We have three children between the ages of 2 and 8 and wanted to tour the major D.C. museums and landmarks from a location near a central Metro stop. We originally planned to stay at an Embassy Suites but this hotel had better reviews and a good rate. While not perfect, it was definitely satisfactory and I would stay there again.
- Convenient Metro access (through a nice neighborhood)
- Unbelievably responsive front desk and Housekeeping
- Valet parking easy and prompt (only 5 minutes lead time to get the car out for us); it was wonderful not to worry about on-street parking or finding a parking lot
- Nicely cleaned rooms -- they even ran the dishwasher for us unasked, despite the stated policy that there had to be enough dirty dishes to fill it more than halfway
- Lots of space for all three children to sleep in the main room (pull-out sofa and rollaway bed), without us needing to share our own room with them
- A breakfast buffet the whole family enjoyed
- Whole Foods and Trader Joe's in easy walking distance
- Very quiet room, even though we were near the elevator -- yes we could hear the elevator ding during the rare times the children were all silent, but heard no sounds from other rooms.
- Friendly staff
- Evening happy-hour food offerings were a nice touch, especially since there weren't restaurants readily available nearby
- Plenty of staff available at breakfast, etc. to help answer questions and keep things tidy
- Lots of outlets for charging devices
- Easily able to do laundry on-site
- Free wi-fi was easy to use
- We were able to keep the car at the hotel until 4pm on day of check-out, even though check-out was 11am.
- The room was thinly stocked, and the "extras" we requested (and which the hotel reconfirmed upon check-in) were not present when we arrived: the rollaway bed was not in the room, and no extra towels were provided on either the first or subsequent days until we called the front desk. There was only one pillow for the sofabed, and no extra toilet paper in the bathroom. However, the impact of these omissions were reduced by the fantastically speedy response mentioned above -- within 5-10 minutes someone would be at the room with the missing item, and they would disappear before they could even be tipped.
- Tiny bathroom contained a double shower rather than a tub, and the tall showerhead was fixed rather than handheld. This made it tricky to bathe the children.
- Small "dining" table was high and had only two high barstool-type chairs, with no real space to add any more once the beds were out. This meant our family of five could never sit down to eat together in the room, and we had to carefully guard the chairs to keep the children from tipping over.
- Impractical teeny tiny trash can in the kitchen.
- The pool on the roof was clearly there just to check a box in search engines. It was very small and the paint on the bottom was peeling. Our children were disappointed that we did not let them swim in it.
- Parking of $40 a day adds up fast. At least I knew to expect it thanks to TripAdvisor reviews.
- FYI, the sharp knives are stored in a low cupboard at toddler eye level, so we relocated the entire silverware tray to an upper shelf.
By the way, another review mentioned a welcome bag -- we did not get this but did not miss it.
Overall a very nice experience and I am pleased to have found this hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Residence Inn by Marriott Washington DC/Foggy Bottom is located in the heart of the most historic neighborhood in DC. We are an upscale extended stay hotel nestled in one of the city's most sophisticated and fashionable parts of the city. Our central location is minutes from George Washington University and Hospital, Department of State, World Bank, other renowned corporations, celebrated attractions, restaurants, shopping, Georgetown and one block to the Foggy Bottom metro. Whether you're with us for a few days, a few weeks, or a few months, your daily routine matters .Our inviting gatehouse will allow you to spread out and relax after a long day. We offer complimentary Wi-Fi in all our suites and public areas at the hotel .You will never go hungry with our complimentary daily deluxe buffet breakfast and our Social Hours served in the evenings. Whether you are traveling for business or pleasure, your stay at the Residence Inn by Marriott Washington DC/Foggy Bottom will keep you well taken care of ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Cheap Tickets, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Priceline, BookIt.com, Travelocity, Marriott, TripOnline SA, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Residence Inn Washington, DC/Foggy Bottom reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.