“Perfect hotel and location” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Residence Inn Washington, DC/Foggy Bottom

You added Residence Inn Washington, DC/Foggy Bottom to your Saves list
Residence Inn Washington, DC/Foggy Bottom
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   801 New Hampshire Avenue NW, Washington DC, DC 20037 (Foggy Bottom - GWU - West End)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #48 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
Chicago
“Perfect hotel and location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2009

We loved our stay at the Doubletree. The location was great and away from the busy city. Just a short metra ride and only 1 block walk. Highly recommend NO car and taking the metra everywhere. Get a day pass. The area has a neigborhood feel and a 7-11 close by for the essentials. The rooms were great. A kitchen, living area,and bedroom. It was real nice to have the space after a long day of touring. The pool on the roof was small but nice. Not a bad value for the DC area. The beds were so comfortable and pillows great. HIGHLY reccomend.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Boston, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2009

Cons:
- Entry to the bathroom thru the bedroom only. No direct etnry to the bathroom from the living room.
- Rooftop outdoor pool. Water NOT heated.
- Room cleaning service not prompt. Had to call them on both days after we got back at ~5pm to get the room done. This even after we had given them a reminder early in the morning on the second day.

Pros:
- Cheapest deal we could find for a suite in DC
- Close to Metro. Less than 5min walk.
- Good neighborhood. Few restaurants nearby (Thai Coast, Papa Johns pizza) & 7-11, Trader Joes for grocery.
- Full size kitchen
- Muffins, Danish, Juice, Coffee etc. during weekends
- Street parking was there on weekends...so save the $28 daily parking charge

Overall good value for $$. But for our situation would pick a suite with separate access to the bathroom.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
Washington DC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2009

Booked a 3-day stay at this hotel. I spend a lot of time in various hotels and have never written a review. I am compelled to write this review, however, because of the shocking condition of the floors of this hotel. I knew things were not looking good when the common area floors were such a mess when I arrived. I honestly have never seen floors so dirty in even a 2-star hotel (this is allegedly a 3-star). I have never requested a room to be cleaned, but when I saw the condition of my floors when I arrived in my room, I did not want to even take my shoes off until something was done. Housekeeping promptly responded to the request and took care of some of the more obvious debris on the floor. I also knew I had done the right thing when it sounded like sand being sucked into the vaccuum when she swept some of the carpet.

If it had not been for the fact that, in addition to the disgusting floors, my keycard did not work and the TV in the bedroom didn't work after "maintenacne had left for the evening" I would not have brought these issues to the attention of the manager the following day. But I did. The manager was very kind and apologetic and had the tv fixed that day. She further informed me that the housekeeping supervisor would be in my room that day to make sure it was clean. The amazing thing is (which is why I now have decided to write this review) was that the floors were still filthy when I returned to my room late in the day. I would have thought that after using such superlatives that "the floors of this hotel have to be the filthiest floors I've ever experienced in a hotel" and that the "Doubletree brand (a Hilton brand nonetheless) would suffer with such inattention to cleanliness", that the manager would have insured the floors of my room were thoroughly cleaned...did not happen.

If you decide to stay at this hotel (and there are plenty of other reasons to stay at this hotel as many of the reviews point out) and if you have the same experience, I would not hesitate to have housekeeping sweep your floors or request another room until you find one with clean floors (if that is even possible in this hotel). If enough guests complain, maybe management at this hotel will figure out that something needs to be done to improve this situation.

Bottom line: If Doubletree cannot keep the floors clean, where else are they cutting corners on cleanliness?

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
south bend
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2009

Stayed at this hotel based on previous reviews and was not disappointed. My husband & I traveled with our two teenage kids for their Spring Break, first time visitors to D.C. Because we were Hilton Honors Gold they waived the $12.99 daily internet connection. Location to the Metro was superb-one block away. There was a 7-Eleven right up the block which came in handy when we needed kitchen staples. The kitchens were very well equipped, all pots/pans/forks/toaster, etc. one would need and a full size refrigerator. The "living room" section of the room was nice, with a big TV and comfy couch and large desk for laptop. There was a door you could close that seperated the bedroom so one could sleep while the other read or watched TV and not bother one another. The bathroom was somewhat small with just one sink but it was clean and acceptable. We were one block from George Washington Univ. and there was a Starbucks on their main floor. I highly recommend this hotel due the location by the Metro stop (foggy bottom). With kids and all the walking you do during your days at D.C. it is invaluable to be so close to your hotel when you get off your stop. The staff was very friendly and in the mornings did put out a small continental-type breakfast with some fruit and muffins, coffee and juice. We pretty much ate up in our rooms with food we brought along or acquired at a local grocery. We walked to Georgetown which was less than a mile away but spent most of our time in all the museums and around the capitol and such. The hotel is situated in a beautiful neighborhood with cute brownstones. It was a lovely stay.

Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2009

The Doubletree Guest Suites was a decent hotel suite, in a good location.
It is on a quiet residential street within blocks of GW University, and GW U Hospital.
There were some emergency sirens, but nothing too disruptive, and unlike any other city hotel.
It was convenient to the Foggy Bottom Metro station- only 1 short block away. We also were happy to walk to Safeway at the Watergate Complex- only 1 block in the other direction. We picked up a case of water bottles, bagels, yogurt, cereals, juice and snacks to stock our room kitchen.
This hotel space is older, and in some spots do show its age, although the rooms have been refurnished, and the kitchens have new appliances and the bathrooms have granite countertops. The carpeting in particular seems to need some updating, and the cleaning staff needs to do a good job of edge vaccuming the whole suite. It would go a long way to making the room feel cleaner.
The bathroom is cozy- and there is only 1 sink- & shower of basic size. ( only 1 person at a time!) It is really quite small considering the amount of space used for the kitchen and living spaces.
The suite space is nice- and was very comfortable to have the sofa/chairs/table space, separate from the bedroom. The bedroom was fine- 2 comforable queen beds, with very comfortable pillows.
The TVs in both the living space and bedroom were basic, and both had older tv set hums & noises to them. We weren't here for lots of TV viewing, so we didn't care much.
The staff was very helpful and did everything we asked of them, whenever possible. They were helpful with directions and suggestions. On our final day we really needed some extra time due to illness, and they were very kind ot accomodate
All in all- we had a good stay here, and probably would stay here again. Not a romantic spot, but a very good space when you need some elbow room with kids and teens.

New York, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2009

The Doubletree suites is fairly average hotel with a decent location. It’s located next to the George Washington University campus and has a nice young, safe feel to it with plenty of students on the streets. My wife and two young kids(6 mo, 2.5 yrs) went to sightsee on Easter weekend. We paid $227/night for 3 nights, not especially great, but I didn’t search that hard and it was a holiday weekend on short notice.

Food – The most obvious reason for staying is the kitchen which was fine for making a few meals. Room service which we had for breakfast a few times was extremely slow and spotty. Most of the time you had to leave a message and hope they would get it. Have the order arrive 30 min before you want it and you might get it on time. Like other posts said, if you need groceries, there is a Trader Joe’s and Safeway within walking distance.

Décor – Everything in the rooms looked dated, with the tub cracking a bit. The space was decent for a suite.

Valet – There is valet parking only for $28/day. Weird thing was guy offered not to charge me on Sunday if I would park it myself on the street. Couldn’t quite make out what kind of deal he was offering thru his thick accent, but it sounds like on weekends street parking is free if you could find it. I didn’t see many spaces personally.

Location – It’s fairly near the foggy bottom Metro stop, which can go to the National Mall and museums, but other sightseeing locations you need a car so we took advantage of the unlimited in-and-out valet. Walk to Lincoln Mem took 20min with strollers, manageable.

Internet – not included $12.95 or $9.95/day

Select staff did try hard, front desk was pleasant and competent, kitchen items asked for were provided.

Pool – open only Mem. Day to Labor Day

No room safes. Will try another hotel with a kitchen next time in DC

Seattle
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2009

If you are looking for a separate bedroom and kitchenette set-up, you can't beat this location. The metro connection, just around the corner from the hotel, makes everything on the mall seem right at your doorstep. As well, the metro is easy to take from RR airport. This hotel is right at the base of Georgetown. There are numerous restaurants within walking distance, and one right across the street. It is quiet, has very comfortable beds, and has an adequate kitchen to make simple meals. There are, however, minimal cutlery and utensils. The living room was very comfortable with plenty of seating and a good floor plan. The front desk attendants are wonderfully hospitable and an asset to this hotel. The negative at this hotel is the cleaning and maintenance. The cleaning crew does a fairly poor job. Yes, beds are made, but vacuuming, bath cleanup, counters and table tops - all are left way below standard. As well, maintenance is poor. Our sink in the bathroom was very heavily cracked. The granite countertop in the bath was sagging down the wall. The toilet handle was cracked. The elevator lights didn't work and the panel in the elevator was very dirty. These are not things I look for but couldn't help but notice them. The coffee maker was a one cup type that really didn't work. Often we weren't left coffee or tea. Would we stay here again? Perhaps. But not until we had seriously explored other options. This hotel must improve the cleaning crew/housekeeping.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family

Been to Residence Inn Washington, DC/Foggy Bottom? Share your experiences!