“Great Location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Residence Inn Washington, DC/Foggy Bottom

Save Saved
You added Residence Inn Washington, DC/Foggy Bottom to your Saves list
Residence Inn Washington, DC/Foggy Bottom
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   801 New Hampshire Avenue NW, Washington DC, DC 20037 (Foggy Bottom - GWU - West End)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Deal
Free Breakfast
Ranked #61 of 130 Hotels in Washington DC
Reynoldsburg, Ohio
“Great Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

My family of 4 stayed in the Washington Guest Suites for 3 nights in April 2013. The suite was clean and was a great size for the 4 of us. The bathroom was pretty small and we only had enough towels left daily for 2 people. We called the front desk each night and new towels were delivered promptly. We were happy to discover that the hotel was located within walking distance of the National Mall and also located a few blocks from a bus stop for the tour bus that we bought passes for. There are restaurants and a Whole Foods within walking distance as well. The breakfast bar consisted of bagels, juice, fruit, and coffee. We went toward the end of the breakfast period and there wasn't much left. It would be great to see a make you own waffle iron added as an option. The staff was very helpful and friendly. We would definintely stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that's not located near the elevator
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
JonSallinen, General Manager at Residence Inn Washington, DC/Foggy Bottom, responded to this review, May 3, 2013
Thank you for your great review! I'm very pleased that you and your family had a memorable stay with us. As I'm sure you noticed, we are currently undergoing a complete renovation to soon become a Residence Inn by Marriott hotel. The Residence Inn breakfast will be beyond par - with a "make your own" belgian waffle station with tons of toppings, as well as a full hot buffet breakfast! We are looking forward to your next stay and we are excited to welcome you to the Residence Inn by Marriott experience!

~ Jessica Conley

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Florham Park, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

I have been using this hotel property for years when it was the Doubletree. It is convenient to all the key locations I need to visit in DC. The changeover is a welcomed addition but on a recent stay I truly believe there was a safety issue that was completely ignored even after multiple calls to the front desk. The tenth floor had no hallway lights. This cannot possible be safe. We were notified of the construction by the hotel one week before our trip and given the peak season in DC it was not possible to find another hotel. Some kind of discount or 'make good' should have been made for the conditions we had to withstand, especially the lack of lights.

I sent an email to the folks that advised us of the construction the week before but have not heard a word from them.

We look forward to the new hotel but more attention needs to be paid to loyal guests who were truly inconvenienced.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
JonSallinen, General Manager at Residence Inn Washington, DC/Foggy Bottom, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay! We are very excited to bring you the brand new, fully renovated Residence Inn by Marriott hotel soon! I've just taken over the General Manager position and I'll be sure to address your safety concerns with our renovation team. Thanks again for choosing the Washington Guest Suites - be sure to come back soon to check out everything our amazing new hotel has to offer!

~ Jessica Conley
Berkeley, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

Although the staff are extremely helpful and friendly, this place is undergoing ownership change and a complete remodel. We have to share the halls, elevators and other facility with construction material, personell, dust and noise.
Given all the activities during the day, I wonder how they expect to take in customers and charge them the rates. We prepaid when we booked and could not get out but would not have stayed here an hour if we were not stuck.
Wait till they finish the remodel, then it will be a very nice place in a great location.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
JonSallinen, General Manager at Residence Inn Washington, DC/Foggy Bottom, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Mehdi and Linda M,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are currently in the process of renovation in lobby and we are doing everything that we can to minimize any impact for guests. We will soon be complete with the lobby and as we complete we will try our best to avoid any disturbances.

Victoria, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

Arrived at 7PM, room was ready, clean. location was great as it was walking distance to georgetown restraunts, metro, museums. wish the room had a balcony. check in was easy, everything went well. there were too many students staying at the hotel, although there was nothing the hotel could do about that. There was not a restraunt or spa on site, so my rating reflects that.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
KM10153,

Thanks for taking the time to review our hotel. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and next time you will have to stay longer to enjoy the hotel and all of the local attractions.

Beverly, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

I was the only one in at the desk and it took me 15 mins to check in. The said my corporate card was declined. Then they said my personal credit card was declined. I ended up using my debit card to get into the room. I called the credit card companies and they said the requests from the hotel never even came through and my cards are in perfect standing.

The staff at this hotel is terrible. They took what was a pleasant day in DC and turned it into misery. Plus the place is under renovation and looks awful.

Stay away!

MLech,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your most recent stay. I apologize that we fell very short of a good experience. We will take your comments and utilize them in our ongoing training so that we can improve and correct deficiencies that occurred. I encourage you to contact me directly when you are in Washington DC, to show you the improvements and changes we have made.

Cairo, Egypt
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

I arrived at 10 pm and found my room had been sold out although a friend of mine did notify the front desk about my late arrival as I was on international flight.. it was not only me, there were 3 guest with the same happen to them.
they sent us for another Hotel in Virginia, 35 min away by taxi, and almost there by mid night.. in the morning, I had to make my way back to the hotel so I lost my early meeting for that day.
they promise me not charge for that night and they did pay for the second hotel and actually they did.
For Hotel service, the towels were dirty. Housekeeping did not vaccum the room while I am there just arrange the bed.. the complementary breakfast was in a room with no single chair or even table so you have to go back for your room to take your breakfast.
the hotel area is nice close to metro station and good restaurants However I suggest looking for other hotels in the area.

Elkenawy,

Jon Sallinen

Been to Residence Inn Washington, DC/Foggy Bottom? Share your experiences!