“Under construction” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Residence Inn Washington, DC/Foggy Bottom

Save Saved
You added Residence Inn Washington, DC/Foggy Bottom to your Saves list
Residence Inn Washington, DC/Foggy Bottom
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   801 New Hampshire Avenue NW, Washington DC, DC 20037 (Foggy Bottom - GWU - West End)   |
Hotel deals
Special Deal
Free Breakfast
Ranked #72 of 130 hotels in Washington DC
Berkeley, California
“Under construction”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

Although the staff are extremely helpful and friendly, this place is undergoing ownership change and a complete remodel. We have to share the halls, elevators and other facility with construction material, personell, dust and noise.
Given all the activities during the day, I wonder how they expect to take in customers and charge them the rates. We prepaid when we booked and could not get out but would not have stayed here an hour if we were not stuck.
Wait till they finish the remodel, then it will be a very nice place in a great location.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
JonSallinen, General Manager at Residence Inn Washington, DC/Foggy Bottom, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Mehdi and Linda M,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are currently in the process of renovation in lobby and we are doing everything that we can to minimize any impact for guests. We will soon be complete with the lobby and as we complete we will try our best to avoid any disturbances.

379 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Victoria, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

Arrived at 7PM, room was ready, clean. location was great as it was walking distance to georgetown restraunts, metro, museums. wish the room had a balcony. check in was easy, everything went well. there were too many students staying at the hotel, although there was nothing the hotel could do about that. There was not a restraunt or spa on site, so my rating reflects that.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
KM10153,

Thanks for taking the time to review our hotel. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and next time you will have to stay longer to enjoy the hotel and all of the local attractions.

Beverly, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

I was the only one in at the desk and it took me 15 mins to check in. The said my corporate card was declined. Then they said my personal credit card was declined. I ended up using my debit card to get into the room. I called the credit card companies and they said the requests from the hotel never even came through and my cards are in perfect standing.

The staff at this hotel is terrible. They took what was a pleasant day in DC and turned it into misery. Plus the place is under renovation and looks awful.

Stay away!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
MLech,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your most recent stay. I apologize that we fell very short of a good experience. We will take your comments and utilize them in our ongoing training so that we can improve and correct deficiencies that occurred. I encourage you to contact me directly when you are in Washington DC, to show you the improvements and changes we have made.

Cairo, Egypt
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

I arrived at 10 pm and found my room had been sold out although a friend of mine did notify the front desk about my late arrival as I was on international flight.. it was not only me, there were 3 guest with the same happen to them.
they sent us for another Hotel in Virginia, 35 min away by taxi, and almost there by mid night.. in the morning, I had to make my way back to the hotel so I lost my early meeting for that day.
they promise me not charge for that night and they did pay for the second hotel and actually they did.
For Hotel service, the towels were dirty. Housekeeping did not vaccum the room while I am there just arrange the bed.. the complementary breakfast was in a room with no single chair or even table so you have to go back for your room to take your breakfast.
the hotel area is nice close to metro station and good restaurants However I suggest looking for other hotels in the area.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Elkenawy,

Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

I had booked this hotel about 1 1/2 months earlier as it appeared to be a great deal - especially during the cherry blossom festival. Also a great location.

Upon landing, our taxi driver had never heard of this place (should've been our first sign). He informed us it used to be the Double Tree Inn. No sooner than we arrived we were told the hotel was under construction and remodel. We hadn't been told of any of this prior to, but OK, we could handle that - I thought. HOWEVER... our room had NO A/C and we were on the top floor!! It was REALLY hot! I also have bad allergies and needed the A/C for clean air. We were first told it was an ordinance in DC to not to have the A/C on until June. Really?? However, we discovered the other hotels AND restaurants didn't have this issue. Finally, they told us the A/C was actually broken in the hotel.

We sweated out the first nights - it was very bad. We could only open the window 3" due to locks they place on the windows. Then, when we opened the window, dust flew in from the construction on the roof. The next day I complained to the assistant manager (after tracking her down somewhere in the hotel). She said it wasn't their fault there was no A/C - until I told her the gig was up and I knew it was broken. I asked if she would put us up somewhere else as that would be the polite thing to do and she indicated they would not. The first excuse was because I hadn't pre-paid. Then once she realized I had pre-paid, I was then told that since the hotel is a franchise, they only have one hotel. I explained that a franchise is when you have mutliple hotels. Alas, she said it was not her problem and that she would check us out of our hotel since we weren't happy. HELLO? Where were we going to go with two nights yet to go at this awful hotel? Everything was booked up - except the nice air conditioned hotels which cost a bit more. BTW... on the second day, the water had been shut off and only brown murky water came sputtering out of the faucet. Do NOT drink the water.

We finally had a box fan delivered to our room to help with the heat, but it did nothing but circulate hot air. I presume this is called the Washington Guest Suites until Marriott gets this to their standards as a Residence Inn. OR... they call it this while current management wants no responsilbility for this disaster. Until then.... BEWARE!!! Staff was friendly, but very unaccomodating... trying to get that last cent out of guests while still under construction. We ended up checking out a day early and got out of DC.

You've been warned.

Room Tip: I would have remarked on cleanliness, but we didn't want maid service the entire stay as we didn...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
EM,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your most recent stay. I apologize that we fell very short of a good experience. There are no excueses I can make for what transpired. I encourage you to contact me directly when you are in Washington DC, to show you the improvements and changes we have made.

Boston, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013 via mobile

I would definitely recommend this hotel to people but since its going under a new name, I'm not sure if the same hospitality would stay.

The staff are super friendly and accommodating. The place is clean and the suite was huge for a decent price. Everything was great minus the no AC until May. Thank goodness it was only one night that was super hot. Our room reached 90 F. Eek ... Breakfast was ok, would like more variety. The metro was super close. Whole foods, seven eleven, cvs, and restaurants are all walking distance. The hotel is located in a quaint neighborhood. :) you can even walk to Lincoln Memorial and back ... a good 15 mins.

We wanted to check our the pool, but was being renovated. Another con, elevators are super slow! Overall, a pleasant experience. Would def come back! Thanks for the cookies and bottled water.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
JonSallinen, General Manager at Residence Inn Washington, DC/Foggy Bottom, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
smellyphant37,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. We are very excited with the transition to our new brand and all of the great staff will remain in place during and after the transition. Our pool opens Memorial Day Weekend and with the nice weather we are having this week we are considering opening a week earlier. We look forward to your return.

Jon Sallinen

Been to Residence Inn Washington, DC/Foggy Bottom? Share your experiences!