“Nice Hampton Property .. Plan on visiting again” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hampton Inn Washington, DC - Convention Center

Save Saved
You added Hampton Inn Washington, DC - Convention Center to your Saves list
Hampton Inn Washington, DC - Convention Center
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   901 6th Street NW, at Massachusetts Avenue Northwest, Washington DC, DC 20001 (Downtown / Chinatown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Earn 2x Points
Ranked #48 of 130 hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Montauk, New York
“Nice Hampton Property .. Plan on visiting again”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

I needed a hotel to stay overnight on a recent visit to DC. Some of the hotels in the area would not allow a single nights stay. Anyway, I decided to stay at this Hampton. Hampton Inn is usually my first choice when I travel. I rarely have gone wrong at a Hampton and this Hampton was no exception. Overall the hotel was well kept and clean. My room was nice and well appointed with a little fridge and microwave. Everything looked good and smelled clean. The Bathroom was tiled and had granite counters. Furniture was typical Hampton but in very good condition. Most importantly the bed was comfortable. I am assuming the hotel is relatively new or they just take good of the property. I missed the breakfast so I cannot comment on that. The staff was very friendly. I had to check out and the staff held my luggage with baggage checks while I went site seeing. I picked up my luggage in the evening without incident. The sites were a 15 minute walk. The hotel is located in a decent part of DC. I felt pretty safe the whole time I was there. The only complaint I have and this applies to all Hampton Inns I've stayed at, is there bragging that they launder fresh the duvet cover for each visitor. Of all the 15 Hamptons I've stayed in the last year not one had freshly laundered duvet covers for my visit. I have the nose of a blood hound and can tell from a mile away if something has been freshly laundered. The chain should not promote and brag about something they blatantly do not do. This Hampton is still a winner and I plan on staying again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Jim K, General Manager at Hampton Inn Washington, DC - Convention Center, responded to this review, November 3, 2012
Dear Vinross,

Thank you for the awesome review of the Hampton Inn Washington DC Downtown Convention Center. I am very happy to read that you enjoyed the cleanliness of the hotel, the rooms, and most of all the service that was provided to you by the staff. We look forward to seeing you again. Thank you for staying with Hampton.

852 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
South Milwaukee, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

I picked this hotel for its location. It's great-2 blocks from the metro, walking distance to the Mall and Union Station, and a block from Chinatown. Safe area to walk around in. The stay included free breakfast and a nice room-fridge, microwave, and desk. The lobby was under construction, which was a little inconvenient, but it looks like it will be beautiful when it is complete. The pool was actually closed when we were there, which was a bummer, but the front desk offered a free movie instead, which was nice. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Jim K, General Manager at Hampton Inn Washington, DC - Convention Center, responded to this review, September 28, 2012
Dear Tracey1017,

Thank you for the great review of the Hampton Inn Washington DC Downtown. I am glad to read you enjoyed the location and breakfast. I am sorry about the pool and lobby area, but we have corrected both areas. The lobby looks great. We hope if you are traveling to Washington again, you choose the Hampton Inn.
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

We booked this for Labor Day weekend to attend a conference at the nearby DC convention center. We received a beautiful and spacious suite facing Massachusetts. The room had a nice desk and sofa/tv area, microwave and small fridge. Bedroom was a separate room with double sinks and shower and bath. Extremely clean. Recognition of Diamond status by receiving 100 calorie Nabisco snacks and bottled water in room. Housekeeping did a good job. I had left a note for extra snacks and housekeeper obliged. Breakfast was a nice variety which was the typical scrambled eggs, pastries, breads, bagels and cereals. Coffee and tea in lobby all day along with chilled water.

The room had a "new" feel. Can't wait to see how the renovation project works out.

Highly recommend especially with family.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing Massachusetts.
Dear ChicagoLondon,

Thank you for the awesome review of the Hampton Inn Washington DC Downtown Convention Center. I am very happy to read that you enjoyed the room, cleanliness, and breakfast. We have almost completed the lobby and it looks great. Thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you again.
Scottsville, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

I am not complaining about the hotel but it would have been nice to know in advance that the pool was closed. That is the only reason we chose to stay at this particular Hampton Inn. We have two young boys who were very excited about being able to go swimming and the pool had been closed for a week and that was not posted on the website! The lobby and some other areas were under construction as well . The breakfast area was so small that we had to get our food and go back to the room to eat because there was nowhere to sit. The food was delicious and the rooms were very nice and clean but it would have been great to know all of this was going on at that time.

Dear Crystal W,

Thank you for your review of the Hampton Inn Washington DC. I am very sorry for the inconvenience of not having the pool available and the small breakfast area. We had to do last minute repairs to the pool area. We have corrected both the breakfast area and pool. The lobby looks beautiful. We hope that you will give us another chance in the future. Please feel free to contact me at 202-842-2500 and I will personally make your reservation. Thank you for staying with us.
Islip Terrace, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

My husband and I and our 2 children stayed 3 nights at this hotel from September 15 - September 18. I would definitely not recommend this hotel. There was major construction being done, which I did not know about prior to our visit. Due to this construction there was only a tiny area to eat breakfast in, definitely not large enough to accommodate all of the hotel guests.. When we finished unpacking after our arrival we went to check out the pool (the reason we picked this hotel in the first place). The pool was broken. The staff should have made us aware of this upon check-in. We would have switched hotels. They did however give us a better room rate because of the inconvenience after we questioned them. If you do stay here do not stay out after dark. The neighborhood is very undesirable and I did not feel safe having my children out at night. With a very small lobby and no pool there was absolutely nothing to do at night.

Dear Rita B,

Thank you for your review of the Hampton Inn Washington DC. Please accept my apologies for the construction and pool being closed. We are almost finished with our lobby refurbishment and our pool is open. We hope you will give us another chance in the future. Please contact me at 202-842-2500 and I will personally make your reservation. Thank you for staying at our Hampton Inn.
Buckinghamshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

We stayed at the Hampton Inn over a long weekend break September 13 to September 17 2012 and would recommend it. The hotel is well located for nearby restaurants. We visited Legal Seafoods, Jaleo (Spanish Tapas) and Oyamel (Mexican) and enjoyed them all. It is also close to the Chinatown / Gallery MetroRail station. We used the Metro on our first full day to reach Arlington National Cemetery. The National Mall is around 20-30 minutes on foot.

The staff were friendly and helpful and the rooms were clean and comfortable. We had no troubles with elevator access as reported in other reviews, but this may have been due to us avoiding peak times.

Our only problem was with the breakfast room which was too small for the the number of guests trying to obtain the free breakfast. This looked to be caused by remodelling work in the reception area, so should be rectified in time. Our solution was to walk one block north to Busboys and Poets (next to Safeway) where they served excellent breakfasts.

In fact some of the immediate area around the hotel was building work in progress. It appears that many older rundown buildings have been demolished to make way for offices and apartment blocks. However don't let this put you off. This is a good hotel close to many of the city's attractions and historic sites.

Room Tip: Choose a high floor for less traffic and building work noise.
Dear CathandPeteBucks,

Thank you for the great review of the Hampton Inn Washington DC. I am very happy to see that you and your family enjoyed the cleanliness, rooms, and most of all the staff. I apologize for the size of the breakfast room, but we have since then opened up the lobby. We have a brand new lobby that is very beautiful. Thank you for your kind comments and we hope to see you again.
dublin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

I visited DC for one week with my wife. We arrived 31st Aug 2012 and checked out 7th September 2012.

I called a few days before I arrived and spoke to "Erica"and asked about getting a room away from the pool on the 2nd floor and away from vending machines/ work areas for staff. Erica assured me in a polite professional manner that it would be looked after for us... and it was, we had a wonderfull room on the 1th floor

We booked through a well known hotel booking site. However, we did note that had we left it a week before we arrived at the hotel, we could have got a better deal on the hotel's website. I guess most people do not want to take this gamble and neither did we

We had read the reviews here in TA and were a little concerned about breakfast and elevator issues, so here is my overall impression ....

For visiting Washington DC, this hotel not just met our expetations but exceeded them.

Staff were extremely polite and helpfull especially at the front desk. It's not often I single out any one staff member but Jeffrey at the front desk is an example to front desk's the world over of how to do business. He is a credit to the hotel and a wonderfull friendly person. In saying the previous, I do not wish to detract from all the other folk working at the hotel, we genuinely felt they were all excellent

As for the property itself, The free WiFi was really good with a strong workable signal in our room (1120), The AC was perfect and worked a treat. The room itself was spacious and the addition of a fridge and Microwave was an added bounus, although we did not use the microwave.

The Queen beds were so cosy, it was hard to get out of them each morning. Flat screen TV worked well with plenty of channels. The bathroom had a wonderfull strong shower in it and of course doubled as a bath if one was so inclined. Another poster some time ago complained about the quality of the soaps, shampoo etc etc, but we found them above average for hotel supplied incidentals and they worked just fine for us (not sure if management changed them or not after previous posting)

Although we found the elevators ( 2 of them ) slow sometimes, it was not an issue that bothered us at all.

Now, to the reason I did not give the hotel a "Excellent rating". Although highlighted by other reviewers previously, we were expecting some difficulties with the breakfas arrangements. The Breakfast room had 5 long tables in it. At 4 of these tables 3 people could sit facing each other, but on one it was only possible for 3 peolpe to sit.

bearing in mind that this hotel has 12 or 13 floors, the provision of 5 breakfast tables is clearly not enough

The space in the breakfast room filled up very very quickly on the Sat, Sun and Monday morning at the start of our stay, this may have been because it was Labor Day weekend, but either way it was packed each morning with customers having to que to get in to the breakfast room. The Tea & Coffee machine was outside in teh lobby, making it very awkard to get coffee and a breakfast together. Management have suppied trays to take your breakfast back to your room if you prefer, but this did not appeal to us.

The breakfast fare itself was quite adequate and I must praise the coffee which was really excellent. The provision of coffee and warm cookies every afternoon was delightfull

There is some renovation going on at the hotel on the lobby level but this was daytime and did not cause us any concern at all

The nearest metro stop was at "Gallery Place / Chinatown", a 4 minute walk from the hotel. At night the area around the Station had an uneasy feel to it, but no more so than any other "uneasy feel" you might get in any other city in the US or Europe.

The Metro system is an excellent way of gettting around DC but be warned.. I have never encountered a subway system anywhere else in my travles with so many escalators not working., and when they are not working you can be almost guaranteed its the escalator going up that is broken not the one coming down, meaning you are constantly climbing up stairs and in summer this is not easy with the heat.

The Circulator bus has a stop almost outside the hotel on the route that goes from Union Station to Georgetown. It's a dollar a ride no matter how long or short your ride is. But beware, on a Saturrday night we asked a driver going to Georgetown wha time the service ended at that night and he told us 2AM, then when we went looking for a bus at 1130PM we were told it ended at 9PM

Over all, the Hampton In is a great choice for visiting DC and yes, I would have no hesitation in staying again or recommending it to anyone

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear flame01,

Thank you for the great review of the Hampton Inn Washington DC Downtown. I am very happy that Erika, Jeffrey and the rest of our staff provided great service to you and your family. They are both assets to this hotel. Please accept my apologies for the small breakfast area. We have opened up the lobby and our refurbishment is almost complete. Thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you again.

Been to Hampton Inn Washington, DC - Convention Center? Share your experiences!