“4 for the dog and location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Residence Inn Washington, DC/Foggy Bottom

You added Residence Inn Washington, DC/Foggy Bottom to your Saves list
Residence Inn Washington, DC/Foggy Bottom
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   801 New Hampshire Avenue NW, Washington DC, DC 20037 (Foggy Bottom - GWU - West End)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #48 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
Silver Spring
“4 for the dog and location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2009

This Doubletree overall rates a 3 star, we stay on the first floor the room was a nice size with a seperate bedroom, and full size kitchen with average decore, as with all hiltons the bed was very comfortable. The lobby is small, not a big deal to us,and the pool on the roof was also small, but the view from the roof made up for it, you can see the Washington Monument and the National Cathedral. The air condition works great, my husband had turn it all the way down and froze the whole family. The windows in the room open all the way, if that makes a difference to anyone.
We try to find parking on the streets to avoid the $28 fee, but to no avail, we opt for the valet parking, they have a garage under the hotel that only they can park your car. we had no problems or waite time in retrieving our car.
I gave it a extra star for being a very good place to stay with your dog, it is in a nice location to walk your dog around the neighborhood, and there is a dog park just a few blocks away. Besides choosing this location for being pet friendly it was also realivity close to walk to the Lincoln Memorial for the 4th of July fireworks. We had no problems walking with are two girls age 8, they close down 23rd st heading towards the Lincoln Memorial, which makes it nice not to have to worry about cars ect...We had a wonderful time and would recomend this hotel for someone travling with a pet, wanting to be in close distance to the lincoln memorial, needing a kitchen, and wanting a resonable rate.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Donegal Town, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2009

We stayed at the doubletree for 4 nights. The hotel had an excellent location, was only 2 minute walk from Foggy Bottom Metro Station. We walked to the White House in ten minutes. The hotel was great value, the staff were very friendly and helpful. We hadn't any issues with the cleanliness of the suite and our suite was cleaned everyday. We hadn't got a car so parking wasn't a problem. The pool was on the small side but we were not staying because of the pool. Would definitley stay again and would recommened this hotel without hesitation.

Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2009

I’m just back from a 5 night stay at this hotel with my husband and children. My first impression of the hotel was the tiny lobby it offered. The staff, though, was very helpful with my needs and questions. Though, I quickly found out that on top of my overpriced room, I had to pay $28/night on valet parking - the only alternative was to park on the street, but these spaces are nearly nonexistent and your car has to be moved by 8 in the morning. My room was spacious, but badly needed to be cleaned and updated. The kitchen had a dishwasher and large fridge but only supplied enough utensils for two, but the staff acted very quickly supplying more for the rest of my family. They also supplied us with the best, hot cookies on demand; my family was very pleased with this! The pool, however, was another story. Although it was located outside on the roof (nice view), the size was tiny- it was like a large bath - and the water was not heated. When I needed to freshen up our clothes I found the on-site laundry to be very convenient, washing a fully load of laundry for only $3.25 (including powder).

The only thing going for this Hotel is its location. It is very convenient to the metro and City centre. The Foggy Bottom metro is less than a 5 minute walk from the hotel, and there are many convenient stores located right across the street in the Watergate hotel. (Tip: Use the Safeway store inside the Watergate instead of the Seven 11 store - it's a lot cheaper.)

Overall, as I said - a great location, spacious rooms, a friendly staff, yummy cookies, but the kids were disappointed with pool and the entire hotel is in dire need of painting, decorating and updating, and Boy-O-Boy do those floors need cleaned!
With the amount of money we paid ($300/night with tax and parking mid-June) there is no excuse for the unclean condition of this hotel.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2009

We loved our stay at the Doubletree. The location was great and away from the busy city. Just a short metra ride and only 1 block walk. Highly recommend NO car and taking the metra everywhere. Get a day pass. The area has a neigborhood feel and a 7-11 close by for the essentials. The rooms were great. A kitchen, living area,and bedroom. It was real nice to have the space after a long day of touring. The pool on the roof was small but nice. Not a bad value for the DC area. The beds were so comfortable and pillows great. HIGHLY reccomend.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Boston, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2009

Cons:
- Entry to the bathroom thru the bedroom only. No direct etnry to the bathroom from the living room.
- Rooftop outdoor pool. Water NOT heated.
- Room cleaning service not prompt. Had to call them on both days after we got back at ~5pm to get the room done. This even after we had given them a reminder early in the morning on the second day.

Pros:
- Cheapest deal we could find for a suite in DC
- Close to Metro. Less than 5min walk.
- Good neighborhood. Few restaurants nearby (Thai Coast, Papa Johns pizza) & 7-11, Trader Joes for grocery.
- Full size kitchen
- Muffins, Danish, Juice, Coffee etc. during weekends
- Street parking was there on weekends...so save the $28 daily parking charge

Overall good value for $$. But for our situation would pick a suite with separate access to the bathroom.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
Washington DC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2009

Booked a 3-day stay at this hotel. I spend a lot of time in various hotels and have never written a review. I am compelled to write this review, however, because of the shocking condition of the floors of this hotel. I knew things were not looking good when the common area floors were such a mess when I arrived. I honestly have never seen floors so dirty in even a 2-star hotel (this is allegedly a 3-star). I have never requested a room to be cleaned, but when I saw the condition of my floors when I arrived in my room, I did not want to even take my shoes off until something was done. Housekeeping promptly responded to the request and took care of some of the more obvious debris on the floor. I also knew I had done the right thing when it sounded like sand being sucked into the vaccuum when she swept some of the carpet.

If it had not been for the fact that, in addition to the disgusting floors, my keycard did not work and the TV in the bedroom didn't work after "maintenacne had left for the evening" I would not have brought these issues to the attention of the manager the following day. But I did. The manager was very kind and apologetic and had the tv fixed that day. She further informed me that the housekeeping supervisor would be in my room that day to make sure it was clean. The amazing thing is (which is why I now have decided to write this review) was that the floors were still filthy when I returned to my room late in the day. I would have thought that after using such superlatives that "the floors of this hotel have to be the filthiest floors I've ever experienced in a hotel" and that the "Doubletree brand (a Hilton brand nonetheless) would suffer with such inattention to cleanliness", that the manager would have insured the floors of my room were thoroughly cleaned...did not happen.

If you decide to stay at this hotel (and there are plenty of other reasons to stay at this hotel as many of the reviews point out) and if you have the same experience, I would not hesitate to have housekeeping sweep your floors or request another room until you find one with clean floors (if that is even possible in this hotel). If enough guests complain, maybe management at this hotel will figure out that something needs to be done to improve this situation.

Bottom line: If Doubletree cannot keep the floors clean, where else are they cutting corners on cleanliness?

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
south bend
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2009

Stayed at this hotel based on previous reviews and was not disappointed. My husband & I traveled with our two teenage kids for their Spring Break, first time visitors to D.C. Because we were Hilton Honors Gold they waived the $12.99 daily internet connection. Location to the Metro was superb-one block away. There was a 7-Eleven right up the block which came in handy when we needed kitchen staples. The kitchens were very well equipped, all pots/pans/forks/toaster, etc. one would need and a full size refrigerator. The "living room" section of the room was nice, with a big TV and comfy couch and large desk for laptop. There was a door you could close that seperated the bedroom so one could sleep while the other read or watched TV and not bother one another. The bathroom was somewhat small with just one sink but it was clean and acceptable. We were one block from George Washington Univ. and there was a Starbucks on their main floor. I highly recommend this hotel due the location by the Metro stop (foggy bottom). With kids and all the walking you do during your days at D.C. it is invaluable to be so close to your hotel when you get off your stop. The staff was very friendly and in the mornings did put out a small continental-type breakfast with some fruit and muffins, coffee and juice. We pretty much ate up in our rooms with food we brought along or acquired at a local grocery. We walked to Georgetown which was less than a mile away but spent most of our time in all the museums and around the capitol and such. The hotel is situated in a beautiful neighborhood with cute brownstones. It was a lovely stay.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family

Been to Residence Inn Washington, DC/Foggy Bottom? Share your experiences!