“A trip to the past” 4 of 5 stars
Review of National Museum of the American Indian

National Museum of the American Indian
National Mall, 4th St. and Independence Ave., S.W., Washington DC, DC 20013 (National Mall)
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #89 of 234 Attractions in Washington DC
Type: History Museums, Specialty Museums, Museums
Activities: Group tours/walking tour
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The National Museum of the American Indian houses artifacts, art, historical and cultural objects from Native Indian communities in the Hemisphere.
Darwin, Australia
5 attraction reviews
“A trip to the past”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

My inherent interest in Indigenous people, their language, culture and history made me visit NMAI this December. From the first step into the museum, I was very impressed by the way it was presented and what it presented. The video presentation and the theatre itself was extremely impressive and so were some of the artefacts. The thematic separations meant that I could spend more or less time on a particular theme and it also provided the opportunity to contemplate on what I saw and experienced. Watching or reading Jarred Diamond's Guns, Germs and Steel would enable one to look at the artefacts here from an entirely new perspective.
I thoroughly enjoyed the couple of hour I spent here but must add that for someone with a reasonable interest like me, it could take days or many visits to soak up things presented here.

Visited December 2012

Sterling, Virginia
7 attraction reviews
“Beautiful museum with something for everyone”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013 via mobile

I didn't love this museum on my first few visits, I was hoping for a more overarching sense of the history of the Native American people. This museum is more experiential, with collections from many different tribes. I will say, the more I visit, the more I enjoy it. The building is lovely and it's wonderful to experience the different landscape and design components. They often have special performances, we recently saw traditional Hawaiian music and dance during a cold winter afternoon. But, the highlights for us included the imagiNations Activity Center with special hands-on exhibits for children and the constellation space, with the storyteller exhibit. Even though the exhibit uses TVs, I appreciate that it enthralled my kindergartener, who's even recounted a couple of the most memorable tales. Well worth the visit.

438 attraction reviews
“Glad I Finally Went...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

I missed out on going to this museum with my family and some friends right after it opened. So when I returned to the area and had a friend visiting, I decided it was an opportune time to visit. It was a delightful visit and gave me a great insight into the Native American people. The museum itself was spacious and bright. With well done displays and a lot of information. One draw back is that with some many different tribe, only a handful can be showcased at any given time. Still they pull it off. Another great thing about this museum is their food court. They offer a wide selection of Native American inspired dishes and everyone should be able to find something they will like. Though be warned that like most Smithsonian food courts, the prices are a little steep, but to be in the Air Conditioning away from the sun is well worth a little extra money....

Visited June 2012
Washington Dc, District Of Columbia
3 attraction reviews
“New and beautiful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

A bit complicated but well worth the exploration. Wonderful architecture and the best museum resturant in DC. A new and quickly growing addition to the must see museums in Washington.

Visited December 2012
12 attraction reviews
“The source of my Cherokee heritage!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013 via mobile

When I was a pre-teen, I convinced my mom to take me there. I loved the exhibits and the gift shop. I loved the room that had all of the stars on the ceiling! It was an awesome sight! I loved the gift shop because of the cool stuff. I never thought that they had music CDs and stuff!! :)