“Love this casual place” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Matchbox Pizza

Matchbox Pizza
713 H Street, NW, Washington DC, DC 20001 (Downtown / Chinatown)
202-289-4441
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Matchbox Pizza is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #64 of 2,498 Restaurants in Washington DC
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: American, Pizza, Pizza & Pasta
Good for: Bar scene, Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Dessert, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown / Chinatown
Cross street: 7th and H Street
Transit: Gallery Pl-Chinatown (Red, Green, Yellow);Metro Center (Red, Blue, Orange
bethesda, md
“Love this casual place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

I've been to all the outposts of this DC mini chain. Service and food are consistent across their restaurants and the food (pizzas, burgers, salads, sandwiches are all terrific. You simply can't go wrong. The wait staff are friendly and service is great. I'd recommend getting a reservation, wait times can be long - but know that it is worth the wait.

• Visited December 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“A Winner In My Book”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

I am a pizza lover and I will easily add this spot to my list of favorite places to eat.

I visit the Chinatown location frequently. The server who takes my name at the door is always cordial and professional. It seems that I am always seated in less than 15 minutes.

During my most recent visit, I ordered a pizza with many meat toppings and mushrooms on it (the Matchbox Meat). The pizza, which was cooked well like I had asked them to do so, was great. The number one thing that I loved about my pizza was the fact that it was very crisp. The taste was EXCELLENT. Matchbox has the best brick oven pizza in the land.

The restaurant itself has a nice layout to it. It has three levels to it. You will take notice of the bar and its great layout. Be forewarned, this spot can get packed during lunchtime, no
matter the day. However, like I stated earlier, I seem to get seated within 15 minutes.

It is conveniently location near a metro station in the heart of Chinatown. For those who drive, parking may look to be an issue. However, I always catch someone leaving a space within at least two blocks of the restaurant. And there are a ton of parking garages nearby.

In all categories, this Matchbox is a winner in my book.

• Visited March 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Washington DC
“Interesting venue”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

I've enjoyed everything I have had here and I definitely like the atmosphere. It is a must stop place for friends who visit from Chicago.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Washington, DC
“Nice menu and atmosphere”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

I went to this restaurant for brunch, glad we had reservations because it was crowded. It's a busy place, the staff is friendly and the prices are reasonable. I had the veggie frittata, it was lukewarm but edible. I would probably eat there again but it's not at the top of my list.

• Visited March 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Very good pizzas and sliders”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

My family and I have been here many times for birthday dinners. Delicious brick oven pizzas, tasty sliders and onion straws.

• Visited February 2014