“Danielle helped make my trip much more enjoyable.” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #28 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
Brooklyn
“Danielle helped make my trip much more enjoyable.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

This is a fantastic property for extended stays with a really nice kitchen including a dishwasher. Spacious. Free Wi-Fi. A fantastic value.

I had no problem getting around the city and the area was clearly a very safe, if business-oriented neighborhood.

Danielle at the front desk was great. She helped me get a complimentary upgrade to a 1 bedroom and was able to accommodate my request for an early check-in. It really made a huge difference to a very weary traveler. She was gracious, polite and efficient!

I did not use many of the amenities including the concierge, but I definitely appreciated how he would greet me and say goodbye when I left. He was very friendly and made me feel welcome.

I'd definitely, definitely choose this hotel again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
Upper Marlboro, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

I hosted a surprise birthday party for my best friend here in a two bedroom suite! It was perfect! Very clean and the walls held the noise of 20 drunk adults. I kept checking from the outside to ensure the volume was ok and you couldn't hear a sound! It was well worth the price tag of close to $350! I would definitely stay again. Great staff

Room Tip: Corner suite was secluded and perfect for the amount of people we invited.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Pembroke, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

I had purchased a Groupon Deal for this hotel for a one night stay. It was my boyfriends birthday and we decided to visit to see some of the historical sites. We got to the hotel really early and none of the rooms that were included in the deal were available yet so the women at the concierge upgraded us to a suite which was very nice! Included in the deal was a bottle of wine given to us upon check in and a free in room movie. They had movies right on their TVs like Netflix you just choose one and watch it which was awesome after a long day of walking.

There aren't a lot of places to eat immediately near the hotel, there was one pizza place across the street but we just ended up eating inside the museums so it wasn't a big deal. The hotel does give you free breakfast in their cafe area in the morning which was quite delicious. They have a make your own waffle station which I ate way too much of along with fresh fruit, eggs, pastries.

The hotel staff were nice, the location was perfect being within walking distance of the museums and train stations, and it was overall a good first trip to the DC area.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

My family of 5 is staying here now, arrived 2 days ago. Convenient location to mall and smithsonians, free breakfast in the morning is extensive and different choices daily. We had the free "evening reception" tonight which became dinner for us after a long day of sight seeing. They had a big baked potato bar, chili, salad, popcorn, cookies. The pool is smallish but the kids have been enjoying it and the hot tub. Concierge is helpful with good ideas. I told them the afternoon we arrived I was considering a night monuments tour and they got us tickets and we were picked up from the hotel, and it was a great tour. The hotel is nothing fancy but it is clean and comfortable with room options for 5 people which many other downtown hotels, even some which are much more expensive, do not. We are staying in the front in the 5th floor so have had no issues with train noise as others reported.

• Stayed April 2013
Upper Saddle River, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013 via mobile

Beware of the train in back, isolated from tourist locations

We took our 7 and 5 year old kids for the first time to live the memorials that they studied in school. Unfortunately, this hotel and location was not appropriate for our tourist needs. There were only one casual pizza joint available next store. The hotel is in a business area where everything closes after 5PM including the weekends. The concierge informed us about a waterfront restaurant CANTINA MARINA that was a 10 minute walk, but when you walk with little children, you can increase to a 25 minute walk. The CANTINA is not kid friendly at all.

There are three conveniences to this hotel: great buffet breakfast, indoor pool and close to Metro. The family friendly hot and cold breakfast buffet with a waffle station and several toppings, eggs, fruit salad and breads with cereals was a hit. The waiting staff was amazing and you never felt you had to wait for a table. The service was superior. Tip is to get to breakfast on weekends before 8AM or wait until after 9:00AM. The indoor pool is heated with a nice jacuzzi for rainy days or fun at night. The Metro stop was a few blocks away.

Please make a very important note to front desk when checking in to make sure your hotel room is close to the street and away from back. Why??? There is a very LOUD train that is right behind the hotel. We heard the train a few times throughout the night even when I requested a room away from the back as another trip advisor member suggested, thank you!

If you have young children and would like a few suggestions for 4 days we did the following; Day 1- Cherry blossoms, Washington monument view (closed now for renovations) reflection pool by Lincoln Memorial. Some of the museums close at 5:30 from Monday to Thursday in the Spring, but open until 7:30 during weekends and Summer time.

Day 2- Ford's theatre- fantastic, but get tickets in the morning. There are no tours if shows in the afternoon are going on. $5 tickets for museum, live performance of reenactment of Lincoln's shooting and a tour across the street where Lincoln was taken to the house where he died. Bureau and Engraving tour was great for the kids and they received a shredded bag of $25 where my daughter said " I am going to glue back all the pieces!" Luckily, someone placed a Chinese menu under our door. We had to eat Chinese takeout food with no restaurant close by our hotel. We had a great time swimming and our son loved the jacuzzi. The hotel provided nice swimming towels.

Day 3- free guided tour of Air & Space museum, played with the kids on the mall while walking to Botanical gardens. I would recommend the children's garden area and the West side to try different scents of plants. Since our hotel did not have a restaurant on site, we had to go a few blocks away to the Holiday Inn Capitol. A wonderful American style buffet at CAPITOL21 for $21.95 and kids eat free from a kid friendly menu.

Day 4- parking on site was helpful, but was $35 per day. We left and drove by the White House and then went to our final destination- Washington Zoo. We would recommend parking by lots D and E to easily stay by the kid section. it may be hard at first walking up hills but it will be easier to leave with the kids walking down the hills. We loved the Panda and there was a great children's playground section with a very cool pizza to play on with fun toppings and a nearby restaurant.

We would probably look into the Hampton Inn Capitol or Embassy Suites for future visits as long as breakfast and large rooms are provided. As the kids get a little older we would do a bike tour with so much walking. Our son was tired easily and asked to go on daddy's shoulders often!

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Uniontown, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013 via mobile

James Graham (front desk supervisor) is a One of a kind employee that made our visit to DC awesome right from the start. I have never seen Random acts of kindness or customer service like he had displayed unless you've complained about something.

1. Soon as we had arrived he had advised us that parking was free on weekends or we could park in garage for $30. He gave Holocaust tickets to avoid lines, gave us DC map, and advised us to book international spy tickets from business center printer.

2. He had a ton of pins on so we started to talk about how my son has a pin collection as well. He asked my son which was his favorite and gave it to him. That made my 9yr old son so excited. For my 13yr. old daughter he threw in a free movie pass. She was also very pleased.

3. After finding out that it was our first time staying there he threw in additional surprise: instead of giving us keys to the queen and pull out bed that we had booked, he gave us the executive suite with the best view of the capital from it's private balcony, a living room with pull out bed, kitchen, two bath rooms, and king size private room. This made the whole family excited.

I've been in management for years and have never seen service go this beyond. We will definitely be retuning there on our next visit thanks to James and we will be joining the Marriott reward members family!

Cost with tax: 250
Amenities we liked: walking distance to dc museums and free breakfast.
Most enjoyed: Customer Service
Cleanliness and comfort: A+
Would recommend: most definitely

• Stayed April 2013
Romeoville, Illinois, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

First off would like to say I would have given 5 stars if not for my experience first arriving at the hotel. I should start by saying, the hotel is very clean, nice decor, convenient to metro and has a awesomely friendly staff. Full of families with kids so staff is well versed in handling those unforeseen kid spills and accidents while keeping the hotel itself and the pool area clean during swim play of at least 40 kids at any given moment. The facility is great, front desk staff and the front desk manager Stephanie Henry should be commended for redeeming the hotel from my first impression. Ok so here is my BUT... We always take the train to DC from Chicgo. This time my 9 year old son some how sprained his knee just moments before we pulled into union station. Screaming with pain, he & my husband were met at the platform and taken to the hospital. I along with my other two sons (9 & 18 months) and my girl friend went onto the hotel with all of our bags and baby stroller. I admit, because of my husband & son having to go to the hospital after a 17 hour train ride I wasn't in the best mood when I arrived at the hotel by taxi. But I was most upset when the taxi driver had to go in and ask if someone could help unload my bags only to be told the hotel does not have a bellman. That is fine but there were at least 2 men in the lobby who could have come to my assistance but chose either not to or to finish sending a text on their phone. The taxi driver had to get out and help me get in the hotel. UUUUGGGGHHHH! I hate it when people let their phones get in the way of doing their jobs (in HOSPITALITY!) or being courteous. I didn't express my frustration at the time because it may have gotten really ugly so I waited until the next morning. I spoke to Stephanie about my experience and before even an hour went by I had a message on hotel phone with an apology and she "made things right." I would definitely stay at this hotel again and would hope this was just a one time episode.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Been to Residence Inn Washington, DC/Capitol? Share your experiences!