“Don't go” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Woodley Cafe

Woodley Cafe
2619 Connecticut Avenue Northwest, Washington DC, DC 20008-1522 (Upper Northwest)
202-332-5773
Neighborhood: Upper Northwest
Cuenca, Ecuador
“Don't go”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

I asked for a chicken salad with spinach - it took almost 25 minutes. The service was really slow and then at some point of my meal some bug falls from the ceiling into my shirt. I didn't know what it was, a cockroach, a spider, I didn't see. Unfortunately it was just after paying my check so I couldn't return my meal.

I saw a McDonald's and a Chipotle right in front of it. Go there, even if you don't like them.

• Visited June 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

“Not for one looking for a quick breakfast.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013 via mobile

Outdoor seating was a plus, but kitchen service was very slow, wait staff was ok, not always attentive. At least they were cordial and not rude. Eggs Benedict were fine but no better than average...the english muffins took it down a notch and were nothing to right home about. The McDonalds, across the street, has better hash browns.

For DC it was reasonably priced.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Teguzco
“I don't know”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

what it is about the restaurants on this block, but service was an issue with every one I tried. The Woodley Cafe had the honor of providing not only the worst service, but snotty service to boot. (No, no noses were running.)

I first tried the Woodley for breakfast, it being one of the two cafes in the immediate area that seemed to offer it. The Woodley, however, doesn't open until 8:00 a.m., an odd hour for a breakfast spot.

My second attempt found it open, but with a sign asking that guests wait to be seated. Silly me, I did, only to have two women blow by me and the sign, take a seat and commandeer the waiter. I never was offered a table, so followed their lead and took my own, only to be ignored there as well.

Two gentlemen stood waiting to be seated as I had and I overheard the host tell them no table was available. My wife and offered half of our table for four and they were quickly seated. And then given menus and had their orders taken before us.

Unfortunately, the food was not at all worth the wait: two substandard eggs over easy, served with air temperature hashbrowns (not cooked until crisp, as I'd requested) and cold, unbuttered wheat toast, with two paper thin slices of already cooled bacon. Oddly enough, the server insisted on bringing me catsup, even though I'd told him I didn't want it.

I can't speak to the Woodley for any other meal, but if I find myself seeking breakfast in this neighborhood again, I'll choose the competing Open City Cafe a block or so away. Or even the McDonald's across the street.

• Visited May 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Springfield, MO, US
“Food average, service terrible.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

We ate here for breakfast, basically because there were few other choices open for breakfast. We waited quite a while to be served, and even longer for our drinks.
When the food finally arrived, it was ok, just nothing special.

• Visited May 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Greater Detroit Area, MI
“Great if you are lucky”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

Our first night in Washington, we were out for a walk and decided to have dinner at the Woodley. The place was almost empty, but we were in a hurry so that worked for us. My steak was fantastic and my wife's fish was very good. We enjoyed the meal enough to go back the next day. The following day, the service was terrible, the food was marginal and it took four requests to get our water glasses filled. I had to rank it average since there is no option for good sometimes.

In the mornings, the place is jammed for breakfast so we may have just hit a bad meal the one day. There was a different server, but that doesn't justify that bad an evening meal. If you try it, I hope you are as fortunate as we were the first night.

• Visited November 2012