“Expensive hotel with average service near DC down town” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hampton Inn Washington, DC - Convention Center

You added Hampton Inn Washington, DC - Convention Center to your Saves list
Hampton Inn Washington, DC - Convention Center
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   901 6th Street NW, at Massachusetts Avenue Northwest, Washington DC, DC 20001 (Downtown / Chinatown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Earn 2x Points
Ranked #44 of 135 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Hengelo, Overijssel, Netherlands
“Expensive hotel with average service near DC down town”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

Typical Hampton Inn with a very expensive valet service. I must say that the breakfast is great with fresh fruit, the best I have had in the Hampton Inns. The staff of the breakfast area is very friendly and are personal, I lake that. The elevator is slow and sometime you have to wait long.

The Wifi is free but slow, you have to reconnect several times a day. It takes a long time (5 minted) for the shower to be warm. Start you breakfast as early as you can, it can be very crowded in the breakfast area. The TV signal is sometimes very week and you are unable to follow any program on TV.

Room Tip: All the room are the same except for the view. Because they are building in front of the hotel, that...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
John V, General Manager at Hampton Inn Washington, DC - Convention Center, responded to this review, July 20, 2014
Dear Guest:

Thank you for staying with us and providing feedback regarding service experience. Our Hotel remain very popular with tourists as well as convention attendees. As you have noted, our team works deligently to ensure experience of each guest to be first class. Yes, facility can be at times filled with people enjoying themselves during peak breakfast hours or during arrival periods. Valet parking is exceptionally rated by our guests who typically travel to Major metro centers; pricing at our location is a value compared to local self parking garages.

Thank you for your loyalty to Hampton brands and Hilton family of Hotels.

Sincerely

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Manila
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

Worst experience so far. Our flight was delayed due to weather conditions, so we checked in late in this hotel. We have already booked the hotel online for 4 nights. So when we arrived early morning, the receptionist which we later found out to be the GM, told us they dont have any rooms available. My husband and I were so annoyed. We got stuck in the airport overnight then we arrived in this hotel practically just telling us they already gave out our room. So beware if you booked in this hotel, then flights got delayed you may end up having no hotel room at all. The GM instead of helping us out, insisting on they will charge us because it is a "no show". I cant believe that. We are there, with no room, being charged a fee, not getting a room...really worst hotel ever.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest:

We are sorry that you were unable to get room at the Hotel after delays at the Airport due to Hotel being sold out. I will look into your matter with our Assistant GM and to ensure she did everything possible to accommodate you after a stressful airline experience.

Let me know how may assist you.

sincerey
South San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

My family of 4 stayed at the Hampton in July 2014 for 6 nights. We arrived at Dulles airport and took the 5A Metro Bus to L'Enfant Plaza Station ($7). From there we bought a SmarTrip pass and took the Metro train to Gallery Place Station. After exiting the station we walked approximately 3 blocks to get to the Hampton. To our surprise we were able to check in even though it was 9:30 AM. Check-in was very smooth and we received a room with 2 queen beds on the 8th floor. The room was clean, well laid out, and in very good condition. Beds were firm and each bed had 4 pillows. The room had a mini-refrigerator, a safe, a functioning clock radio, and I believe a 32" TV. Closet size was adequate and there was a dresser and medium sized desk. The bathroom was large and the vanity had plenty of counter space. The shower and toilet operated without any issues. The AC was a bit noisy but functioned flawlessly. Wifi was easy to connect to and the speed was excellent. The complementary breakfast buffet consisted of 3 rotating primary breakfast items each day and standard juices, fruits, waffles, bagels, danish, yogurt, and cereals. All were good and an excellent way to start off the day. Freshly baked cookies are also available Monday-Thursday evenings at the lobby main desk. Housekeeping and hotel staff were pleasant and friendly. The proximity of the hotel to the Metro Station made it very easy to get around DC. The hotel is within walking distance to attractions like the Spy Museum, Ford's Theater and the White House and there are also many restaurants in the vicinity, including the ones in Chinatown if you want to go somewhere close after a tiring day of sightseeing.
Overall, I would say the Hampton is a very nice hotel. The only negative, if there is one, is the surrounding neighborhood. The park across the street from the hotel and the streets adjacent to the metro station can be a bit intimidating at times.

Dear Guest:

We thank you for staying with us and providing us detailed service experience. I am sure your detail of travel would help first customers to washington DC. Hotel location is one of our strong suites with Convention attendees, Verizon Center sports/concert attendees and generally guests who would like to see the city on foot.

Our team would like to thank you for choosing our Hotel over many choices in the City. As always, while travelling to a major Metro we encourage guests to map out walking tour of the city in advance to get the best view of our great city.

Thank you for staying with us!

Sicerely,
Cortland, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

Stayed here twice in a period of 9 days, with spouse and two kids. We found the rooms clean and quite comfortable, the staff friendly and helpful, and the breakfast in the morning delicious and substantial. Staff let us leave luggage early when we arrived before check-in. They helped us find the address of an Ethiopian restaurant (and its phone numbers), gave us a touristy map, and were consistently cheerful. The kitchen folks kept the breakfast area full of surprisingly tasty (well-seasoned, not wet and runny, good!) scrambled eggs, as well as home fries and sausage links and patties. The fresh fruit selection was fine, not bruised or anything. The make-it-yourself waffle station was a hit with my schoolboy son, and my toddler enjoyed the chance to sample a little bit of everything--but especially the yogurt. Staff did their jobs efficiently and (apparently) cheerfully, which made for a really nice break on our driving trip. I'd stay again.

The Mall and the Smithsonians are perfectly walkable from this spot. We even walked down to the Lincoln Memorial, with 5-yr-old walking and toddler in the stroller. It was really a great chance to introduce the family to some of DC.
(Oh, and we parked 2 blocks away in an open (attended) lot for $8 per day, rather than using the $40 valet parking at the hotel.)

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
John V, General Manager at Hampton Inn Washington, DC - Convention Center, responded to this review, July 18, 2014
Dear Guest:

We are delighted that your experience with our hotel during your stay was perfect and in line with your expectations. Our entire team would like to thank you for choosing to stay with us!

Please continue to remain loyal to Hilton family of brands and to our Hampton in particular for all your travel needs.

We look forward to welcoming you to our Hotel in the future.

Gulf Breeze, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

The location and price of the hotel were the clinchers for me on this trip. Don't expect anything too wonderful, it is an average hotel with average amenities. The menu at the hotel restaurant was awful and lacking, go out or order in through a service. That said, everything else was very average and acceptable. I'd stay there again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Dear Guest:

Your comments are much appreciated. Our entire team takes much delight in providing memorably service "hamptonality" to all our guests- we are dissappointed that the Hotel didn't deliver exceptional service that we are known for. We will continue to strive!

We hope to see you return to our Hotel and experience wonderful service that you'll write about-

SW Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

We stayed at the Hampton Inn for July 4th weekend, 3 nights/4 days.

The Hampton Inn DC Convention Center was a great choice for our DC stay. The location is great--a good walk for our family of 4 to get to the museums and right next to Chinatown. We also took a cab to save time, and it only cost us $10 to get to/from the museums, so very reasonable. Easy access to the bus (although we didn't take it). Not sure about the subway system because we didn't use it.

Check-in was chaotic! It was very busy and there was a high school group there in the lobby, so very loud and hard to get to the elevators. The valet was full but we found cheaper parking around the corner (a very short walk!). Welcome to a big city, where you will pay handsomely for parking! We ended up leaving our car at that other lot the entire time we were there! We had requested to add another night at check-in since we decided on the way down we could indeed stay one more day. More on that later....

The lobby is very nice and clean--the World Cup was on and there was free coffee and ice water. That coffee came in very handy at times! They even had cookies for the kids one evening which was very nice!

There are only 2 elevators, and we stayed on the 6th floor. When it is very busy, there is a wait for the elevators! By Sunday evening it got less busy, and the elevators were much easier to use.

The room was small but functional. I say small because I'm used to staying in suites or timeshares! It was a basic room with 2 queen beds. We tried to upgrade to a suite but there were none available on the busy weekend. The room was VERY clean (and if you read my other reviews, I'm a stickler on a clean room). There was a mini-fridge and microwave, which are necessities for us when traveling with young kids. I will say there was a LOT of storage, more than I have seen at other hotels. Lots of drawers to put things away, great use of a storage ottoman! The bathroom was clean and I had no issues with water pressure, even on the busy days. I have a thing against wallpaper in bathrooms, but at least it was clean and not peeling or distressed looking. The TV--the channels barely came in, or froze, or the sound was distorted. There were no storms and we made sure the connection in the back was secured (it was). The internet was shaky--make sure you are only logging in the way they said so (more on that later, too). I thought the room was very quiet and where we were (room 614) I could not hear traffic. I could hear the construction next door, but it did not bother us at all.

We did use the pool--it is SMALL but the water was clean. The hot tub was right next to it, but it did not make bubbles. It got busy quickly so we didn't stay too long. Despite it being busy there were still clean towels available!

The breakfast was great! While the quality of the food was basic, the service and staff earn perfect 10s from me! The hot breakfast consisted of eggs, sausage, sometimes potatoes, and the waffle machine. There were other options like cereal, oatmeal, hard boiled eggs, and bagels. There were juice, tea, and coffee options as well. The staff was beyond excellent. They made everything so clean, there was never a shortage of food (even with the VERY busy Saturday and Sunday mornings), they asked if we needed anything or if we needed help, they always made sure utensils were stocked and cleaned tables to make room for more guests. They all deserve a raise or some type of recognition because they were on point every morning!

We did have 2 issues during our stay. First, we added an additional night. Typically room prices change (drop) Sunday through Thursday. When we added the additional night (Sunday), we were not quoted anything. I checked online at their website and saw the rate change, even with it being a holiday weekend. Upon check-out we were charged the higher rate. After a phone call to the supervisor on duty, the issue was resolved quickly. Also, the internet is supposed to be free, which is a real treat in DC and one of the reasons why we choose this hotel. Our bill had 2-$5 charges for internet. When you log into the internet, you are supposed to choose the complimentary option and use the username and password, which we did every time. Since I am working on my Masters online, I needed to use the internet daily, and logged on how I was supposed to. Again, this was resolved quickly. Since these were resolved quickly, I don't feel the need to reduce my rating. However, more clarity needs to be relayed by the hotel for adding nights (discuss the rate, give an estimate) and internet use.

1 more minor issue--get larger trash cans for the rooms! LOL the cans were super tiny; I think my purse was larger!

For food--make sure you stop by Chinatown Express. This is the BEST Chinese food I have had (with the exception of getting food in Hawaii). Their fried dumplings are fresh and handmade, and I could not get enough of them! Their noodles are made by hand and are delicious!

Extras: The gentleman who checked us out was awesome, and the concierge (?) in the lobby was very helpful in directing us how to get places. There is an ATM in the little Suite Shop, and it only charged me $2.50. There is a CVS around the corner and a Walgreens in Chinatown. Hailing a cab--walk towards Chinatown and go to the little turn in front of the apartment complex next door. There are lots of cabs that travel on the main road, and we were able to get one quickly. There is a fire station on the same street going towards Chinatown, so it is a guarantee you will hear sirens during your stay! The view from our room was the apartments and back of the complex next door, nothing exciting to see.

Overall our stay was very nice, and we would definitely stay again!

Room Tip: Higher rooms past the 9th floor cost more. I thought the 6th floor was fine!
Green Features: They tried to have recycle in the room, but it was half of an already teeny tiny trashcan! They do have a sign to have you keep your towel vs. get a replacement.

Thank you for writing!

We are delighted that your stay with our hotel was to your liking and exceeded expectations. Our team is glad to have been of service to you. As always, please feel free to write to us directly to offer suggestions to improve our service delivery.

We look forwad to having you visit with us again! Thank you for your loyalty.

Cary, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

Hampton Inn is not my fav of hotel chains, but the location and good reviews made me give this one a second look. Unfortunately it did not live up to those reviews, but it was ok. The bar + food was basically that. The breakfast was not impressive and I ended up down the street at Cosi or Bruegger's instead. The neighborhood was a bit noisy, although I admit I'm not sure exactly where the noise was coming from. My window view was in close proximity to apartments, some with no curtains, which made me feel uncomfortable enough to close mine. The tv froze every minute or two, so it was hard to watch anything even late late at night. I don't know how to explain it, but the overall room had an unclean feel and I found myself washing my hands more often than usual. The bed was ok, but the bath towels were hands down the scratchiest I had ever had in any hotel so actually, they lost me there since in my world, comfort is everything!

Room Tip: Ask for a room that does NOT have a view of the adjoining apartments.
Green Features: I did notice their already small trashcans were divided to say "trash" and "recycle" leaving very little room for either. But I appreciated the effort!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
John V, General Manager at Hampton Inn Washington, DC - Convention Center, responded to this review, July 10, 2014
Dear Guest:

Thank you for staying with us and providing feedback regarding recent stay experience at our Hotel. We are dissppointed that you didn't feel the level of service experience that we typcially deliver. We will continue to strive to provide you and others with Hampton branded service "hamptonality" that is memorable.

We hope that you'll eventually find sufficient comfort and care that you are seeking in a Hampton Branded Hotel; preferrably ours!