“Marriott Marquis Washington DC” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Marriott Marquis Washington, DC

Save Saved
You added Marriott Marquis Washington, DC to your Saves list
Marriott Marquis Washington, DC
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   901 Massachusetts Ave Nw, Washington DC, DC 20001 (Upper Northwest)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Save up to 15% off
Ranked #81 of 130 Hotels in Washington DC
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
“Marriott Marquis Washington DC”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Just attended a conference at this hotel. It is a large new hotel with a large conference center. I have to say that all employees tried very hard to offer good customer service. It has an atrium lobby with many rooms facing the atrium. The concierge lounge in large and not overly crowded. Check in and check out was quick and friendly. The hotel is way to modern and stark for my tastes, but the service won me over.

Room Tip: I would chose a room looking to the outside of the hotel rather than the atrium.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Lauren M, Front Office Voyager at Marriott Marquis Washington, DC, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
Hello Mel H,
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us! We certainly value our Elite members, and are so pleased you had the time to visit our M Club Lounge. Our property certainly does have a modern and sleek design, but we strive to maintain a warm and welcoming ambiance through our service. We hope to see you again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
raleigh, nc
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

I was here on business for 4 nights and it was a great from the check in to the check out. I was happy to know that the hotel had only been open for 4 months so everything was practically new. No complaints about the room. Great walk in shower with hard pulse water, tv, safe, lots and lots of outlets with USB ports, fridg, and plenty of toiletries. I only had the aisan wings from the restaurant downstairs and they were good and big. There are a lot of staff around so there was no need to have an unanswered question about anything. The hotel is within walking distance of china town so there was plenty of places to eat. I would stay here again.

Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Hello Sewven,
What a pleasure it was to hear about your recent stay with us! Our team strives to create brilliant experiences for all of our guests. Our guest rooms were designed with our valued guests in mind, so we are so happy you approved of your room layout and amenities.
We hope to see you again soon!
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I stayed here recently for 3 nights, in town for a national convention with 1000’s of colleagues, many of us divided up between the “big 3” Washington Convention Center headquarters hotels: Grand Hyatt, Renaissance, and the new kid on the block, the Marriott Marquis. I’m at the Marquis now, but have stayed at both the Hyatt and Renaissance in recent years, giving this new hotel a try now, as (1) it is without a doubt the absolute closest to the Convention Center, with an underground tunnel, or simply a walk out the door and across the street; (2) I’m curious, having stayed at the others and after reading the interesting TripAdvisor Reviews of the Marriott thus far.

Conclusion follows (forgive me writing like a research paper, in the midst of so many scientists!)

As I said, this is the closest physically to the Convention Center, period, and it’s got a connected passageway to it if it rains, too. (We lucked out, beautiful weather and so never used the tunnel. Walk out the front door and the Center is right there to your left.) In contrast, there’s the Renaissance, across the park where (in the summer) there is often music and a gathering of food trucks mid-day, which is nice. So the Renaissance is just across the park (1 1/2 “city blocks”) and also close to the Convention Center, really only one more light and short street crossing, but not attached and not as convenient if you’re a presenter or exhibitor carrying boxes back and forth. But that hotel, in my experience, was fine in terms of comfort and has some nice lobby areas with sports bars, etc. too. The problem for me (and others) with Renaissance was street noise from construction and elsewhere at the Renaissance, maybe less so now that they’ve finished building a parking lot across the street, but not sure from recent reviews. Then there’s the Grand Hyatt. While the Renaissance is sort of “Trader Vic” earthy and well-appointed, the Grand Hyatt is more modern-ish, with a splash of Roaring 20’s opulence, featuring a huge glass atrium with a pool at the bottom containing a center island with piano. Again, a nice hotel. Modern Opulent. Negative for me: it’s another “block or two” further from the Convention Center, with the Renaissance between Hyatt and Center, and the Marriott Marquis right at (and/or connected to) the Center. Positive for the location (Hyatt) is that it’s closest to Chinatown. Slightly. So that’s the ‘location’ logistics and my experience - all nice hotels, different small things might set off some pet peeves (or not).

For the convention, unless you're picky about quiet or proximity to the center, all 3 work.

OK, Marriott Marquis. The reviews intrigued me as so many said they’ve got a long ways to get their act together, or “they clearly have potential once they get it right”, and a few listed numerous suggestions. My take: First, my request was only “quiet room, nice view if possible”. Well, as to quietness, though I read a few comments different than my experience, I must say this was a winner. There are endless, plush-padded carpet hallways (one of the not-so-great features in terms of finding things, like your room, or elevator - but it’s quiet!), and in the atrium-facing rooms - what I had - one side (interior) has the room door and the other faces the atrium, again quiet, and with thick blackout drapes. The hallways in my wing had glass walls, facing (on the high floors) the top sliver of the Washington Monument and Capitol, and into the city generally. So there’s little echo like typical hotel hallways, plus the padded carpeting and solid walls… one of the quietest rooms I have ever had, period. No maids’ clatter outside, no chattering or parties reverberating through the rooms (despite the several ‘hospitality suites’), and ZERO street noise, as the room faces the atrium on one end and out the door is a hall with a glass wall and thick carpeting. Wonderful.

For non-convention-goers - and yes, of course its cost and offerings reflect its proximity to the convention center, so it draws crowds for specifically for conferences and business - there are nice aspects too, aside from quiet. Great air conditioning, ice machines (with $2 drinks, water or soda/pop, not really bad for a top hotel in convention-land; can’t speak to valet charges, etc.). Phones with no cords. Hmm. There was a fire or something scare here my first night, and a voice came from a hall speaker, urgently saying to evacuate, using the stairs. Turned out to be a “false alarm” (which was announced) but I mention it because they apparently pride themselves on the modern security and safety protections. Speaking of which, the room keys are magnetic which are held up to a metal door plate, like a scanner. (It works in the wrapper it comes with too - strong magnetism!). Elevators are quick! Unusual to see in super-busy convention hotels. Back to the “fun” stuff - there’s no pool but there is a 2-story fitness room. There’s a lobby sports bar, “reasonable” in cost and selection I’d say, as is the room service menu (24 hours), not a super-lengthy selection list, but will please many, between wraps and sandwiches and some basic breakfast stuff. In the lobby there are several restaurants and also a 7A-11PM gift/food store, plus a Starbucks. For spouses, families, etc., it’s easy to arrange for, or on-your-own see DC, as the location is great for tourism too, from Chinatown to the monuments, museums and attractions. (I visited the National Zoo, and their orangutan “Think Tank” - fun. The baby panda's just turned one, with some special events around that, too.)

Back to the hotel experience. The rooms are modern (see photos), with a great large-flatscreen and lots of channels. The view is either street (some wrote they can be noisy?) or atrium view, which is very quiet - although a bit odd to me to open the curtains any time day or night and it’s the same light. A good tradeoff, as there are thick drapes which block both light and (if there is any) noise. There are some modernistic sculptures and seating areas about. Free wi-fi in the lobby, and rooms offer wired or wireless at $12.95/day (with some kind of phone use allowance too), or a deluxe broader-band option. I travel with my own Internet source, but… be aware if you do too, the inside of a big modern hotel, smack in the middle of the building, with a steel reinforced dome just overhead, does limit broadband (I got but a small stream and no 4G or even 3G - if that matters to you, or are a family of multiple devices.)

Rooms have coffeemakers and big fridges, hair blowers, ironing board, room safe big enough for a 17” laptop (but not tall enough to store a Hasselblad, large camera). Shower is glass enclosed doors, no step-up necessary (so 'accessible') and mine had a wall grip. Beds had a little goose-neck reading light on the headboards, nice. Lots of drawer space, nice cubby area, generally comfy rooms with comfy beds, big desk area, club chair, lots of outlets (including USB).

Negatives (my pet peeves, YMMV) - I loved the many coffees there (great for getting up early for meetings, maybe not having time for Starbucks…) but the fixings holder comes with only 2 small creamers, which won’t help anyone who wants more than one cup or two… I experimented. Four will fit! (Next time I'd just pick up a small milk at the lobby store and put it in the fridge.) Would have liked the tea replaced. ('Hospitality' training?!) Tiny, tiny things remain that would allow me an unflinching 5-star, though I can’t really fault it beyond growing pains. So it’s an honest 4 1/2 by me. I decided to round it down to 4 stars for TA, to keep the hotel trying and tweaking: In the little atrium alcoves, try adding some flowers or furniture, little touches to offset the modern & new but borderline 'sterile' huge-scale hotel feel. Improve the hall signs just a tad, keep oiling the machine and trying hard…. I repent, and will give 5 stars, mostly because the staff is really trying hard, and my stay was comfortable. I had no real problems (despite the many reviews about startup pains and advice to wait a year or so). And after all, I was there for a convention, and as a conference hotel, for the location, comfort, and “total package” (without quibbling over things like parking or wi-fi, which are always annoying), I’m giving it the 5 stars I think it will cleanly deserve sooner rather than later, while it’s still new-ish.

I took the risk despite the many negatives, and was pleasantly surprised.

The desk staff were great, and other staff also. As some said here, reception is a bit unusual, a little mini-circle of podium-desks and a small queuing area to wait for the desk agent. And usually, they come out to you and bring you back to their counter… It wasn’t ever really busy (can’t explain why!) but a maid who tried to find an elevator with me (and took me through a strange route, but successfully) was also helpful. Mary Kate at the desk was both helpful and enthusiastic (pointing out some of the architecture and history of the hotel), and I really had no bad experiences. The staff I spoke with said the same as I’ve read, a few months ago there were countless problems with getting things up to snuff, and there were complaints, but everyone on staff with whom I spoke, seems to think they’re coming around nicely. Whether they’ll evolve or (as some wrote) the new will feel old soon, we’ll see. It’s just been born, and though I’d read all the warnings to “give it a year or two”, I took a chance, and really don’t have any complaints. True, I was mostly out of the hotel except to sleep. But I was able to! It did take a day or so to learn my way around the halls (there are forks and cut-throughs), but then a little leg and brain exercise wasn’t a bad thing. I do think it may mature into a solid 5-star, by listening to the visitors’ and also thinking about adding some old-fashioned touches to the spanking-new structure. It is already “different”. Staff seems really interested in doing well, and some have been on-the job a few months now, and seem proud of how things are moving along. For me, very good, truly no horror stories to share, super-close to the Convention Center, and comfy.

Room Tip: Pick atrium-view room for quiet, high floors for partial city views (halls).
Hello Drmikenyc,
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. You did a fantastic job explaining the location of our property, as well as many key features. I agree that our atrium view rooms are a fantastic option for a unique experience.
We love hearing feedback from our guests, so we can continue serving our guests needs. I have shared your recommendations for room amenities with our team.
Thank you again, and we certainly hope to see you again soon!
Take Care
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 weeks ago

Enjoyed the large rooms and the bright modern design including a walk-in shower and a Keurig machine with coffee and tea. I was on the 12th floor with the lounge so not sure if these are upgraded rooms over what's on the lower floors. I definitely appreciated that the M lounge was open 24/7 and offered a well presented standard Concierge Lounge breakfast buffet. Close to stops for Red, Yellow, Green, Blue, Orange, and Silver Metro lines so no need to change trains. I had an exterior facing room so no complaints about noise. Service was friendly and professional. As I walked in the rear of the hotel with my rollaboard a hotel security guard pointed me to a ramp on the side so I wouldn't have to carry my bags down a few steps. Would definitely stay again -- but might feel differently if I had a noisy atrium room.

Hello Stan0101,
What a pleasure it was to read about your recent stay! It was great to hear you had an enjoyable business trip. Our property certainly is located within a close vicinity of various metro lines. I was also pleased to see you had a pleasant experience with our team.
We hope to see you again soon!
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 weeks ago

The hotel is new and is nice. But it is sterile and soulless, so do not expect any warmth or character from the building. No pictures, no splashes of color, just a beige and white atrium hotel, with metal and glass everywhere.
Easy to access from Reagan Airport by taking the yellow line to Mt Vernon Square. No transfers needed. It was like 3 bucks to do that, and very easy.

Room Tip: Almost all rooms face the atrium, but it still gets bright there. be sure to shut you drapes if you...
Hello Tarnold8220,
Thank you for taking the time to review how your recent stay with us went. The Marriott Marquis Washington D.C. certainly is a new hotel with a modern and sleek ambiance. However we portray a warm feel through our hospitality.
Just as you stated, commuting to Reagan Airport from our property via metro is quite easy. We hope to see you again soon!
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 weeks ago

Stayed here for a three day conference. Lobby upon arrival is very well designed. Lobby bar and the sports bar are great places to stop by. Food is good and the service at both were great.

The front drive valet staff were extremely obnoxious with thier taxi whistle. There has to be another way to handle calling cabs to the drive from around the corner.

Rooms were comfortable but no bathtubs which I didn't need anyway but if traveling with my family it would have been a big issue. Check before you stay here if you like to have a tub.

I also want to mention that while most of the staff were very friendly they missed many opportunities for me to say the staff were amazing. They were good. The only hotel staff member that actually stopped to ask how my day was going was my housekeeper. Not one manager or anyone with a name badge that walked passed me greeted me. The housekeeper and the bartender/servers save my review on service. They have a lot of work to do in this area.

Overall a good stay and i would recommend to others and would stay again myself.

Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Hello Dan S,
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. We were so pleased to see that you had an enjoyable stay. However, I apologize that we did not exceed your expectations for service. We certainly strive to create a brilliant stay for all of our guests, so we take this review very seriously.
Within our property majority of our rooms include stand up showers, as that was the preference listed for majority of our guests. However we do have bathtubs available! If you do choose to stay with us again, please feel free to request a tub from our front desk upon check-in. You may also email me directly with this request, it would be my pleasure to ensure you are placed in a guest room with a tub.
Take Care,
Lauren.Murphy@Marriott.com
Basking Ridge, NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2014

We were here for 4-nights during the Pokemon Worlds tournament. This was a new hotel and I expected some "kinks" and sure enough, some did happen. Overall, the service was very good and the bellhops and valet personnel were exceptional. The maid service was perfectly fine and they left plenty of supplies for my family. The food was tasty but very overpriced in the bar lounge and even the drinks were way overpriced. Good thing is that there were plenty of other places to eat in the area, all within a short walking distance.
The major problem I had was with the SECOND room I had booked for my parents. I got them a handicapped accessible roll-in shower room. It was a disaster! When my parents went to check in, since I had made the reservation, apparently I had to be present to check in. But I was in a seminar and could not leave at all. They made my parents wait to check in even though my husband was there (with the same last name) and could have checked them in for me. The hotel wouldn't take a text from me nor my husband's name/person to check-in my folks. Finally, after about 45 minutes, the front desk allowed my parents to check-in. Seriously? You let two aging people pushing 80 WAIT to check-in even though I was sending texts to my husband and my husband was right there trying to help out. Now THAT was bad service and shows a level of inexperience. Also, I don't even think the room was put together properly. The shower seat wasn't attached to the wall safely and the shower drain wasn't working properly that it FLOODED the bathroom and part of the bedroom.
Finally, after 1 night in that room (4th floor), my parents were upgraded to the 12th floor Concierge Accessible room, again with a roll-in shower. Now THIS room was up to Marriott's standards!! It even had push button open/close drapes which makes it a lot easier for those in wheelchairs and scooters.
So, while the 1st room was bad for my folks, the 2nd room more than made up for it. I still don't understand why the front desk insisted I show up to check-in my folks even though earlier in the day I confirmed that they would be coming in and what their needs would be. Ugh, that was just very frustrating for all of us.
Anyway, if you don't need an accessible room, then this hotel is great. Wonderful artwork, friendly people and very clean hotel. If you do need an accessible room, check it out first to make sure it is OK with whatever handicap you may have.

Room Tip: Try to stay in the in the main tower of the hotel. Also, the higher the floor, the better. Use cau...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Hello PokeMomNJ,
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us during the Pokemon Worlds Tournament! We certainly value your business and thoughts. I apologize that your parents had a difficult time checking in. I understand this can be extremely stressful. To prevent this in the future I suggest adding all guests names to your reservation. Whichever guest was to check in first would have to provide a method of payment as well. If you have any questions about this process please feel free to email me.
I also apologize that the first handicap room your family was assigned to, was not to your liking. Our engineering department has already received your description on this room, and is now working on remedying this situation.
We were pleased to see you enjoyed the second room you were assigned. Once again, sorry for the inconveniences which you were faced with. We sincerely hope you choose to stay with us again in the future.
Take Care,
Lauren Murphy
Lauren.Murphy@Marriott.com

Been to Marriott Marquis Washington, DC? Share your experiences!