“convenient hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Residence Inn Washington, DC/Foggy Bottom

You added Residence Inn Washington, DC/Foggy Bottom to your Saves list
Residence Inn Washington, DC/Foggy Bottom
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   801 New Hampshire Avenue NW, Washington DC, DC 20037 (Foggy Bottom - GWU - West End)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #59 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
Victoria, Canada
“convenient hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

Arrived at 7PM, room was ready, clean. location was great as it was walking distance to georgetown restraunts, metro, museums. wish the room had a balcony. check in was easy, everything went well. there were too many students staying at the hotel, although there was nothing the hotel could do about that. There was not a restraunt or spa on site, so my rating reflects that.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
JonSallinen, General Manager at Residence Inn Washington, DC/Foggy Bottom, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
KM10153,

Thanks for taking the time to review our hotel. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and next time you will have to stay longer to enjoy the hotel and all of the local attractions.

Jon Sallinen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Beverly, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

I was the only one in at the desk and it took me 15 mins to check in. The said my corporate card was declined. Then they said my personal credit card was declined. I ended up using my debit card to get into the room. I called the credit card companies and they said the requests from the hotel never even came through and my cards are in perfect standing.

The staff at this hotel is terrible. They took what was a pleasant day in DC and turned it into misery. Plus the place is under renovation and looks awful.

Stay away!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
MLech,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your most recent stay. I apologize that we fell very short of a good experience. We will take your comments and utilize them in our ongoing training so that we can improve and correct deficiencies that occurred. I encourage you to contact me directly when you are in Washington DC, to show you the improvements and changes we have made.

Cairo, Egypt
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

I arrived at 10 pm and found my room had been sold out although a friend of mine did notify the front desk about my late arrival as I was on international flight.. it was not only me, there were 3 guest with the same happen to them.
they sent us for another Hotel in Virginia, 35 min away by taxi, and almost there by mid night.. in the morning, I had to make my way back to the hotel so I lost my early meeting for that day.
they promise me not charge for that night and they did pay for the second hotel and actually they did.
For Hotel service, the towels were dirty. Housekeeping did not vaccum the room while I am there just arrange the bed.. the complementary breakfast was in a room with no single chair or even table so you have to go back for your room to take your breakfast.
the hotel area is nice close to metro station and good restaurants However I suggest looking for other hotels in the area.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Elkenawy,

Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

I had booked this hotel about 1 1/2 months earlier as it appeared to be a great deal - especially during the cherry blossom festival. Also a great location.

Upon landing, our taxi driver had never heard of this place (should've been our first sign). He informed us it used to be the Double Tree Inn. No sooner than we arrived we were told the hotel was under construction and remodel. We hadn't been told of any of this prior to, but OK, we could handle that - I thought. HOWEVER... our room had NO A/C and we were on the top floor!! It was REALLY hot! I also have bad allergies and needed the A/C for clean air. We were first told it was an ordinance in DC to not to have the A/C on until June. Really?? However, we discovered the other hotels AND restaurants didn't have this issue. Finally, they told us the A/C was actually broken in the hotel.

We sweated out the first nights - it was very bad. We could only open the window 3" due to locks they place on the windows. Then, when we opened the window, dust flew in from the construction on the roof. The next day I complained to the assistant manager (after tracking her down somewhere in the hotel). She said it wasn't their fault there was no A/C - until I told her the gig was up and I knew it was broken. I asked if she would put us up somewhere else as that would be the polite thing to do and she indicated they would not. The first excuse was because I hadn't pre-paid. Then once she realized I had pre-paid, I was then told that since the hotel is a franchise, they only have one hotel. I explained that a franchise is when you have mutliple hotels. Alas, she said it was not her problem and that she would check us out of our hotel since we weren't happy. HELLO? Where were we going to go with two nights yet to go at this awful hotel? Everything was booked up - except the nice air conditioned hotels which cost a bit more. BTW... on the second day, the water had been shut off and only brown murky water came sputtering out of the faucet. Do NOT drink the water.

We finally had a box fan delivered to our room to help with the heat, but it did nothing but circulate hot air. I presume this is called the Washington Guest Suites until Marriott gets this to their standards as a Residence Inn. OR... they call it this while current management wants no responsilbility for this disaster. Until then.... BEWARE!!! Staff was friendly, but very unaccomodating... trying to get that last cent out of guests while still under construction. We ended up checking out a day early and got out of DC.

You've been warned.

Room Tip: I would have remarked on cleanliness, but we didn't want maid service the entire stay as we didn...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
EM,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your most recent stay. I apologize that we fell very short of a good experience. There are no excueses I can make for what transpired. I encourage you to contact me directly when you are in Washington DC, to show you the improvements and changes we have made.

Boston, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013 via mobile

I would definitely recommend this hotel to people but since its going under a new name, I'm not sure if the same hospitality would stay.

The staff are super friendly and accommodating. The place is clean and the suite was huge for a decent price. Everything was great minus the no AC until May. Thank goodness it was only one night that was super hot. Our room reached 90 F. Eek ... Breakfast was ok, would like more variety. The metro was super close. Whole foods, seven eleven, cvs, and restaurants are all walking distance. The hotel is located in a quaint neighborhood. :) you can even walk to Lincoln Memorial and back ... a good 15 mins.

We wanted to check our the pool, but was being renovated. Another con, elevators are super slow! Overall, a pleasant experience. Would def come back! Thanks for the cookies and bottled water.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
JonSallinen, General Manager at Residence Inn Washington, DC/Foggy Bottom, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
smellyphant37,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. We are very excited with the transition to our new brand and all of the great staff will remain in place during and after the transition. Our pool opens Memorial Day Weekend and with the nice weather we are having this week we are considering opening a week earlier. We look forward to your return.

Richmond, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Based on the mixed reviews here and on other sites my expectations for this property were fairly low, but we booked it anyway as it was a great price for a true suite during Spring Break trip with young kids. So glad we did! Turns out the hotel is really well located, updated, comfortable, and a great value. The staff was delightful and accommodating, beds very comfortable and the room was clean, stylish and perfect for a family stay. Parking is available on site (pricey but not unreasonably so for the area) and the breakfast of pastries and fruit is a bit underwhelming (though the Starbucks coffee was welcome) and the gym is pretty minimal, but all was more than adequate, especially given the price. One caution: the hotel is about to transition to a Residence Inn and a renovation has been announced so future conditions may not reflect the excellent experience we enjoyed.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
scm Richmond,

Thank you for taking the chance and I am glad you were satisfied. We have been putting a lot of effort to make sure that we are living up to the hospitality we promise to deliver and I am glad to see how much we have improved. We have taken months to plan out the renovation so it will have minimal impact on our valued guests. We look forward to seeing you back at the property so you can see what we have accomplished.

Jon Sallinen

Been to Residence Inn Washington, DC/Foggy Bottom? Share your experiences!