“Great atmosphere and location, poor food, small servings, average service” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Zaytinya

Zaytinya
701 9th St NW, Edison Place, Washington DC, DC 20001-4572 (Downtown / Chinatown)
+1 202-638-0800
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Zaytinya is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 2,700 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: Greek, Lebanese, Mediterranean
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups, Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown / Chinatown
Cross street: G St.
Transit: Gallery Place/Chinatown station. 9 th & G St exit on the red, green and yellow lines.
Description: Zaytinya offers an innovative mezze menu inspired by Turkish, Greek and Lebanese cuisines, under the direction of renowned chef José Andrés, served up in a sleek and modern setting. Shared small plates, creative cocktails and unique Mediterranean wines make this spot one of DC’s top dining destinations.
Herndon, Virginia
“Great atmosphere and location, poor food, small servings, average service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

I am crazy for Mediterranean food and I find them wherever I go. I heard about Zaytinya in DC and as much as how much I hate to drive to DC, my family decided to spend a day there to eat out at Zaytinya....
I think they have a great location which is visible and very urban ... good for dates where food is the last thing on mind. There was a 45 minute waiting time inside so we decided to sit outside ... being such a beautiful day outside. The menu showed somewhat different Mediterranean names and pardon my greek, half of the stuff was not something that mediterranean folks would want to be identified with. I think, as much as this shop is trying to sell healthy mediterranean food, they are selling something that might have remote root in that region. The menu had 4 pages and 3 pages were dishes that were about $10 worth. The last page had some 3-4 specials that were termed as "family combo platters" in the range of $40. We thought if the combo is for a family, it should be good for a couple of folks. The waiter was very nice and politely told us that the family combo really is good for one person but you can always share it. We asked him if the rest of kabobs and other stuff is good for less than one person he said it is good for one person but you can share. We ordered about 6 dishes from the main menu, hoping to have enough for both of us and two kids. The food came out to be the most microscopic serving I have seen in a long time. Sure we could share everything but it was barely enough to take half bite each. The snails were horrible and probably not mediterranean at all. Everything else was tasteless, except baba ganouge was edible but the quantity was so little that could only sufficient for one person. At the end my kids declared that they are hungry and needed real food in human quantity. The food served was in more of what I would serve to my birds. Here is my disclaimer, I or my wife are not big eaters both weighing under 140 Lbs and my kids are less than average eaters. The final decree is that if you are going there for a reason other than a meal/food, you'll love it but if food is your main concern go any other mediterranean restaurant but this. The quantity is the main problem but the quality is not good either. If you are very desperate, just buy the packaged mediterranean food from Costco or Trader Joe's for under $10. You'd be writing a review like this one after spending over $60 on bird servings.

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Fort Myers, FL
“Excellent variety and flavors!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

My chef husband selected celebrity chef Jose Andres' restaurant for dinner while we were in DC. Great pick! The food was amazing, with fresh ingredients and amazing flavor combinations. Our favorite dish was the "Seared Halloumi Cheese" with fruits, dates, nuts, mint... mmm! Of course we loved the puffy, fresh-from-the-oven pita bread.

Great service, really reasonable prices, and an adventure in dining. I would love to eat at zatynia again!

Visited May 2013
Langhorne, Pennsylvania
“Wow!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

Our family stumbled across Zatynia by accident for dinner on a Saturday night and were so glad we did. We were seated immediately and were constantly given attention by the waitstaff from fresh water to pita bread. Our server, Amy, was amazing. She recommended a family style platter or lamb, chicken, lamb meatballs, and beef and lamb meatballs with a variety of side dishes. If you or your kids don't like brussel sprouts, cauliflower, or couscous you need to try them here. Yum! We also tried the Greek olives dressed with fresh herbs and homemade hummos. My husband had a beer while I tried the 3 PM in Istanbul cocktail. A beautiful pink confection arrived in a vintage champagne glass and made me feel like I was stepping back in time to a more sophisticated era. It was that good. We decided to splurge and got the mezze portion of all the desserts (four) in all that resulted in a bite or two of each. They were all fantastic, but the rose ice cream was amazing. The adults thought the restaurant was fabulous but for two kids to absolutely clean their plates was proof enough for us to come back. Can't wait to return!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“Interesting Mediterranean restaurant at the heart of DC”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013 via mobile

Nice decor.
Food was good and waiter was helpful I explaining the menu. There were no entree options , so people tended to order one veg dish and one protein/meaty dish.
I wouldn't order the mushroom dish though, as the portion is quite small and quality was average. Lamb shrank was delicious.
Not too pricey if you don't drink alcohol.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Bethesda, Maryland
“Taste Treat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

Every dish we were served was a taste treat. The little plates offer you an opportunity to sample many foods. Our server, Rebecca was great. She made terrific suggestions and she made sure that everything was to our liking. We also enjoyed the fact that the dishes came out as they were ready. So everything was served fresh and hot and not all at once. The only down side is that it is very noisy and hard to have a conversation. However, I will return again and again.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere