“Best Veal Chop Ever” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ristorante La Perla

Ristorante La Perla
2600 Pennsylvania Avenue, Ste 101, Washington DC, DC 20037 (Foggy Bottom - GWU - West End)
202.333.1767
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Ristorante La Perla is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #123 of 2,709 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: Italian, Seafood, Pasta
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Foggy Bottom - GWU - West End
Cross street: 26th & Pennsylvania Ave., NW
Transit: We are located within a walking distance from the Foggy-Bottom Metro Station which is serviced by the Blue and Orange Lines.
Description: The restaurant of choice of many distinguished diners and restaurant critics, Ristorante La Perla of Washington, located near Georgetown at the tail-end of the historic Pennsylvania Avenue, takes its diners on a culinary journey through Italy with elegant decor surpassed only by authentic mouth-watering Italian masterpieces. During Lunch and Dinner hours, pastas and flavorful sauces simmer while prime meats, poultry, seafood and vegetables roast to treat diners to a little bit of heaven, with a long lasting memory for your taste buds, thanks to the vision of famous chef Vittorio Testa, who has kept alive the Italian culinary tradition for over three decades. Chef-Owner Vittorio Testa will make you feel like you're dining in his house. The waiters exceed expectations, and the space is garnished with painted tiles and Venetian glass to make every dining occasion a memorable one. There's also Private dining and Outdoor seating when the weather permits.
PA
“Best Veal Chop Ever”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2010

Nice little Italian restaurant I loved there veal chop. The owner makes you feel right at home. I would highly recommend the underated gem of a restaurant.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Wonderful Italian!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2009

I had almost given up on finding a truly good Italian restaurant in DC. There are several that are "fair" to "good," but I just hadn't found one that made me really want to come back. Well, that search is over. Ristorante La Perla is now my official great Italian meal place in DC. The gnocchi in a truffle and mushroom cream sauce and the pork loin served with a plum sauce and a side of penne carbonara both left us talking about the food for the rest of the evening. The wine list is fairly extensive, and has selections for every budget and taste, within reason. Mr. Testa, the owner/chef, is a very personable gentleman, and takes the time to visit every table and welcome each of his guests, as if they are the most special person he has visiting that evening.

The decor is a bit dated, but for me, that only enhances the charm of the place. In trying to find good Italian in DC, I've eaten at plenty of new, trendy and beautiful restaurants, but never any that even approach the quality of La Perla's food, service and warm ambiance. Service is attentive, friendly and professional, but not fussy. In all, just a great experience.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Falls Church, VA
“A bit of Italy in D.C.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2009

My husband and I splurged on dinner at La Perla last night and were not disappointed. I chose it with some trepidation, based on some negative reviews, but our dinner was everything we could have wanted. We are great aficinados of Italian food, both eating it and my cooking it, so we are not easily won over.
The atmosphere at La Perla is wonderful. Thank heaven, no loud music, no neighboring diner sitting almost in your lap. It's quiet, lovely and romantic. Our waiter, from Peru, was very attentive and professional.
The food was excellent. We both started with soup; he had pasta fagioli and I had lentil. Both good, and way too much to eat if you planned to eat a main course, which we did. So we both took half home for lunch today. I had a veal chop for my secondi and he had a beef dish; ample portions (again I took half home) and delicious. But the best part was that each chef's special, which these were, is accompanied by a pasta. Mine was carbonara and it was absolutely the best I've ever had. Not gooey and overly cheesy, just perfect.
Yes, it's not cheap, but it's also not by any means the most expensive restaurant in D.C. We'll definitely be back.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Ocala, Florida
“Older Chef Owner Still Great”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2009

Great food, maybe greater prices, but still a worthwhile experience.

Caesar Salad wonderful with perfect romaine hearts, anchovies, and croutons.

Filet Mignon was over-priced, with no sauce available on the menu. We asked for bernaise or mushroom or something. Kind waiter said he would ask the chef (owner) who was enjoying himself next to us, greeting other diners. This was a Monday night with a light crowd, so you have to know that this chef-owner has loved his business for a long time, and wants to perform his exceptional creations for the duration, health permitting.

Steak was superb, tender, and cooked to perfection. Chef created fresh mushroom sauce of a kind we never had before. For sure it had some quality liquor, maybe B&B, in it; and there was no extra charge on the slightly inflated price of the filet ($40 for 11 oz...)

We also had the veal parm. Very thinly sliced, large portion, lots of cheese, tasty, but just *** out of 4.

Go eat there now before it's too late.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Arlington VA
“A true italian experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2008

reminded me of places in Italy. The food was amazing. Not something we usually found in restaurants, authenticity.

we came in and were immediately greeted by an impeccably dressed host. While eating, the chef visited our table to make sure everything was alright. We complemented him on the food, and were carried off to a conversation.

It was an exclusive dinning experience with a little Italian restaurant atmosphere.

My wife and I agreed that it was the best place in town. And we don't usually agree so easily.