“We'll be back!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Al Crostino

Al Crostino
1926 9th Street, Washington DC, DC 20001 (U Street Corridor)
+1 202-797-0523
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Al Crostino is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,022 of 2,710 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: U Street Corridor
Description: Family-operated, Al Crostino is an intimate Italian restaurant located in Washington D.C. That exudes a 'la famiglia' atmosphere. This Neapolitan family offers a collection of flavorsome dishes, priding themselves on their homemade pasta, desserts, and their assortment of exquisite Italian wines.
DC
“We'll be back!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

It was the third stop of the night for two of us (a so-so dinner and drinks with friends at a nearby club). We didn't feel like ending the night and were looking for somewhere quieter to talk. With a texted recommendation in hand, we walked into Al Crostino. Cute place, lots of little tables, it was night-time so not as bright looking as the website pictures, could be really romantic. We sat at the bar and had hazelnut gelato, tiramisu, and cappuccino; all perfect. And then I tried my first grappa; it was serious! I think I lost a few taste buds on the first sip and at one point the roof of my mouth was totally numb.

Anyway, we got chatty with the owners (a mother and daughter team) and found out that while they don't make the sorbet or gelato in house (they found a great vendor), they DO make the tiramisu and pasta, Now this place is looking like a date night option. Both ladies were charming and gracious hosts; not rushing us and letting me finish my grappa without having to chug it even though it was after 10, the place was empty (except for us) and they were ready to close.

We're definitely going to try the the rest of the menu soon.

• Visited July 2012

Boston
“So happy we found this hidden gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2012

We were at Al Crostino on Saturday April 14th; we had a party of three and walked in off the street. We were greeted promptly and seated right away. It was still pretty early for the dinner crowed so the restaurant was not very busy. There was plenty of staff on hand to provide a top notch service experience. Out drink orders were taken right away and delivered very quickly. We split an order of Prosciutto e Melone as an appetizer and loved every bite on our plates. Between the three of us we ordered the Veal Scaloppini, Fileto de Manzo (beef tenderloin) and the Melenzane Parmigiano (eggplant) - all were cooked perfectly. We did try two desserts but for the life of me - I can't remember which ones. One was a daily special and one was off the regular menu. Both were fantastic and just the right amount to share. We were in D.C. for a weekend visit and were happy to find this hidden gem and would definitely go back when we are in D.C. next.

• Visited April 2012
DC
“Really good neighborhood Italian find”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2012

It doesn't get the buzz of some of the other places in the 14th and U corridors, but Al Crostino is a really good casual Italian find. Service is friendly, and the food has always been very good, and some times bordering on great. The kitchen doesn't always play it safe, but it succeeds far more often then not. Family-friendly, although probably not a great place to come with kids. It is small, so large groups should probably call ahead.

• Visited January 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Find another restaurant”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2012 via mobile

I went on Friday night at 7. We sat in the back hallway to avoid the door draft. Unfortunately, it was like an echo chamber and we heard ever word uttered by the guy behind us. After taking a sip if wine, we realized our wine glasses were linty; one on the inside. The waiter did fix it promptly but you would think he might at least top it off or take it off the bill. Worse yet, my salmon was raw and had to be sent back. I shared my spouse's ravioli (which was fine) until my plate was returned w no apology for the inconvenience. The bread was also stale. I am really surprised it is rated 3.5.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Charlottesville, Virginia
“Delicious food, good wine list, and friendly staff!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2012 via mobile

This place is a gem. You can get great Italian food, good wine, and the staff are always very friendly. It is a great local place where you can always get a great meal.