“Location, big rooms and that's it” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Residence Inn Washington, DC/Foggy Bottom

Save Saved
You added Residence Inn Washington, DC/Foggy Bottom to your Saves list
Residence Inn Washington, DC/Foggy Bottom
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   801 New Hampshire Avenue NW, Washington DC, DC 20037 (Foggy Bottom - GWU - West End)   |
Hotel deals
Special Deal
Free Breakfast
Ranked #72 of 130 hotels in Washington DC
“Location, big rooms and that's it”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013 via mobile

Booked a room during renovation and it was horrible. Noise from 8 to 8 everyday, water stops for maintenance almost everyday for 2 hours. The room services is good. Overall the hotel is good but during the renovation you cannot sleep, location and the size of the rooms are what this hotel is all about. Was jealous when I saw the George Washington univeristy inn across the street and looking good with a small difference in the price. Bloody drill noise

• Stayed August 2013

375 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Little Rock, Arkansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

No need for a car here. An easy block and a half from the Foggy Bottom Metro stop and you can get just about anywhere in D.C. The staff was extremely courteous and willingly gave us information as requested. The hotel itself is being remodeled (old furniture, carpeting, etc. being hauled out) and will become a Marriott Extended Stay Suites. Our suite had 2 comfy queen beds with crisp percale-type sheets and down comforters. The kitchen was equipped with a full size refrigerator, 2-burner stove top, microwave, dishes, cutlery, and a few pots and pans. The free breakfast was a little bleak, but adequate. Starbucks coffee was a plus.
Stepping outside there is a small sitting area for those who enjoy a smoke and further down about two blocks is the infamous Watergate. We were only three blocks from a bicycle rental place; an easy walk to restaurants and the George Washington University Hospital as well as the Potomac River.
The neighborhood was alive with students, working folks, and vacationers like us. It would definitely be our choice again. Location, location, location.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Jessica C, Manager at Residence Inn Washington, DC/Foggy Bottom, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Nola B,

Your review was definitely full of "Sunshine." Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and experience with us.

We are happy to know that even through the renovation that you were able to enjoy your stay and that the city had to offer. We are transitioning to a Residence Inn and very excited about all the services that we will continue to provide to guest such as yourself.

Upon your return visit, you will see so much that has changed and all with guest like you in mind. Our breakfast will provide you with an assortment to choose from and will far excedd your expectations.

We will continue to provide great customer service and we realize that our mission here will always be to serve our guest.

Thank you again for your stay.

Best,
Halifax, Nova Scotia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

We spent two nights here and not only was our stay fantastic, it ranks as one of the biggest bargains we have ever lucked into.

I always do A LOT of research on accommodation before a trip, so I had read every review (the good and the bad) on Washington Guest Suites before booking. I expected a dated, converted apartment, under renovation, possibly loud, with unimpressive breakfast and staff. I was happy to accept these conditions for the location, the price ($180 Canadian a night, taxes in, in July) and the fact that we were getting a suite with kitchen, so my husband and I could enjoy a meal and some tv in the evening after putting the little one to bed.

What we got was an incredibly clean, quiet suite with crisp white bedding, one of the most comfortable beds I've ever slept in, a plentiful breakfast, a FUNCTIONAL POOL, and incredibly friendly, helpful and tolerant staff.

Very clean suite, and excellent maid service. Yes, the carpets, couches, tables and decorative pillows were a little dated but to me, all that meant was I didn't have to stress out when my 1.5 year old jumped all over them.

Renovations in the lobby must be nearing completion because all we saw was a little painting. We dined on a breakfast of donuts, bagels with cream cheese, Starbucks coffee, juice, yogurt, milk, Nutrigrain bars, bananas, apples and oranges. As a bonus, the staff did not mind at all when I asked if it was ok if I took an extra milk and nutrigrain bar for the baby's mid-morning snack (a lifesaver, as it turned out!)

As others have said, the location is unbeatable for the price. The walk to the metro and the Whole Foods store was nothing. The Whole Foods store also has a whole selection of prepared, healthy foods (think salad bar with hot dinner offerings too) which can be bought, stored and heated up in the suite.

As for the staff, they were so friendly and accommodating - always with a smile, often there to open the door for us when we were on our way in or out, full of helpful suggestions (like where can we find an umbrella at 7am in the morning?) and incredibly patient and good natured when, due to a rental-car delay, I ended up spending an hour and a half in the lobby with my wild toddler.

Also very ethical - my husband tried to tip one of the staff members who had stored bags for us and he refused to take the tip, citing company policy.

Biggest surprise - the pool was open! We went for a wonderful, refreshing family swim after a loooong day of travel.

If you are traveling with a family, in my mind there is no reason to stay anywhere else in downtown DC - suite, pool, friendly and tolerant staff, free breakfast, good value - what else could you possibly want? Its not posh, but its clean, comfortable and functional.

I'm interested to see if the price is hiked dramatically when renovations are completed. It will be a shame if so, since my research suggested there were not a lot of family-friendly bargains like this in Downtown DC.

MichelleNSam,

We are so pleased that your stay with us was so enjoyable and that we exceeded your expectations. With all the renovation work being done and we were able to still provide you and your family with the service, comfort, customer service and even a little extra makes us happy and proud.

As you are aware, we are transitioning to the Residence Inn - Marriott. Nothing really changes from the service that we offer with the exception that we will continue to strive to provide all of our guest such as we did with you and your family nothing but the highest level of customer service.

We are glad that you had an opportunity to enjoy the pool which provides a beautiful view of the city and not to mention, it is refreshing especially on a long day of site seeing and being on your feet.

Nothing will change wtih our location, being close to the metro, grocery stores (Whole Foods) close by, or nice dining establishments; however with the change to Residence Inn, the rates may increase a little, but will still be family friendly. Our goal to still to continue to serve our guest so that we can continue to "Far exceed your expectations."

On your next return visit, it will be okay for your soon to be 2 year old to jump on the bed and we will still have treats for their mid morning snacks.

Again, thank you for your visit and we welcome you and your family back anytime.
McDonough, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

We are graduates of GW so we love to stay near the university and Metro. We had a great room-not fancy- but clean and spacious. Having the kitchen area was so convenient. The staff could not have been more accommodating and helpful! They allowed us to check in early and check out late. That really made our trip! Housekeeping did an immaculate job. Great stay!

Room Tip: Very close to metro and Whole Foods!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your comments RbKRev. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. As graduates, being familiar with the area and being close to GWU probrably made your stay even more enjoyable.

As you mentioned the rooms not being fancy, however, I am proud to announce that are renovation to become a Residence Inn - Marriott is almost complete and the rooms will be much more appealing to you upon your return visit. We are excited about the transition of the rooms. To add to that, the whole hotel has undergone a huge make over to be able to provide guest such as yourself the look and feel you desire.

We work hard to serve our guest, provide clean rooms and that ultimate customer service.

Thank you and we look forward to your return.

Warmest regards,
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

We returned today from a 6 day stay in Washington DC. I will admit that I was quite worried about staying at the Washington Guest Suites with all the negative comments especially regarding their renovations. We traveled with our two children ages 11 and 8. The hotel is undergoing a major renovation. However, the hotel staff was very helpful and gave us plenty of notice with anything that might inconvenience us. Julius the front desk clerk was professional, kind and went above and beyond to ensure that we had a wonderful stay. The hotel is 1 block walking distance from Foggy Bottom Metro Station and Whole Foods. A family of four had the conveniences of the metro and food market. Whole foods has already prepared meals which made it so easy as we returned back from our full days of museums and exploring. Our room was not one of the ones that had already been renovated. Although it did need some updating we found it spacious, clean and great value for the location. The roof top pool was a favorite after a hot day although the water was a bit cool the roof top views were great. Our family had a great experience and we would definitely come back to the New Marriott Guest Suites when we return to Washington! Thank you Julius for providing our family with EXCELLENT customer service!!!
Debbie Kopplow- Tampa Florida

Oranjestad, Aruba
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

I recently spent four nights at Washington Guest Suites. After spending a whole day outside the hotel I arrived on my last night around 11 PM and received a letter from the General Manager slipped underneath the door. The letter stated that the renovation plumbing work requires that the water be shut off periodically. Each room would be without water for no more than 60 minutes at a time.
When I checked the kitchen faucet I indeed noticed that the water was shut off. Although I really wanted to take a shower immediately after spending almost a whole day in summer temperatures, I accepted the fact that I had to wait at least one hour. However, when I checked again at 12 AM, the water was still shut off. This was also the case when a checked at 1 AM and 2 AM. When I called the front desk after 2 PM they did not really seem to know what was going on and did not even offer any apologies or to find any solutions. At 3 AM I checked again if the water was still shut off and to my horror this was indeed the case. By then I was exhausted and fell asleep without taking a shower.
The next day when I went to check out I asked the front desk staff to speak with the General Manager and they informed me that she was in a meeting. I asked them why I was not notified earlier regarding the water being shut off, as from the letter it really seemed that the plumbing work was planned in advance. The front desk staff simply replied that this was part of the hotel renovations and did not even offer any apologies or some kind of discount/compensation.
After I made it very clear that I would not pay the complete amount of the stay, they offered to give a 25% discount on the last night stay. Due to fact that a was expecting my taxi at any moment to take me to the airport I did not check my statement thoroughly right away. My taxi took longer than expected so I decided to review the statement anyway. To my unpleasant surprise the discount on the statement was only for $ 30 which is barely 15% of the $ 190 night stay rate. When I notified the front desk they did not even offer to make the necessary correction. By the time my taxi arrived I was fed up and just wanted to leave that place.
I see that the General Manager responds in other reviews that they are very excited to reopen as a Residence Inn by Marriott in September. Well if I was Bill Marriott I would not be that excited to associate the Marriott brand with such mediocre and unacceptable level of service. The General Manager should ensure that the front desk staff receive some urgent much needed hospitality training because the current service level is below par and certainly not according to the Marriott standards.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Jessica C, Manager at Residence Inn Washington, DC/Foggy Bottom, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Thank you for your response Mr. Giovanni Boekhoudt. We sincerely apologize that your stay with us wasn't as enjoyable as it could have due to the renovation work that we are currently undergoing. We do understand that the temporary water shut off did inconvenience you. As part of the renovation process, we have tried our best to provide our guest with as much advance notice as possible however on this particular evening we gave as much notice as possible to all the guest.

As a result from this experience, we have worked very diligently with our renovation team to ensure that this doesn't happen again and have decided in the event that a temporary water shut off is needed that we chose a time where the guest would be least impacted.

We do value the guest experience and the customer service that we offer. We apologize that your experience wasn't as favorable. We do welcome you to visit us once our renovations are complete and allow us the opportunity to show you the service level that we are accustomed to. Our sole purpose is to serve each of our guest with the highest level of customer service.

We will definitely look into your stay to assess the charges. Thank you again for your honest feedback, but more importantly we hope that you accept our deepest apology.

Thanks again.

Best regards
West Palm Beach
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

I recently spent 5 days in Washington DC with my boys and dog. We stayed at the Washiongton Guest Suites near Georgetown University. The hotel is going through an extensive renovation, but our room was spacious and comfortable. The hotel is pet friendly and everyone treated our dog just like any other guest. I appreciated that alot! The staff was courteous and informative about everything to do and see in town. They helped with places to eat, things to do and how to travel within the city, We are not used to city life and their input was greatly appreciated throughout our stay. We would recommend ths hotel to families wanting a good value and easily accessible to the Metro and downtown attractions. We hope to come back to the hotel in the future after the renovations are completed to see how good it turned out.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
We are so delighted that you chose us to be apart of your wonderful experience during your family vacation. Our hope is that your safe return home brought back memorable moments during your stay with us while in DC.

As you are aware that the location of the hotel makes the experience so much more enjoyable as you are so close to the metro station, fascinating dining experiences and to all the tourist activities that the city offers.

We look forward to your return once the renovations are complete. We as a staff are extremely excited about the new renovations taking place as we are completely aware that it will only enhance the guest stay. We pride ourselves on the customer service we provide and the overall guest experience. We welcome your family and as you know we are pet friendly; therefore we hope that he/she is able to make that return visit back to visit us when our renovations are complete as we become the Residence Inn by Marriott.

Again, thank you for allowing us to serve you and we are excited about your possible future return. Have a wonderful summer.

Best regards,

Been to Residence Inn Washington, DC/Foggy Bottom? Share your experiences!