotel shampoo/conditioner/etc.; I travel with my own toiletries, so I'm not in any way put off by that.

Make no mistake about it: this is a B&B, not a chain hotel. It has all the strengths--and quirks--of a European pensione. Bernardo and Jonathan's quiet, elegant manner underline that Continental aura. I hope to stay here again, only, next time, I hope to nestle into the dark wood and cozy, fresh-baked cinnamon smell for pleasure, not business, so I can really indulge!

Room Tip: I stayed in Room 203, which has a private bath and a set of high, sunny windows.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Been to American Guest House? Share your experiences!