“Our DC stay....pretty good!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hampton Inn Washington, DC - Convention Center

You added Hampton Inn Washington, DC - Convention Center to your Saves list
Hampton Inn Washington, DC - Convention Center
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   901 6th Street NW, at Massachusetts Avenue Northwest, Washington DC, DC 20001 (Downtown / Chinatown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Earn 2x Points
Ranked #48 of 131 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
SW Massachusetts
“Our DC stay....pretty good!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

We stayed at the Hampton Inn for July 4th weekend, 3 nights/4 days.

The Hampton Inn DC Convention Center was a great choice for our DC stay. The location is great--a good walk for our family of 4 to get to the museums and right next to Chinatown. We also took a cab to save time, and it only cost us $10 to get to/from the museums, so very reasonable. Easy access to the bus (although we didn't take it). Not sure about the subway system because we didn't use it.

Check-in was chaotic! It was very busy and there was a high school group there in the lobby, so very loud and hard to get to the elevators. The valet was full but we found cheaper parking around the corner (a very short walk!). Welcome to a big city, where you will pay handsomely for parking! We ended up leaving our car at that other lot the entire time we were there! We had requested to add another night at check-in since we decided on the way down we could indeed stay one more day. More on that later....

The lobby is very nice and clean--the World Cup was on and there was free coffee and ice water. That coffee came in very handy at times! They even had cookies for the kids one evening which was very nice!

There are only 2 elevators, and we stayed on the 6th floor. When it is very busy, there is a wait for the elevators! By Sunday evening it got less busy, and the elevators were much easier to use.

The room was small but functional. I say small because I'm used to staying in suites or timeshares! It was a basic room with 2 queen beds. We tried to upgrade to a suite but there were none available on the busy weekend. The room was VERY clean (and if you read my other reviews, I'm a stickler on a clean room). There was a mini-fridge and microwave, which are necessities for us when traveling with young kids. I will say there was a LOT of storage, more than I have seen at other hotels. Lots of drawers to put things away, great use of a storage ottoman! The bathroom was clean and I had no issues with water pressure, even on the busy days. I have a thing against wallpaper in bathrooms, but at least it was clean and not peeling or distressed looking. The TV--the channels barely came in, or froze, or the sound was distorted. There were no storms and we made sure the connection in the back was secured (it was). The internet was shaky--make sure you are only logging in the way they said so (more on that later, too). I thought the room was very quiet and where we were (room 614) I could not hear traffic. I could hear the construction next door, but it did not bother us at all.

We did use the pool--it is SMALL but the water was clean. The hot tub was right next to it, but it did not make bubbles. It got busy quickly so we didn't stay too long. Despite it being busy there were still clean towels available!

The breakfast was great! While the quality of the food was basic, the service and staff earn perfect 10s from me! The hot breakfast consisted of eggs, sausage, sometimes potatoes, and the waffle machine. There were other options like cereal, oatmeal, hard boiled eggs, and bagels. There were juice, tea, and coffee options as well. The staff was beyond excellent. They made everything so clean, there was never a shortage of food (even with the VERY busy Saturday and Sunday mornings), they asked if we needed anything or if we needed help, they always made sure utensils were stocked and cleaned tables to make room for more guests. They all deserve a raise or some type of recognition because they were on point every morning!

We did have 2 issues during our stay. First, we added an additional night. Typically room prices change (drop) Sunday through Thursday. When we added the additional night (Sunday), we were not quoted anything. I checked online at their website and saw the rate change, even with it being a holiday weekend. Upon check-out we were charged the higher rate. After a phone call to the supervisor on duty, the issue was resolved quickly. Also, the internet is supposed to be free, which is a real treat in DC and one of the reasons why we choose this hotel. Our bill had 2-$5 charges for internet. When you log into the internet, you are supposed to choose the complimentary option and use the username and password, which we did every time. Since I am working on my Masters online, I needed to use the internet daily, and logged on how I was supposed to. Again, this was resolved quickly. Since these were resolved quickly, I don't feel the need to reduce my rating. However, more clarity needs to be relayed by the hotel for adding nights (discuss the rate, give an estimate) and internet use.

1 more minor issue--get larger trash cans for the rooms! LOL the cans were super tiny; I think my purse was larger!

For food--make sure you stop by Chinatown Express. This is the BEST Chinese food I have had (with the exception of getting food in Hawaii). Their fried dumplings are fresh and handmade, and I could not get enough of them! Their noodles are made by hand and are delicious!

Extras: The gentleman who checked us out was awesome, and the concierge (?) in the lobby was very helpful in directing us how to get places. There is an ATM in the little Suite Shop, and it only charged me $2.50. There is a CVS around the corner and a Walgreens in Chinatown. Hailing a cab--walk towards Chinatown and go to the little turn in front of the apartment complex next door. There are lots of cabs that travel on the main road, and we were able to get one quickly. There is a fire station on the same street going towards Chinatown, so it is a guarantee you will hear sirens during your stay! The view from our room was the apartments and back of the complex next door, nothing exciting to see.

Overall our stay was very nice, and we would definitely stay again!

Room Tip: Higher rooms past the 9th floor cost more. I thought the 6th floor was fine!
Green Features: They tried to have recycle in the room, but it was half of an already teeny tiny trashcan! They do have a sign to have you keep your towel vs. get a replacement.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
John V, General Manager at Hampton Inn Washington, DC - Convention Center, responded to this review, July 18, 2014

Thank you for writing!

We are delighted that your stay with our hotel was to your liking and exceeded expectations. Our team is glad to have been of service to you. As always, please feel free to write to us directly to offer suggestions to improve our service delivery.

We look forwad to having you visit with us again! Thank you for your loyalty.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Apex, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

Hampton Inn is not my fav of hotel chains, but the location and good reviews made me give this one a second look. Unfortunately it did not live up to those reviews, but it was ok. The bar + food was basically that. The breakfast was not impressive and I ended up down the street at Cosi or Bruegger's instead. The neighborhood was a bit noisy, although I admit I'm not sure exactly where the noise was coming from. My window view was in close proximity to apartments, some with no curtains, which made me feel uncomfortable enough to close mine. The tv froze every minute or two, so it was hard to watch anything even late late at night. I don't know how to explain it, but the overall room had an unclean feel and I found myself washing my hands more often than usual. The bed was ok, but the bath towels were hands down the scratchiest I had ever had in any hotel so actually, they lost me there since in my world, comfort is everything!

Room Tip: Ask for a room that does NOT have a view of the adjoining apartments.
Green Features: I did notice their already small trashcans were divided to say "trash" and "recycle" leaving very little room for either. But I appreciated the effort!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
John V, General Manager at Hampton Inn Washington, DC - Convention Center, responded to this review, July 10, 2014
Dear Guest:

Thank you for staying with us and providing feedback regarding recent stay experience at our Hotel. We are dissppointed that you didn't feel the level of service experience that we typcially deliver. We will continue to strive to provide you and others with Hampton branded service "hamptonality" that is memorable.

We hope that you'll eventually find sufficient comfort and care that you are seeking in a Hampton Branded Hotel; preferrably ours!

Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

If available we always choose to stay in a Hampton Inn. We picked this one for it's location only a mile or so from the Washington Mall, Smithsonian Museums, Union Station and other attractions. The staff was very helpful and gave us some great tips on dining options (You must eat the the Busboys and Poets located nearby) and more. Rooms are quiet and comfortable.

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

John V, General Manager at Hampton Inn Washington, DC - Convention Center, responded to this review, July 8, 2014

Thank you for writing!

We sincerely appreciate your loyalty to Hampton Brand of Hotels and choosing to stay with us. we are delighted that our Team of professionals had positive impact on your visitor experience to our Nations Capitol.

Your choice of "Bus Boys and Poets" was excellent!. Our Hotel offers light menu and coctails at our unique outlet " 6th street Bar + Food".

We hope to see you next time you visit DC.

Divonne-les-Bains, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

This Hampton Inn is very close the organisation I was visiting for business so convenience was the main reason for choosing it, as well as the hope that one day my Hilton Honours membership will actually be useful in getting me a room or upgrade. I am very sensitive to noise - street noise, next door room TV noise , ice machine , elevators etc. so asked to check out the rooms facing the back and not on the busy main street - Chris on the reception was amazing in accommodating my needs, looking for the best room and making sure it was reserved for me for the next night ( I was in a different hotel first ). I was given a room rate of more than $100 lower than the internet rate straight away - which included the internet access and breakfast. Excellent value overall - Breakfast does have a range of hot, cereals, breads etc. but is very "packaged" as there is no real kitchen here . I do so hate the paper plates, cups and " silverware" - but I have stayed in more expensive hotels that do the same. The complementary internet worked fine, despite some other reviewers comments , but I understood that it had recently been fixed. Rooms are large enough, comfortable beds, good bathroom - basic toiletries ( I do like the make-up remover sachet they have, so useful). The AC was not too noisy but not quite - however when I asked the technician how best to set it so that there is the least noise of it cutting in and out at night, he offered to replica it with a new AC and in less that an hour had done so - amazing service ! Overall, this was very good value - no frill so do not expect turn -down service with a chocolate on the bed , but the staff accommodate every need and make you feel special.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

John V, General Manager at Hampton Inn Washington, DC - Convention Center, responded to this review, July 7, 2014
Dear Guest:

Thank you so much choosing to stay at our Hotel and providing valuable feedback regarding your service experience. As you have indicated our Team of professionals are dedicated to providing you with great service. As a traveller from Europe, we appreciate your perspective on service experience and we will incorporate that into future business planning.

We hope that your future travel plans to DC will include our Hotel. Thank you for your loyalty to Hamptons and Hilton Brand of Hotels.

Sincreley,
Maryland, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

Our family stayed here four nights and really enjoyed the central location, especially to the Mall and Spy Museum. Unfortunately our first room had a cooling system leak which went unnoticed by the staff and caused a musty room odor. Staff quickly moved us to another room, adjacent to a suite, which was party central that evening. This became apparent when one of the suite's guests attempted to aggressively access my family's room that evening. The manager on-duty indicated there was no security staff to address the issue. After sharing our experience with senior hotel leadership, they indicated they do have security personnel on duty every night and will address these issues with their staff. Overall a good hotel in a great location with improving staff.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Dear Guest:

Thank you for taking time to write about your service experience at our Hotel. Your feedback will help us in continuing to improve our service delivery. Please accept our sincere regrets in having issues related to Air Conditioning; we have already evaluated and fixed this particular issue.

Our entire team would like to thank you for picking our Hotel over many others in the city for your stay. We hope to have you visit us again in the future.

Thank you for your loyalty to our Hampton and Hilton Branded Hotels.

Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014

Stayed here during fourth of July.

Good: Consistently high Hampton amenities, quality and cleanliness. Great location - 15 minute walk to National Mall, 7 minutes to the building museum. Decor of lobby and room excellent. Awesome breakfast! Fast housekeeping response. Very efficient front desk.

Bad: Had the smallest swimming pool I've ever seen at 15 ft by 15ft. but still had a swimming pool Swimming pool ran out of towels. Air conditioner fan was noisy and clunky. Both shower water pressure and satellite TV stalled constantly. TV picture stalled constantly for 20 seconds at a time. Few tables and chairs for breakfast. Had a room facing away from road and we still heard lots of police sirens and honking horns.

Room Tip: Choose room on side away from road. Heard lots of emergency responders and blaring horns.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
John V, General Manager at Hampton Inn Washington, DC - Convention Center, responded to this review, July 6, 2014
Dear Guest:

Thank you for staying with us and providing an on-line review of your stay experience. Our team of dedicated employees are well trained in providing personalized service. we are dissappointed that the Hotel pool was not up to our normal standards due to number of people using it as well as thunderstorms that affected TV signal for the Hotel.

We will work to improve on our services for future guests. Please return to our Hotel and experience a perfect stay next time you visit DC.

Sincerely
Austin, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014

We stayed here for three nights. The location is good- can walk to all museums and neighborhoods. Room was decent; A/C was very loud; The room did look a bit tired; Very crowded at breakfast. Overall, it served the purpose of a combined business and personal trip.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest:

Thank you for staying with us and providing feedback. We are dissappointed that your stay with us didn't exceed your expectations. We hope that you'll return and expereince a perfect stay that we are accustomed to providing our Guests.

Thank you for your loyalty to the Hilton Brand and to our Hotel.

Been to Hampton Inn Washington, DC - Convention Center? Share your experiences!