“Superb Crab cakes” 4 of 5 stars

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
CF Folks
1225 19th St. NW, Washington DC, DC 20036 (Dupont Circle)
202 293 0182
Neighborhood: Dupont Circle
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Superb Crab cakes”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2011 via mobile

This is a popular lunch spot with a daily menu. The food was very good - I enjoyed the crab cake sandwich and tartare sauce very much. There were a number of appetizing things on the menu.

Stephens City, Virginia
“Great crab cakes and friendly atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2011

Last week at work, a colleague asked if I had ever eaten lunch at C. F. Folks. "Where?" was my reply, considering I had never heard of the place. To my surprise, the small lunch-only cafe is located three blocks south of Dupont Circle (my neighborhood), across the street from two restaurants I frequent on occasion. I told him I would try C. F. Folks this week. I'm glad I did.

The restaurant will not win any awards for decor or ambiance, but I don't care about those things when all I want is a quick lunch and good food. On the other hand, the decor reminded me of hole-in-the-wall diners back home in eastern North Carolina; those places usually have some of the best food.

My friend and I ordered the crab cake sandwiches, which came with a side of cole slaw. He wanted to order one of the daily specials, but it was 2:00, and the restaurant had run out of two items on the specials menu. No worries. To me it's a sign those items must have been good.

The food arrived promptly and the crab cakes were delicious. The total for our two sandwiches and two sodas was around $33. The rest of the menu is cheaper, mind you, so I'll probably try the pastrami (around $8) next time.

Lastly, our server was extremely friendly as were the other employees. Their friendliness rubs off on customers because everyone seemed to chat with each other while enjoying lunch. I like that kind of atmosphere.

• Visited December 2011
Falls Church, Virginia
“Art Alone Is Worth The Price Of Admission”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2011

The food here is always terrific. I am sorry that I rarely get to go any more because my office moved cross town. The menu varies each day, with a number of specials. You can pretty much count on everything to be good. But to me, the real attraction is Art, the proprietor. He is a real character. Some may not like him, see the bad review below, but most of us enjoy his opinionated ways. I really miss the times when I would go almost every work day.

• Visited May 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Washington, DC
“Best lunch place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2011

Terrific specials make me a regular. George's schnitzel is superb, as are the soups & I've never had a bad meal. Art & Hunter, behind the counter,are old school pros who make the experience all the better. Discount the dated, negative reviews and try it. You'll surely be back for more.

• Visited March 2011
Charleston, SC
“Rud, Rude Rude!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2008

Today, on our first day in DC, my wife and I tried this place on a recommendation. As soon as we were seated and looking at the menu, we were absolutely astounded to hear the "chef" loudly chewing out a new server. He was shouting loud enough for everyone in the place to hear. The poor lady was humiliated. He continued his rant for at least another 5 minutes within clear earshot of all of the customers. He was extremely rude and verbally abusive! Finally we had enough of his loud mouth and decided to leave. We waited to speak to the owner, to let him know why we were choosing to take our business elsewhere, and his reply was "okay" as he turned his back and walked away. Another "friendly customer service host" behind the counter simply said, "there's the door!".

Don't waste your time on this little dump! The chef is obviously an obnoxious loser and needs some lessons on how to treat people. What a jerk! There are too many great restaurants in the Georgetown/Foggy Bottom area to waste your time here.