“ok restaurant is only so much waiting for your table is unnecessary” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Matchbox Pizza

Matchbox Pizza
713 H Street, NW, Washington DC, DC 20001 (Downtown / Chinatown)
202-289-4441
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Matchbox Pizza is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #47 of 2,700 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: American, Pizza, Pizza & Pasta
Good for: Families with children, Bar scene, Local cuisine
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown / Chinatown
Cross street: 7th and H Street
Transit: Gallery Pl-Chinatown (Red, Green, Yellow);Metro Center (Red, Blue, Orange
“ok restaurant is only so much waiting for your table is unnecessary”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

Strange restaurant, the menu is simple, lame is that the tables are too close to each other and have no privacy, the restaurant itself is like a maze there is a room where all the tables, it's like a maze, as if you were sitting in the small corridors on the menu drinks .. which was burnt, and the small hamburgers that are fatty,
When we arrived and had a reservation, they gave us a pager and we waited 45 minutes for a table where we could hardly sit...

• Visited August 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Millersburg, Ohio
“Great Pizza!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

We recently visited DC and met up with our nephew who lives there and recommended the Matchbox for pizza. We got to the restaurant at 7:30 on a Friday evening and it was packed. We were told there was an approximate 30 minute wait which was OK. We stood outside to wait and enjoy and busy street activity in Chinatown. In about 15 minutes our table for 3 was ready. They have an extensive menu offering steaks, seafood, chicken, pork and a variety of pizza baked in a wood-burning brick oven. The aroma in and outside of the restaurant was delicious! On the suggestion of our nephew, we ordered a large pizza, one-half their "spicy meatball", and the other, the "sausage and onion". They only have one thickness of crust, which, to our liking, was a thin and slightly crispy crust and very flavorful. This pizza was excellent!!! We also ordered onion straws which were very good -- deep fried, but not soaking in grease. We each had a couple of beers too. This restaurant was located in Chinatown, but there are others in the DC area and are extremely popular. And I might add that the service and price was perfect. If you want something outside of the ordinary "chain pizza restaurant", this is a great place to try.

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“yummy brunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

Great value (spent 21 with tax and tip) for a crabcake eggs benedict. Server was great, prompt, and understanding when our friend was late. Highly recommended.

Visited September 2013
Dallas, Texas
“Ok pizza, good service, too expensive”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

Matchbox was the best place we ate the entire time in DC.(thats not saying much!) The service was great but the pizza was just a bit above average. We ordered a meat pizza with sausage, pepperoni and bacon. It hardly had any bacon it and the pepperoni was very greasy. The crust was ok, nothing special. Half of the crust was burnt so you really couldn't taste it...I know they state it on their menu that due to how they are cooked this would happen but it sure seemed over cooked to us. We felt the pizza was no way worth $22 for the large. The beer selection was great..had a nice delirium with the pizza. The water tasted awful...beware! Order bottled water!
This place was super close to our hotel and highly rated so we were hoping for the best pizza we have ever had.....not the case at all. We have such better pizza places in SL!

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Always a Winner”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

Experiencing the Matchbox on multiple occasions, I usually opt for the cream of crab soup and making my own pizza because they both are pretty tasty!! This time though, I wanted a new (to me) dish.

My friends and I ordered three appetizers to share, fried green tomatoes, Matchbox chopped salad and the mozzi carrozzi. The fried green tomatoes were fried in cornmeal and were accompanied with a corn relish and country ham. It was alright, a little too much breading or possibly too thin a slice of tomato. The star of that dish was definitely the corn relish! The matchbox salad was good! It had bacon, some type of small circular pasta and was not over dressed. The mozzi carozzi was a definite pleaser! I have had this ooey gooey fried masterpiece before and I enjoy it every time! It consist of Italian bread with mozzarella cheese, tomato slices and basil stuffed in the center, then deep fried and served over a somewhat spicy tomato sauce. It is excellent and could be your meal if you don't have anyone to share it with!

My entree size shrimp and grits was to die for!!!! Definitely the best shrimp and grits I have EVER had!! I added seared scallops to my meal and it was a great decision on my part! The grits had tillamook cheddar mixed in and surrounding them was a chorizo butter sauce that contained chorizo, of course, and diced tomatoes. That chorizo butter sauce really elevated the grits to a completely different level! The shrimp and scallops were cooked to perfection! I even took some leftovers home for my sister chef (who doesn't like many things) to taste and she now wants to go to get her own! I am so glad I ventured beyond pizza this time!

Definitely worth a visit!

• Visited September 2013