“Good food, ok atmosphere” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Medaterra

Medaterra
2614 Connecticut Ave NW, Washington DC, DC 20008-1521 (Upper Northwest)
202-797-0400
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Medaterra is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #510 of 2,562 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Egyptian
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Upper Northwest
Cross street: 24th St. NW
Transit: Woodley Park-zoo Metro Station (Red)
“Good food, ok atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013 via mobile

Great little restaurant near Woodley Park Metro. The prices were reasonable and service was good. Hummus was excellent as was the shrimp salad I had. Not a fancy place, but still great little place for lunch, snack or dinner!

• 5 of 5 stars Food

Calgary
“Terrific seafood”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

Ate out on the patio for supper. Really good food and service. We went with a large group one night and they were great with us. Really good margaritas.

Visited June 2012
Florida
“Tasty food but could be a little better”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

I walked to Medaterra from the National Zoo and specifically chose this restaurant because I wanted to try some unique ethnic food in the city. I came in at around 1:30 pm and the restaurant was empty except for the waitress. I ordered the Egyptian Bean Salad and the Lamb with Goat Cheese salad.
The bean salad looked kind of bland and boring at first, but after my first bite I was hooked. The beans were marinated in some sort of oil that was very tangy and tasty. The beans sat on a leaf of spinach (I think) and the whole dish itself was filling. It came with a basket of pita bread as well which was good for dipping in my dishes. My lamb and goat cheese salad was very tasty and full of flavor too. However, I did think it was a bit hard to cut the lamb (I love lamb when it falls off the bone), and even though it was called Lamb AND goat cheese salad, there was just one dollop of goat cheese on top of the salad. I think it would have been much tastier if the goat cheese was spread throughout the salad and in more quantity. The salad came with a tasty vinaigrette as well as yogurt too.
What I did find odd was that my entrée came out mere seconds after I received my appetizer of the bean salad. I didn’t mind much but I could see that this might bother someone else.
I enjoyed my meal here, but I don’t think I would come back for a second time. I was looking for very ethnic, tasty food and although the bean salad was tasty, I think the lamb could have been cooked a little better in my lamb and goat cheese salad.

• Visited December 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Richmond, Virginia
“Good value, minus the happy hour”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

I've found it interesting that multiple reviews mentioned that they ate here on the way to the zoo - so did I! I'm not very familiar with the area, but is there no where else to eat around there? Anyway, we were sucked in by the happy hour sign advertising $3 chicken tenders, $1 margaritas, and $5 martinis. We were just looking for drinks and appetizers, so it seemed like a good option, especially since we were all on budgets.

You get what you pay for. The cheap drinks? You'll end up spending more than you normally would because you'll need three drinks for the effect of one. Chicken tenders? Eh. Not bad, it was just strange that a Mediterranean restaurant even offered them. The music seemed to be more Indian influenced, so the whole ambiance was just a little strange.

One of the members of my party ordered the calamari, and she reported they were pretty darn good. I ordered the Zattar toast, which was came out exactly as described on the menu, "Jordanian green thyme & sesame over toasted pita topped tomatos and basil." The pita was toasted to a thin crisp, and was really kind of like a super thin pizza, without the cheese. Pretty good, and nice snack before trekking around the zoo.

The service was friendly, and relatively quick, although for a Saturday evening, the place was pretty empty. They had some interesting things on the menu, so even though it wasn't the best, I would probably give it another try, but staying away from their mixed drinks.

• Visited December 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Memphis, Tennessee
“Good dinner”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

Friendly staff and good food. Very convenient to the Omni Shoreham for a nice meal. They accommodated our large group, which we really appreciated.

Visited June 2012