“Holy Guacamole! :)” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Rosa Mexicano - Penn Quarter

Rosa Mexicano - Penn Quarter
575 7th Street, Washington DC, DC 20004 (Downtown / Chinatown)
+1 202-783-5522
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Rosa Mexicano - Penn Quarter is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #239 of 2,710 Restaurants in Washington DC
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown / Chinatown
Cross street: F Street NW
Transit: Gallery Place - Chinatown
Description: Just west of our nation's Capitol, Rosa Mexicano Penn Quarter location is situated in the exceptionally restored 1924 Hecht’s building across from the Verizon Center. As the first Rosa Mexicano to open outside of New York City in December 2003, this D.C. location remains true to its roots by delivering authentic Mexican cuisine in a stylish, festive atmosphere. The interior features eye-catching details that include 14-foot wraparound windows, a spacious bar and lounge area, and a tequila bar offering a wide range of premium selections and margaritas. Traditional folk crafts have also been incorporated throughout the restaurant, most notably in a dramatic series of illuminated pilasters featuring festive Mexican masks mounted on the wall.It’s a feast for the eyes as well as the tastebuds.
Edmond, Oklahoma
“Holy Guacamole! :)”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

I wasn't sure about eating Tex-Mex in DC because I am from Oklahoma where we have a TON of great Mexican food, but I was very pleasantly surprised. I only ordered the Guacamole because that is what I like to try at a new Mexican place and I thought it was so, so good. The restraunt was busy and had a nice atmosphere too. Very convient location to the Chinatown Metro stop also.

Orlando, Florida
“Good Mexican Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

I liked this restaurant because of the vibe and decor of the restaurant. I had the skillet chicken and my husband had the enchiladas. We both liked our food. We also had the guacamole-it was expensive for what you get! I think you pay more for the experience of having it made table side and not necessarily for the ingredients in the guacamole. The guacamole was good, but the chips it came with were bland.

This restaurant does have a gluten free menu, so be sure to ask for it if you have food allergies!

Visited March 2013
Winston Salem, North Carolina
“Great guacamole, but flavorless food.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

The tableside guacamole was great, but quite expensive. The food was ready very quickly after ordering, so it wasn't great for conversing, but great if you're hungry. The food didn't seem to have much flavor to me, which was a disappointment. Two of the other people I ate with seemed to enjoy their food (fish tacos), but one other agreed that theirs was flavorless as well. It seems like a hit or miss kind of restaurant concerning their food.
I loved the atmosphere and the place seemed pretty busy, so maybe they were just having an off night.
I would recommend it for a quick bite to eat (though a bit expensive), but it's not somewhere I am dying to return to.

Chicago, Illinois
“Tasted great! So-so service and quality.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

Yum! We enjoyed our meal immensely but....OK the good first. The fresh Guac that they make at the table is really good. I am not a guac fan and balked at the $14 charge ($28 for four pple!), but seemed like it was a must if we wanted chips and salsa. It was good. As I said, don't really even like guac and it was good. Skimped on the salsa a bit, but it was good too. We each had chicken enchiladas. We ordered and our food came in three minutes. Maybe even two. This would be great if we were going to an event, but we weren't so it felt rushed. And something felt suspect that it was so fast. It tasted fine and was delicious, hot, fresh, etc., but not sure how it came out so fast. The cream sauce was great and a bit spicey, which I loved but my friend not as much. Service felt very rushed and not so friendly. The guac maker was joyless and no fun. Several different people serving, clearing, etc., so not very efficient. Never got my pop I ordered. Only saw waiter when ordering. Dessert menu was uninspiring-we were willing to indulge but everything seemed "meh." Then, about 45 minutes after dinner, we each, um...had to use the bathroom. Rather emergently. I have a solid stomach so it's not like I can't tolerate Mexican food. The only time my GI tract works like that is when the food is poor quality or underprepared. There was nothing suspect about the food at the time, but my body's reaction makes me think there is a quality issue. But I would go back, haha. It was good! Our bill was $66 for guac, one beer at $8 and the enchiladas pollos. I suggest reservations as they were busy. The speedy service is great if you are in a hurry, but if not you may feel rushed.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Atlanta, Georgia
“Great food, unique Mexican”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013 via mobile

We had awesome guacamole custom made at our table to start. Great entrees and refried black beans. A few hidden spicy points along the way but all with great flavor to make the heat not only tolerable but pleasurable. Rated atmosphere down slightly as it's so noisy. Made conversation difficult but not fully impossible.

• 5 of 5 stars Food