“Great Rooms, wonderful staff.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Residence Inn Washington, DC/Foggy Bottom

You added Residence Inn Washington, DC/Foggy Bottom to your Saves list
Residence Inn Washington, DC/Foggy Bottom
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   801 New Hampshire Avenue NW, Washington DC, DC 20037 (Foggy Bottom - GWU - West End)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #58 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
charleston, wv
“Great Rooms, wonderful staff.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

This is a wonderful, low key, and comfortable hotel. It's practically on the George Washington campus and it's only a few blocks from the Kennedy Center. It's also on a charming residential street. It's easily accessible, quiet and has valet parking. The staff is friendly and helpful and the rooms are fantastic. I had a suite, complete with full kitchen and separate living room area. It makes for a much more pleasant homelike stay and it was very reasonably priced.

I personally do not like loud, over lit, impersonal corporate, cookie-cutter hotels and avoid them if at all possible. This hotel is warm and welcoming and the staff was very, very friendly and helpful. Also, there is a wonderful Italian Bistro and bar directly across the street that I highly recommend. I walked only two blocks to Circa's and had one of the best meals in my life.

I highly recommend this hotel and will gladly stay there again. It's especially good for going to the Kennedy Center and it's an easy in and out of town as well.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
JonSallinen, General Manager at Residence Inn Washington, DC/Foggy Bottom, responded to this review, December 18, 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to respond about your most recent stay. We are glad that you enjoyed our wonderful hotel with the best location in Washington DC. We hope to see you in the near future and wishing you and your Family Happy Holidays!!!!!

Jon Sallinen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Northbrook, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

Just happened to check out my VISA charges this morning and discovered a $50 charge from the Doubletree. Turns out they charged $50 against my credit card in the event that I charged anything at the hotel. First of all, I'm not sure what there is that you could charge there. There's no restaurant or special amenities that I'm aware of. Secondly, I felt it was very sneaky to charge this amount to my credit card without bothering to mention it to me. Even if it were in the fine print, they should have brought this to my attention so we could have had a face-to-face discussion about it. And, of course, this fee won't be refunded to my credit card for 5 to 7 business days. This seems pretty unethical, although I'm sure their manager will write some response to this saying I should have known or something.

The only reason this hotel can survive is its wonderful location near the Kennedy Center. Otherwise it's pretty old and dated. The full kitchen turned out to be a two-pod coffeemaker for a grand total of two cups of coffee, no bowls in our suite for cereal, and two plates and a couple pots, not exactly a functional kitchen. The bed sagged towards the middle, so we both woke up with stiff backs.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay at our hotel. We are very sorry you were unhappy with our guestrooms. We appreciate your feedback, and will keep your comments in mind while we work to improve our guest experience. However, I would like to apologize for the authorization hold that was placed on your card. We will address our front desk staff in regards to this incident, and we again apologize for the inconvenience. We hope you’ll stay with us again soon and tell us what you think about our improvements.

Happy Holiday's to you and your family!!!!

Methuen, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

I was looking for a hotel that was close to everything on my 'to do' list and because the price wasn't right on Embassy Row, this Double Tree was my 2nd choice. But if ever in DC again, we will definitely book at this hotel.
The room/s were wonderful. Separate bedroom with king bed with en suite, a 'living room' area along with a kitchennette complete with full sized fridge, sink, etc. Clean and exceptionally comfortable. All for the cost of a regular hotel room! And warm chocolate chip cookies at check in? Yum!
Looking out our window on New Hampshire Ave., the Watergate Hotel/office building can be seen right down the street. Also within walking distance is the Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts (which offers a shuttle service as well at the Foggy Bottom Metro stop a short walk from the hotel). The Metro was easy to figure out and the hotel easy enough to find when we got off at Foggy Bottom. Pennsylvania Ave. is only a couple blocks away and the White House is a 20 minute walk. With DC being a wonderful and safe walking city, the Double Tree is perfect for everything you'll want to visit either on foot or via the super metro system.
We hope to visit again soon.

Room Tip: No restaurant on site...restaurant across the street only barely acceptable for breakfast...better t...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
NYC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

I was unimpressed with this hotel. When we checked in it was raining, the street in front of the hotel was blocked off b/c of construction and we went into the back entrance.
Everyone was very nice but I was turned off at the decor of everything I wanted to check out before I even checked in.
Coming and going was annoying me b/c of the contruction in the front of the hotel door.
There was sand and dirt everywhere and my shoes were a mess.
If you can find another place to stay you should do that!
Not a pleasant experience.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
kigali
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

It's located within walking distance of a lot of things: 2 minutes from the metro, 5-10 mins from the World Bank Buildings, and 10 mins from George town. The suites are big - nice size room, bathroom, living room with work desk and kitchen with fridge. This place could be really good if it was just renovated a bit and the staff working the front desk were better at customer service. There is no restaurant in the hotel but delivery is pretty easy.

Room Tip: Make sure not to get either of the rooms right by the elevator as they are loud.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Chesapeake
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

This hotel has lots of potential, great Foggy Bottom location, very near 1st DC Metro stop on the Orange/Blue lines, nicely arranged and very spacious rooms. However, I would only stay there again in a pinch. Here's why -- I never felt that the staff really cared about customer service (with the exception of one doorman who went out of his way to assist with dinner options). I suspect there is a lack of management focus on honest customer service.

I checked in when the hot water was out in the entire hotel. I discovered this when I tried to shower after working out. THE FRONT DESK DID NOT TELL ME WHEN I CHECKED IN. I found this to be deceptive. The water remained out overnight despite assurance that someone was on the way to repair it. I don't mind taking a cold shower in the morning and I understand that these things happen occassionally. However, there was no visible attempt by the hotel to mitigate this problem with the guests. With a manager present at the front desk I inquired what the hotel planned to do for its guests. The manager quickly left the area, it appeared she did not want to confront the issue. The receptionist went to the back room and when she returned she promised 4000 HHonors points. No apology, and no affirmative action to alert guests about the points. I got the feeling they were hoping no one would ask.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
JonSallinen, General Manager at Residence Inn Washington, DC/Foggy Bottom, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Steve A,

Thank you for your feedback regarding our water heaters. We’re sorry we didn’t provide you with the quality of services and amenities you deserve. We know how important a hot shower is and your comments will help us to improve the situation. However, I would like to apologize for the level of service you received while staying with us. We want you to know that we will address all team members regarding this incident. We hope you’ll give us another chance and stay at our location again in the future and if there is anything I can do to rectify this, please don’t hesitate to contact me directly.

East Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

Let me start by saying the staff at this ill appointed hotel was great. Once again, we checked in incredibly late...valet was available and willing to assist with our bags, parking our truck and the front desk clerk was sweet and willing to assist, as well...our room (810) had curtains with holes in them (living room area), a couch that needed to be re-upholstered or tossed, a loud refrigerator and the bed was mediocre at best...we chose not to complain because the staff was really outstanding, we were tired and in no mood to lug our stuff to yet another room. The hotel is conveniently located close to the Metro and Georgetown....there is a Whole Foods nearby--great for picking up snacks (that can be refrigerated). I used to think Doubletree was an esteemed brand, but it appears that Hilton is letting these establishments deteriorate. I am sure this hotel fills up with people visiting Georgetown; however, I would hesitate to visit a Doubletree again...this is my second experience with a dilapidated establishment with the doubletree name...the only one I think may live up to the standard is in NYC (near Times Square). And there are no cookies for the guests anymore...I was happy to see the coffee service and fruit, though...this hotel does not have a restaurant and room service is...room service prices...this was my second stay in a Hilton hotel in one week, this time I got smart and brought my own wifi hot spot, so I don't know if they were charging per device like the Embassy Suites in Hunt Valley.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
JonSallinen, General Manager at Residence Inn Washington, DC/Foggy Bottom, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
Janet S.,

Thank you for taking the time to highlight your positive and some of the negative experience you most recently had. I am working with the team to make sure that we address all of your concerns. I am glad you enjoyed the aspect of the Starbucks Coffee and fresh fruit that we provide in our lobby. I am disappointed you were not able to enjoy one of our signature cookies. We still offering them 7 days a week and I need to investigate why did not receive one. I hope you will decide to give our property another chance and let us show you our improvements we are making. Thank you again for your candid feedback and hopefully we will see you again.

Jon Sallinen

Been to Residence Inn Washington, DC/Foggy Bottom? Share your experiences!