“Unique Experience for Me.” 5 of 5 stars

AKA White House
1710 H Street NW, Washington DC, DC 20006 (Dupont Circle)   |
Ranked #24 of 130 hotels in Washington DC
Sewell, New Jersey
“Unique Experience for Me.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

I have never stayed in an AKA hotel nor anything like one. THe rooms are really small apartments more then rooms. I would think they would be ideal for a family of 4 that wanted more space. I was traveling for business but still apreciated the extra space and the living and kitchen areas.
For visiting DC it would still seem ideal as it seems centrally located and within walking distance of many attractions.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
AKAWhiteHouseGM, Resident Representative at AKA White House, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
Thank you so much for your feedback! We take great pride in providing all of our guests with an experience that is like no other and that is truly a “home away from home” experience – we are so glad that your stay was a reflection of that! As you mentioned, our spacious suites are ideal for both families and business travelers alike and our location can not be beat! We look forward to welcoming you back the next time you travel to DC, be it for work or pleasure!

302 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Western Ireland, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

i stayed at this hotel for three nights I got a large room with a full kitchen which contained all that you would expect in your own home. a large lounge with table, chairs, couch, TV, DVD player etc.
the bedroom was large and very comfortable, this room also had a large flat screen TV. I the hotel is very central and in walking distance of the White house and metro station.

Room Tip: there a Whole foods market on 22St, & G st take left out of the hotel and left again at the cor...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at AKA White House with the TripAdvisor community! We are so delighted to know that you enjoyed all of the space and amenities that our suites offer. All of our suites are like the one which you had: fully furnished one and two bedroom apartment suites with full kitchens, living rooms, and modern furnishings. We are so glad that you were able to make the most of your stay and our location and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future!

Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

I just returned from a 4 night stay at AKA White House. It was a terrific choice for my needs. I was traveling on business with my 2 year old and her babysitter. I plan to return in the near future, and expect to make it my "hotel of choice" in DC.

The Unit: We had a one bedroom unit. It was just as attractive as they appear on the web site, and even more spacious than I anticipated. Compared with the typical chain apartment unit like a Residence Inn, the unit was HUGE and beautiful. We appreciated the 1.5 bathrooms, the walk in closet in the bedroom, the long hallway (perfect for playing ball or cars!) the fully equipped kitchen, & the lovely orchids which accented the muted tones of the decor. The bed was very comfortable. We had a corner unit in the back of the building (808) which was quiet and very light filled. It was comfortable enough for a much longer stay. (Minor down sides: though the furniture was attractive, we found it was not comfortable without throw pillows, and could have used more of them. There was a fair amount of elevator shaft noise which seemed to be carried into the apartment thru the AC system.)

The Building: We also enjoyed the lovely lounge area with a nice selection of art books and a mod gas fireplace. The lounge served as a hopping bar in the evenings, so not great for little ones in the later hours, but that wasn't a problem for us. Minor downsides: The business center door & exercise room had a sign on it that it was under renovation, so business services were limited to free access to a Mac in the lounge and a printer. This was not a great set up, and I had difficulties printing materials I needed for meetings. The roof top terrace is a nice asset with several tables for eating carry in and lounge chairs in the sun, but really no view to speak of.

The Location: The location was FANTASTIC for our needs -- just a block from Lafayette Square, there was easy access to "run around room" for my 2 year old and her babysitter was happy to people watch with a view of the White House. They could walk to many baby friendly green spaces. There are ducks. These things are important for travels with 2! And for me, it was a block from the blue and orange metro line I used each day (also only 2 blocks from the red line, it's a great location for using metro).

I was concerned that food would be a problem as this area has a reputation of shutting down at night, but there were many, many choices appropriate for carry in dinners with a 2 year old (particularly commend Roti on Pennsylvania Ave for delicious, inexpensive, fast yet fresh Mediterranean, and Cafe Asia had delicious sushi at a reasonable price -- each within a block of the hotel). There are also some excellent high end restaurants, but that will have to be a different trip! We began our stay with a trip to Trader Joe's to pick up milk, cereal, snacks. It is a bit of hike and not that pleasant a walk so next time I would take a cab, but definitely great to have that full size frig. (Though the kitchen is "complete" for a corporate apartment, I wouldn't plan to make a gourmet meal without taking an inventory of the equipment first.)

Odd Things: I wish I could give a 4.5 rating. Despite meeting our needs in so many ways, and my intention to return in the near future, there are a few things which make me hesitate to give a 5 star rating. Staff was distinctly mixed -- some front desk staff were attentive, friendly and eager to help, while others seemed to make "stressed" their standard mode of operation. Others just seemed... passive. I had a surprise encounter with an elevator door not opening. The response of the front desk staff was "I wouldn't use that elevator if I were you." I would have found "I'll have maintenance take a look" far more reassuring! There were no facial tissues. Now, we could have asked, but didn't think of it at an appropriate moment. After all, one doesn't really want to have to THINK about facial tissues at all, just have them there when you need them. Though there was a coffee maker in the unit, there were no supplies for making coffee. Morning coffee in the lobby was much appreciated, but only M-F.

For my needs, I am willing to trade off some of the expected amenities of a high end hotel (tissues! swimming pool) or of the corporate apartments (breakfast included) for the additional space, the pleasant design, and the fabulous location. All in all, I found it a very civilized experience!

Room Tip: Back of the building is very very quiet, but no view (other than into office cubicles in the buildin...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
AKAWhiteHouseGM, Resident Representative at AKA White House, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
We appreciate you taking the time to provide such great feedback! Your positive feedback is the key to our success as a leader in luxury extended stay accommodations and we are happy to hear your stay reflected that and including us as your “hotel of choice”. Our suites were designed with you in mind, creating a relaxing atmosphere that is your home away from home. With in-suite washer and dryers, fully furnished kitchens, and spacious living accommodations, AKA White House is your leading option in luxury extended stay. With our plush, and inviting a.lounge, residents and guests alike can relax in luxury while having morning coffee, or a hand crafted cocktail in the evening. So great to hear you enjoyed the area as well! With great dining within a few blocks walk like Roti, Founding Farmers, and Le Pain Quotidien, the location cannot be beat. While exploring the district, the metro system is conveniently located only a few blocks away, and is a wonderful option to fully experience everything DC has to offer!

Regarding the front desk decorum, we do understand your concern and apologize for any inconvenience. Our Resident Representatives are here to assist in any request a resident may have, while exemplifying the AKA brand. Rest assured, this is not a normal occurrence, and we have spoken to our front desk team to ensure it does not happen again. Our goal is to provide outstanding accommodations, while exhibiting a high level of professionalism at all times. Also, anytime a resident is not completely satisfied with their suite location, due to audible noise levels from elevators, we are more than happy to secure a different suite that is suitable, contingent on availability. Regarding the coffee supplies, while we do not have coffee supplies in each suite, we do have a coffee starter kit, which is available 24 hours a day and is complementary to our residents. While you may not have seen our tissue supply, each unit has a full box of tissues located in in suite bathroom, in the medicine closet, additionally if you were unable to locate the box, please do ask at the desk and we would be pleased to bring a box up to your suite. Your satisfaction is our number one priority as we exhibit the highest level of excellence. With a location that cannot be beat, amenities catered to our residents needs, and outstanding hospitality, AKA is your home away from home. We thank you for the great feedback and look forward to your next lodging dates with us at AKA White House.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in a 2 bedroom suite and was very impressed. Very good value for money. Tastefully decorated. Only complaint is that we could not change the bed for the 2nd room to a twin bed configuration for the children.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Thank you so much for taking the time to write to us regarding your family’s recent stay at AKA White House! We are so glad to know that your family felt at home in our modern, spacious suites. Due to the size of our suites and the full kitchens, they are ideal for traveling families! Please know that we do not have any suites with twin sized beds; all suites come with either one or two king or queen sized beds, depending on the number of bedrooms booked, however we do have rollaway beds available at the property for an additional fee. We are delighted to know that you otherwise enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcoming you and your family back to AKA the next time you travel to Washington DC.

South Pomfret
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

My husband and I recently stayed at this hotel and just loved it. We joined four others so we had a one bedroom suite and they had a two-bedroom. The suites are exactly as shown on internet, no tricks. They are super comfy and very well insulated. We heard nothing from anywhere; in fact we travel with a sound machine and it never left its pouch! The front desk staff are professional and extremely accomodating. The location is a two minute walk to our great President's home. Thank you, AKA. By the way, thanks to them we got a reservation at 'Cork', about a 15 minute walk with fabulous food and wine flights. Order the caramel pot de crème for dessert!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
AKAWhiteHouseGM, Resident Representative at AKA White House, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
We appreciate you taking the time to provide your feedback and comments. At AKA White House, our number one priority is our guests satisfaction, and we are thrilled to hear your experience was as such. Our fully furnished suites were designed with our guests in mind, and they truly embody the luxury extended stay aesthetic. With in-suite washer and dryers, fully furnished kitchens, and spacious living accommodations, AKA White House is your home away from home. Great to hear you were able to enjoy the local cuisine as well! The proximity of AKA offers excellent choices when guests are looking for outstanding, niche dining – all within a short walk. Cork, Founding Farmers, and Taberna del Alabardero are all local favorites that we highly recommend! Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you upon your return to AKA White House.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

My wife and I just stayed at the AKA White House in Washington DC. It was fabulous. Our room was clean and bright and the staff was welcoming and very accomodating. It is a great location from which to see all of Washington. We would highly recommend staying here.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
AKAWhiteHouseGM, Resident Representative at AKA White House, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Thank you so much for your feedback regarding your recent stay at AKA White House! We are so delighted to know that our team and your suite were able to make your stay in the Nation’s Capitol a memorable one! We look forward to welcoming you and your wife back to AKA in the future.

Cape Town Central, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

I loved this apartment. I stayed for 2 nights. The apartment is spacious and beautifully furnished. Literally everything is available in the apartment, except a safe. I was ensured that there would be no problems and I experienced none. The apartments are 2 streets from a Metro station and there are various restaurants in the immediate vicinity. It is walking distance from the White House. The staff is very friendly and helpful. The bar and lounge are very modern and beautifully furnished. I will definitely return if I ever visit Washington again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
AKAWhiteHouseGM, Resident Representative at AKA White House, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
We are so delighted to know that we were able to exceed your expectations during your stay! Our location is certainly one of the best in Washington being, as you mentioned, only a short 2 block walk from the real White House, a short walk from two different Metro Stations (Farraguts North and West), and many restaurants, shops, and other sights. Due to an increase in guest requests like your own, also please know that we now do have a safe available for guest use at the hotel. This is available through a request with any member of our Guest Service team prior to or during your stay for an additional fee. However, all of the suites are very secure as we take pride in offering a home-away-from-home atmosphere for all of our guests. We all are looking forward to welcoming you back to AKA White House the next time you travel to Washington DC.

888.aka.0210

Been to AKA White House? Share your experiences!