“Excellent culinary experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Komi

Komi
1509 17th St., Between P and Q Streets, Washington DC, DC 20036 (Dupont Circle)
202-332-9200
Neighborhood: Dupont Circle
Seattle, Washington
“Excellent culinary experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2014

I decided to take a friend out for a celebratory dinner after hearing great things and we were not disappointed. The portions are perfectly sized for tasting and they were happy to accommodate my nut allergy. Service was on par with what you expect from this level of restaurant.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Vienna Region, Austria
“Very disappointed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2014

We also don't understand the hype about this restaurant. The ambience is not very special, the portions so small that you don't really get a chance to experience the different flavors, the wine pairing seemed rather random and its definitely not worth the price. I am a petite woman and was still hungry after this meal. The ratio between wine and food served was not ok either, we ended up being drunk but hungry. That was not the idea for this evening. Next time we will go back to the inn at little washington instead!

• Visited February 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Reston, Virginia
“Over hyped”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2013

The evening held such promise based upon the long wait list and great acclaim. The tapas style food offering, although avant-grade in presentation, missed the mark in gastronomic pleasures. A few notable dishes included the grilled octopus with speck (spectacular, smoky flavor with crisp speck coating), the pasta, although the apple pieces added to the Bolognese-style sauce was simply odd, the pork dish and the numerous bread-based delights (e.g., the pita bread was melt-in-your-mouth scrumptious--we requested a second helping).
The Service was excellent. Our server asked on several occasions if we were satiated. She was most gracious and accommodating. Further, the Sommelier tried to accommodate our wine preferences but ultimately recommended wines that missed the mark. He offered a white from Spain that was supposed to have many characteristics of a white Burgundy, instead it tasted like Riesling, the only saving grace was it tasted like a fantastic Riesling. The high cost simply didn't justify the culinary benefit unfortunately. We won't return.

• Visited December 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“A culinary journey”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

I sought out Komi because it was ranked 1 of the top 10 restaurants in 2013 by Washingtonian Magazine. be forewarned it is an expensive meal and the restaurant's website encourages would e diners to make reservations one month in advance. Parking near Komi is a premium, so consider parking in the lot suggested by Komi staff or take metro and make sure to wrap up your meal before metro closes.

I was fortunate to make secure a reservation for a date within five after I called. I think there may have been a couple of factors working in my favor: I was making a reservation for a party of one, I was making a reservation less than two weeks before Thanksgiving - typically a slow period. The challenge for solo diners is Komi offers early or late seating to solo diners. I opted for late seating - 930pm. This ruled out taking metro and requ

The day before my reservation I received a call confirming my reservation and recommending I park in a parking lot nearby. The day of my reservation I received a call from a member of the Komi staff asking if I would like to come in earlier than 9:30pm for dinner. I eagerly accepted the offer. Mary was my primary server. I asked to receive a list of the dishes and wines I would be consuming when I made the reservation. I was asked for my email address and mailing address and was assured a list would be mailed to me. In the end, the staff hand wrote the list of dishes and wines I consumed. Overall, it was a memorable evening. Mary was my primary server she checked on me throughout the evening. The sommelier, Basheer, was knowledgeable and shared information about the wines featured beyond the name of the wine and the vineyard that produced the wine. Standouts for me: smoked brioche with salmon roe, sea urchin with coconut and lime, grilled octopus, foie gras on toasted sourdough and the greek style goat served with lemon wedges, tzatziki, pepper slices, mustard and hot, fluffy pita bread.

Komi does not allow photos of its dishes - pity because the presentation of some of the dishes (e.g. octopus, was appealing to the eye).

• Visited November 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Ashburn, Virginia
“Foodies delight”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2013

We were so excited to get into Komi on a Saturday night !
This was one of those gotta try places on our list !

Inviting cozy intimate dining room.
Romantic dim lighting.
Complementary refreshing Greek sparkling to start off the evening.
Then the course started to showcase one by one in a carefully paced manner.
Wine pairing is a must and absolutely brilliantly thought out. The best we have ever experienced so far and we have dined in many top places !
Each course ( 15 ) was intriguing, ingredients not everyday name.
If you are not a person that's willing to try everything you are missing out !
All dishes beautifully presented and really tasty.
Some are petite portions and some more substantial. Portions bigger than say, Rouge 24.
Servers take time to go over each course so you can jot it down ( no photos nor menu ) they each are friendly not intrusive... We probably had 4 servers including the sommelier.
Service truly is impeccable !!!!

Just some of the food highlights were~ pardon my description to the best of my recollection ...

Foi gras atop apricot preserves and grilled sourdough bread
Grilled octopus with garlic squid ink and Pistachio crumble
Roasted Sun chokes , root vegetables, cumin spiced carrots with house Greek yogurt and spiced granola
Roast tender goat and suckling pig served with fluffy pita, and the best Tzatziki sauce ever
Rich chocolate mousse/ganache garnished with rich olive oil and fleur de sel

We also ended our meal with fresh delicious coffee in French press. I loved that the coffee is served hot ! Not the lukewarm like other places.

Yes it did cost a pretty penny but so worth it !