“A long meal that left me hungry” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Komi

Komi
1509 17th St., Between P and Q Streets, Washington DC, DC 20036 (Dupont Circle)
202-332-9200
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Dupont Circle
Columbia, MD
“A long meal that left me hungry”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2007

I'm all Komi'd out. I had some very good sea bream as an entree, but have decided after this second visit in a little over a year that Komi is just too "chi- chi" for me. They start you with a series of small plates, about one every five minutes for at least an hour, and the first three or four are as tiny as a single olive or radish slice, some I swear are even smaller. Then they get a little bigger, to bite size, and a couple of them were very good bites indeed, but it gets tiring getting little dabs of food for so long. The pasta course was bigger, but still very delicate, and our fish entree was about the right size, but very light. And the desserts were interesting, but also very refined. You certainly won't get fat eating here!

Memphis, TN
“Superb Experience - Impeccable, Comfortable Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2007

Have you ever been to an upscale restaurant and been treated like you were doing them a favor by dining there? This is NOT one of those places.

Komi was by far the most exquisite yet comfortable dining experience I can remember, I recommend it to anyone who wants to be blown away by a epicurean offering.

My partner and I completed the Degustazione ($104) and were served no less than 16 courses, probably one more if you include the hand made vanilla lollipop at the very end of the night. Some were simple yet delightful items on small plates, and some were extravagant multi-layered one of a kind tastes that when I try to describe in detail, are not served well by the adjectives I know.

The staff was amazing and warm and described everything they brought to the table with an ease that left me feeling unafraid to embrace some of the most interesting tastes I have ever experienced. Do not miss this restaurant!! We have been talking about the meal for weeks now.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Komi - a great restaurant you can still get into”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2007

As we live very close to Komi, this is a very convenient restaurant for me and my better-half to visit when we feel like a special treat. We've been going there for several years now and food quality and wine selection has been consistently good. Service started out very good and has improved to excellent. Unfortunately, prices have crept upwards; prices now are in line with quality.

The decor is a bit minimal, tables are nicely spread out, but despite this, the room could use some soundproofing depending on how loud the guests are. The menu is prix-fixed and for this you get an infinite number of well-presented amuses-bouches, a choice from about 4 starters, a choice from 4 mains, and choice of desert. Service is nicely paced with guests served hot food simultaneously and never rushed. Our last dinner was over 3 hours. Every item that is served is explained and the staff is always transparently ensuring that you are taken care of.

The menu changes frequently so I can't really recommend a particular dish (although I still remember these melt-in-your mouth veal medallions I once had). Some "meat and potatoes" people may find the menu can push them beyond their comfort level. To this I say, trust Johnny, the chef knows what he's doing.

This is a good place if you want to impress someone.

Baltimore, Maryland
“Amazing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2007

One of the best meals that I have ever had - period. This was a great experience - not just a meal.

We counted 13 different dishes served to us over the course of the meal. Every one was a small little piece of heaven!

Each new dish was exploring food that I never knew that I loved.

It was a small restaurant - make your reservations early and expect at least a 2 hour meal.

DC, USA
“Best Night of My Life”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2007

Dining at KOMI was, by far, the best dining experience of my life.

The restaurant itself is Lovely! Very simple and very clean. A nice, romantic atmosphere. We did the tastings and it was some of the best food I've ever seen/eaten!

Our server was very helpful and attentive. The sommelier was an absolute DOLL! We loved him! Very accomodating!

I can't think of a better way to spend an evening!

THANK YOU KOMI!!!