“Reliable and Reasonable” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Levantes - CLOSED

Levantes
1320 19th ST. NW, Washington DC, DC 20036 (Connecticut Ave/ K Street)
202-293-6301
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Connecticut Ave/ K Street
Description: The word "Levante" is derived from "Levantine" which describes the eastern Mediterranean coastal region that today includes: Turkey, Greece and extends into Lebanon and Israel. The era of the Ottoman Empire and Alexander the Great, past rulers of the Levante region, is now history, but the culinary and cultural traditions live on.The tastes and flavors of that golden age come alive at Levante's. All dishes are made in the Levante tradition using only fresh ingredients. For centuries, these qualities have allowed people of the Mediterranean to eat well and live long healthy lives. Today at Levante's diners can enjoy the variety, freshness and the natural health benefits of this legendary cuisine. Levante's is the first restaurant group to offer eastern Mediterranean cuisine in a casual dining environment. Natural stone and light wood interiors envelope guests. Open kitchens and wood-fired ovens produce charcoal - grilled meats and vegetables, which are prepared in full view of diners.
Philadelphia
“Reliable and Reasonable”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

I have twice in the past couple of months brought a large group to this restaurant with no reservation on a Thursday evening. And both times, we were quickly seated and well-treated. While the food is not the most interesting versions of these Middle Eastern classics, it is well-prepared. Most of all, you can find something almost everyone will enjoy and the bill is quite reasonable.

Visited April 2013

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Excellent food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

Ate at Levantes and ordered the cold mezze plate as an appetizer and a mixed grill plate for dinner. Also had the baklava for desert. All the food with the exception of something on the cold platter was excellent. There was plenty of food and the baklava was super fresh. The place was not busy and the staff were very attentive. Overall, no issues and the food was excellent. Would recommend getting a groupon, as made the dinner more affordable.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Atlanta, Georgia
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

Several years back, I ate here several times and had a much better experience. I went for the Sunday brunch. And arrive about 8 minutes before they opened. I asked if I could be seated and wait inside. I was greeted with a gruff, sit at the bar. I did say I did not want to eat there but was ok with waiting there till officially open. It became apparent they were expecting me to eat at the bar, which does not work for me. I asked to sit a table, the waiter the same one that asked me to sit at the bar, did not seem happy but the bartender said ok. He was the most unpleasant, I think I have had in years. It was efficient but there was absolutely no indication that he was glad I was there and lots of an indication that he thought I was an inconvenience. And let me be clear, when I left the restaurant was half full, so it is not like I was taking up a table. When I would say Thank You, he did not utter a word. He said Thank you in his unfriendly manner one time, when he brought the check. The support staff were great. And the food was good. But his attitude made for an unpleasant experience. And let me be clear, wait staff like me. I am pleasant, I love to eat and truly appreciate service even decent service. I do like an attitude that they appreciate my business. I doubt I will ever go back, if so, it will be years.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Singapore, Singapore
“Enjoyable evening”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

Our party of four had a reservation and were seated by a very friendly staff. We thoroughly enjoyed the bread that we were served a second piece. The grill platter was enjoyable, but we did not enjoy the ground lamb. As mentioned by another reviewer, the lamb chops seem smaller than that served in another Greek restaurant we tried a few days earlier. The doner was good. Overall a positive experience

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
“Food is decent but not amazing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

The pita bread that they bring at the beginning of the meal is delicious! And the prices are reasonable compared to a lot of the other Dupont Circle restaurants. That said, I ordered the spinach pie and wasn't crazy about it. The phyllo dough had so much grease on it that it was mushy-- not really the flaky phyllo pastry that I thought it would have.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere