“Far exceeded expectations” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Residence Inn Washington, DC/Foggy Bottom

Save Saved
You added Residence Inn Washington, DC/Foggy Bottom to your Saves list
Residence Inn Washington, DC/Foggy Bottom
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   801 New Hampshire Avenue NW, Washington DC, DC 20037 (Foggy Bottom - GWU - West End)   |
Hotel deals
Special Deal
Free Breakfast
Ranked #72 of 130 hotels in Washington DC
Halifax, Nova Scotia
“Far exceeded expectations”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

We spent two nights here and not only was our stay fantastic, it ranks as one of the biggest bargains we have ever lucked into.

I always do A LOT of research on accommodation before a trip, so I had read every review (the good and the bad) on Washington Guest Suites before booking. I expected a dated, converted apartment, under renovation, possibly loud, with unimpressive breakfast and staff. I was happy to accept these conditions for the location, the price ($180 Canadian a night, taxes in, in July) and the fact that we were getting a suite with kitchen, so my husband and I could enjoy a meal and some tv in the evening after putting the little one to bed.

What we got was an incredibly clean, quiet suite with crisp white bedding, one of the most comfortable beds I've ever slept in, a plentiful breakfast, a FUNCTIONAL POOL, and incredibly friendly, helpful and tolerant staff.

Very clean suite, and excellent maid service. Yes, the carpets, couches, tables and decorative pillows were a little dated but to me, all that meant was I didn't have to stress out when my 1.5 year old jumped all over them.

Renovations in the lobby must be nearing completion because all we saw was a little painting. We dined on a breakfast of donuts, bagels with cream cheese, Starbucks coffee, juice, yogurt, milk, Nutrigrain bars, bananas, apples and oranges. As a bonus, the staff did not mind at all when I asked if it was ok if I took an extra milk and nutrigrain bar for the baby's mid-morning snack (a lifesaver, as it turned out!)

As others have said, the location is unbeatable for the price. The walk to the metro and the Whole Foods store was nothing. The Whole Foods store also has a whole selection of prepared, healthy foods (think salad bar with hot dinner offerings too) which can be bought, stored and heated up in the suite.

As for the staff, they were so friendly and accommodating - always with a smile, often there to open the door for us when we were on our way in or out, full of helpful suggestions (like where can we find an umbrella at 7am in the morning?) and incredibly patient and good natured when, due to a rental-car delay, I ended up spending an hour and a half in the lobby with my wild toddler.

Also very ethical - my husband tried to tip one of the staff members who had stored bags for us and he refused to take the tip, citing company policy.

Biggest surprise - the pool was open! We went for a wonderful, refreshing family swim after a loooong day of travel.

If you are traveling with a family, in my mind there is no reason to stay anywhere else in downtown DC - suite, pool, friendly and tolerant staff, free breakfast, good value - what else could you possibly want? Its not posh, but its clean, comfortable and functional.

I'm interested to see if the price is hiked dramatically when renovations are completed. It will be a shame if so, since my research suggested there were not a lot of family-friendly bargains like this in Downtown DC.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Jessica C, Manager at Residence Inn Washington, DC/Foggy Bottom, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
MichelleNSam,

We are so pleased that your stay with us was so enjoyable and that we exceeded your expectations. With all the renovation work being done and we were able to still provide you and your family with the service, comfort, customer service and even a little extra makes us happy and proud.

As you are aware, we are transitioning to the Residence Inn - Marriott. Nothing really changes from the service that we offer with the exception that we will continue to strive to provide all of our guest such as we did with you and your family nothing but the highest level of customer service.

We are glad that you had an opportunity to enjoy the pool which provides a beautiful view of the city and not to mention, it is refreshing especially on a long day of site seeing and being on your feet.

Nothing will change wtih our location, being close to the metro, grocery stores (Whole Foods) close by, or nice dining establishments; however with the change to Residence Inn, the rates may increase a little, but will still be family friendly. Our goal to still to continue to serve our guest so that we can continue to "Far exceed your expectations."

On your next return visit, it will be okay for your soon to be 2 year old to jump on the bed and we will still have treats for their mid morning snacks.

Again, thank you for your visit and we welcome you and your family back anytime.

379 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
McDonough, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

We are graduates of GW so we love to stay near the university and Metro. We had a great room-not fancy- but clean and spacious. Having the kitchen area was so convenient. The staff could not have been more accommodating and helpful! They allowed us to check in early and check out late. That really made our trip! Housekeeping did an immaculate job. Great stay!

Room Tip: Very close to metro and Whole Foods!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your comments RbKRev. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. As graduates, being familiar with the area and being close to GWU probrably made your stay even more enjoyable.

As you mentioned the rooms not being fancy, however, I am proud to announce that are renovation to become a Residence Inn - Marriott is almost complete and the rooms will be much more appealing to you upon your return visit. We are excited about the transition of the rooms. To add to that, the whole hotel has undergone a huge make over to be able to provide guest such as yourself the look and feel you desire.

We work hard to serve our guest, provide clean rooms and that ultimate customer service.

Thank you and we look forward to your return.

Warmest regards,
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

We returned today from a 6 day stay in Washington DC. I will admit that I was quite worried about staying at the Washington Guest Suites with all the negative comments especially regarding their renovations. We traveled with our two children ages 11 and 8. The hotel is undergoing a major renovation. However, the hotel staff was very helpful and gave us plenty of notice with anything that might inconvenience us. Julius the front desk clerk was professional, kind and went above and beyond to ensure that we had a wonderful stay. The hotel is 1 block walking distance from Foggy Bottom Metro Station and Whole Foods. A family of four had the conveniences of the metro and food market. Whole foods has already prepared meals which made it so easy as we returned back from our full days of museums and exploring. Our room was not one of the ones that had already been renovated. Although it did need some updating we found it spacious, clean and great value for the location. The roof top pool was a favorite after a hot day although the water was a bit cool the roof top views were great. Our family had a great experience and we would definitely come back to the New Marriott Guest Suites when we return to Washington! Thank you Julius for providing our family with EXCELLENT customer service!!!
Debbie Kopplow- Tampa Florida

Oranjestad, Aruba
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

I recently spent four nights at Washington Guest Suites. After spending a whole day outside the hotel I arrived on my last night around 11 PM and received a letter from the General Manager slipped underneath the door. The letter stated that the renovation plumbing work requires that the water be shut off periodically. Each room would be without water for no more than 60 minutes at a time.
When I checked the kitchen faucet I indeed noticed that the water was shut off. Although I really wanted to take a shower immediately after spending almost a whole day in summer temperatures, I accepted the fact that I had to wait at least one hour. However, when I checked again at 12 AM, the water was still shut off. This was also the case when a checked at 1 AM and 2 AM. When I called the front desk after 2 PM they did not really seem to know what was going on and did not even offer any apologies or to find any solutions. At 3 AM I checked again if the water was still shut off and to my horror this was indeed the case. By then I was exhausted and fell asleep without taking a shower.
The next day when I went to check out I asked the front desk staff to speak with the General Manager and they informed me that she was in a meeting. I asked them why I was not notified earlier regarding the water being shut off, as from the letter it really seemed that the plumbing work was planned in advance. The front desk staff simply replied that this was part of the hotel renovations and did not even offer any apologies or some kind of discount/compensation.
After I made it very clear that I would not pay the complete amount of the stay, they offered to give a 25% discount on the last night stay. Due to fact that a was expecting my taxi at any moment to take me to the airport I did not check my statement thoroughly right away. My taxi took longer than expected so I decided to review the statement anyway. To my unpleasant surprise the discount on the statement was only for $ 30 which is barely 15% of the $ 190 night stay rate. When I notified the front desk they did not even offer to make the necessary correction. By the time my taxi arrived I was fed up and just wanted to leave that place.
I see that the General Manager responds in other reviews that they are very excited to reopen as a Residence Inn by Marriott in September. Well if I was Bill Marriott I would not be that excited to associate the Marriott brand with such mediocre and unacceptable level of service. The General Manager should ensure that the front desk staff receive some urgent much needed hospitality training because the current service level is below par and certainly not according to the Marriott standards.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Jessica C, Manager at Residence Inn Washington, DC/Foggy Bottom, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Thank you for your response Mr. Giovanni Boekhoudt. We sincerely apologize that your stay with us wasn't as enjoyable as it could have due to the renovation work that we are currently undergoing. We do understand that the temporary water shut off did inconvenience you. As part of the renovation process, we have tried our best to provide our guest with as much advance notice as possible however on this particular evening we gave as much notice as possible to all the guest.

As a result from this experience, we have worked very diligently with our renovation team to ensure that this doesn't happen again and have decided in the event that a temporary water shut off is needed that we chose a time where the guest would be least impacted.

We do value the guest experience and the customer service that we offer. We apologize that your experience wasn't as favorable. We do welcome you to visit us once our renovations are complete and allow us the opportunity to show you the service level that we are accustomed to. Our sole purpose is to serve each of our guest with the highest level of customer service.

We will definitely look into your stay to assess the charges. Thank you again for your honest feedback, but more importantly we hope that you accept our deepest apology.

Thanks again.

Best regards
West Palm Beach
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

I recently spent 5 days in Washington DC with my boys and dog. We stayed at the Washiongton Guest Suites near Georgetown University. The hotel is going through an extensive renovation, but our room was spacious and comfortable. The hotel is pet friendly and everyone treated our dog just like any other guest. I appreciated that alot! The staff was courteous and informative about everything to do and see in town. They helped with places to eat, things to do and how to travel within the city, We are not used to city life and their input was greatly appreciated throughout our stay. We would recommend ths hotel to families wanting a good value and easily accessible to the Metro and downtown attractions. We hope to come back to the hotel in the future after the renovations are completed to see how good it turned out.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
We are so delighted that you chose us to be apart of your wonderful experience during your family vacation. Our hope is that your safe return home brought back memorable moments during your stay with us while in DC.

As you are aware that the location of the hotel makes the experience so much more enjoyable as you are so close to the metro station, fascinating dining experiences and to all the tourist activities that the city offers.

We look forward to your return once the renovations are complete. We as a staff are extremely excited about the new renovations taking place as we are completely aware that it will only enhance the guest stay. We pride ourselves on the customer service we provide and the overall guest experience. We welcome your family and as you know we are pet friendly; therefore we hope that he/she is able to make that return visit back to visit us when our renovations are complete as we become the Residence Inn by Marriott.

Again, thank you for allowing us to serve you and we are excited about your possible future return. Have a wonderful summer.

Louisville, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

I stayed at the Washington Guest Suites to visit family during the BBQ Festival in DC. The front desk staff was very friendly and helpful. They are currently under renovation to be transformed into a Residence Inn by Marriott but I was not disturbed by noise or the workers during my stay. I'm looking forward to seeing the new and improved building when they are all done. I will absolutely stay at this hotel again in the future.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you Elizabeth B. for your response and we are so delighted that you chose us for your stay while in DC. As you are aware, we are currently undergoing renovations to become the newly renovated Residence Inn by Marriott. As we embark on the final stages of renovation, we are optimistic that your return visit will be even more enjoyable.

DC has so much to offer, therefore we welcome you back and appreciate your patronage and patience during this exciting time for us. We look forward to be able to serve you and your family again on your return visit. We value you as a guest and can only hope that with the renovations, friendly staff, and services that the new brand will bring that we will be a strong consideration for your next family visit.

Again thank you.

Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

This was a perfect stay on 4th of July. We were within walking distance to the heart of Georgetown. The hotel is currently undergoing renovations, but this did not impact our stay. Our room, as well as the lounge was very modern. Our room was large, the bed was so comfortable, and the toiletries were better than most midrange hotels. The complimentary continental breakfast was good. You just have to eat it in the lounge or in your room until renovations are complete Very friendly staff. Overall, great stay.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your wonderful response and we are so happy that you chose us to spend your 4th of July holiday. We are please to hear that your stay with us was pleasurable and we appreciate your patronage through our renovation stage.

We look forward to your return as we become the Residence Inn by Marriott. As a team, we are excited about the transformation and having the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Best regards,

Been to Residence Inn Washington, DC/Foggy Bottom? Share your experiences!