“It is good!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Zaytinya

Zaytinya
701 9th St NW, Edison Place, Washington DC, DC 20001-4572 (Downtown / Chinatown)
+1 202-638-0800
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Zaytinya is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 2,700 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: Greek, Lebanese, Mediterranean
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups, Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown / Chinatown
Cross street: G St.
Transit: Gallery Place/Chinatown station. 9 th & G St exit on the red, green and yellow lines.
Description: Zaytinya offers an innovative mezze menu inspired by Turkish, Greek and Lebanese cuisines, under the direction of renowned chef José Andrés, served up in a sleek and modern setting. Shared small plates, creative cocktails and unique Mediterranean wines make this spot one of DC’s top dining destinations.
venice, ca
“It is good!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

Walked in no reservation said an hour wait. Wife and myself went to the bar got two seats and ate there, fantastic bartender very knowledgeable about the menu and great suggestions. Food is really that good cannot go wrong.

Visited May 2013

Statesboro, Georgia
“Must get whole branzino”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

Small plates with a great variety. Some of the better choices included the red pepper spread (Htipiti), Tabouleh, Ufra Biftek, and Asparagus Salata. The Knisa Lamb Chops were good but 2 small chops for $20 is a bit much. The star of the meal was the whole branzino special. Service was top rate with constant delivery of the wonderful bread and topping of water glasses.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Los Angeles Metro
“Underwhelming”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

Disclaimer: I come from an area where Middle Eastern/Eastern Mediterranean food is authentic and in abundance. We ordered 4 plates per person (including dessert). Rather excessive. I had the beet salad, the salad with "petals," the ground lamb kebab, the sea bass, the Turkish Delight, and a cocktail. The cocktail I had was rather unmemorable. My favorite was the beet salad and my least favorite was the sea bass (bland). The dessert was attractive and enjoyable but the honey gelees were weird. The most disappointing plates were the lamb and "petals" salad. I've had so many lamb kebabs better than this. And both the lamb and the sea bass were lukewarm. And the "petals"...what petals? When I read "petals," I want flower petals in my salad, not just leaves of herbs. (I was able to get flower petals in my salad when I shopped at a super market in London!) Although the food was tasty and the atmosphere stylish, my friend had an uneasy digestive system for 2 days after dining here. (She blamed it on undercooked ground lamb, but I ate it too and was fine.) Notes: The restaurant is right across the street from one of the Gallery Place-Chinatown metro exits. Just exit opposing the crowds going towards Verizon Center. If you have a later reservation and need a place nearby to pass the time,The Museum of American Art and National Portrait Gallery is open until 7PM.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
New York City, New York
“Good but not great”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

A wide variety of well prepared mezze ( appetizers) served in a noisy, crowded, space by servers with an attitude. That about sums up my experience. This is by no means great food. It is good by DC standard but when you compare this mezze with what is served in Aleppo, Beirut, Cairo , Dubai or even NYC it falls short. Mezze is generally served when all the dishes are served at one time and not the way it trickles painfully at Zaitinya. Is it inexpensive ? Yes, but considering that most of this food is not made to order, and the ingredients are rather inexpensive, it may be a bit even over-priced. So lower your expectations, be prepared for long wait times and poor service. But food is OK.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
MidWest
“Greek Tapas! Bar and Patio open for walk ins”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013 via mobile

We couldnt get a reservation because they were booked over a week in advance, but we walked in at 5 and were seated right away. This was the worst service I've ever had in that our waiter was too busy flirting with bar customers and the food was coming out of the kitchen too fast - with tapas, I normally like the experience of things coming out slowly one by one.

The food itself was good, nothing blew us away. We had the eggplant hummus (pretty good), sausage pizza (great but slightly salty), chicken orzo. (delicious), scallops (fresh but not that much flavor and only 2- would skip next time) and the lamb meatballs (good but I've had better).

The atmosphere was okay. It's very light inside.

I would probably go back. I enjoyed Jaleo just as much - the food was better paced there and just as good, but I liked that this was Greek tapas as opposed to more common tapas.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere