“Good food, great service” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Ella's Wood-Fired Pizza

Ella's Wood-Fired Pizza
610 9th Street NW, Entrance on 9th St. Between F & G, Washington DC, DC 20004 (Downtown / Chinatown)
+1 202-638-3434
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #123 of 2,562 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: Pizza
Good for: Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Downtown / Chinatown
Baltimore, Md
“Good food, great service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

Me, my wife and three boys (16,14,10) went here for dinner after a long day walking around DC. Waiter was very nice and attentive. The pizza is personal size, maybe a little larger. $14 is a little steep for this size pizza, but everything in this section of DC is overpriced. Atmosphere was pleasant. Had a kids menu which helped. Pizza was a little too thin, but the crust was great. Would go again. Like most places in DC, a little overpriced for the kids, but there are few good options around for them so I would take them here again.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Allison D, Guest Relations Manager at Ella's Wood-Fired Pizza, responded to this review, December 30, 2013
Thank you!

Frederick, Maryland
“Convenient bite to eat near Verizon Center (3 out of 5)”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

Our trip to this restaurant was all about convenience while keeping the cost down. It was right next door to the parking garage we used and 2 blocks away or a 5 minute walk from the Verizon Center. We arrived on a Saturday night at about 5:30 PM and had to wait about 15-20 minutes for a table for two. There were some tradeoffs as the host managed to seat us about 5 minutes faster than expected by separating two previously joined tables. This was nice, but we were so close to the table of two next to us there was absolutely no privacy between us and them. This wasn't a big deal since it was just me and my son trying to catch a quick bite to eat before a game, but I can imagine how it might be troublesome for others on a different type of engagement.

To drink I wanted to order a sweetened iced tea, but they don't offer any. So, instead I settled for a tragically overpriced bottle of root beer ($3.25). This particular soda was marked up 325% as it only costs $1.00 retail. I could have had a Budweiser for .50 more. I wished they put the cost of their non alcoholic beverages on their menu so I could have known how much they cost. To eat I ordered a salsiccia (Italian for sausage) calzone ($14.00). It came with some sort of green leafy item on top of it. I hate it when restaurants do this. It's just unnecessary and in the way. Give it a rest already. Seriously. I quickly threw that aside and began to dig into my calzone. It was good and exactly what I wanted and another reason I came here. I thought the calzone was reasonably priced. What wasn't reasonable is the 10% tax on our meal imposed by the lovely District of Columbia. One soda a piece with a calzone for me and a spaghetti for my son ended up costing about $40 in total which means this is costlier than an inexpensive restaurant, but less than a mid-range in the District.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Superb pizza!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013 via mobile

We met local friends here while visiting from out of town. They recommended Ella's as we were meeting them after a visit to The Spy Museum, which is nearby. It turned out to be a great recommendation! There were lots of good pies to choose from, including more traditional fare to more unusual toppings. Everyone ordered an individual pizza, so all tastes were accommodated. Thin crust and tasty toppings made for a great experience.

Visited December 2013
So happy you enjoyed everything - thank you!
Dumfries, Virginia, United States
“Neighborhood Gem”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

We've noticed Ella's for weeks now that we found a good parking garage close to the Verizon Center in DC. Ell's is immediately next to the garage and we finally had a chance to try it out after a hockey game at the arena. The place was very, very busy, including the bar with an energetic sound level. The bar has several flat screen televisions for sports fans.

We ordered the mushroom ravioli which was incredibly good and the meatball calzone, also delicious. Our friends had one of the many pizzas and a salad (not sure which one), but they enjoyed their selections as well. Our server was attentive and we appreciated that considering how busy they were.

On the no so great side was the glass of unremarkable red sangria that I ordered ($5.00 except at happy hour when it's $4.00). It was in an unexpectedly small wine glass. The sangria was warm and there were about five pieces of cubed apple in the glass. I wouldn't order it again. Stick to beer here.

We would definitely go back to Ella's just to sample more the menu!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Allison D, Guest Relations Manager at Ella's Wood-Fired Pizza, responded to this review, December 18, 2013
Thank you Barbara - we appreciate the feedback and the nice review!
Fanwood, New Jersey
“Wow, great pizza”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

Went there for lunch while visiting the International Spy Museum - it's just a block or so away. Outstanding pizza. Fairly crowded on a Friday at lunch - we chose to sit at the bar, rather than wait 30 minutes to get seated. The bar tender was good as a waiter, but he was also busy with other tasks, so service could have been better, but the pizza made everything else not matter - OMG this is what Brick Oven pizza is all about - chewy crust, some char, great toppings, lots of good choices for interesting pizzas. Highly recommended.

Visited November 2013
Allison D, Guest Relations Manager at Ella's Wood-Fired Pizza, responded to this review, December 9, 2013
We're happy you found us - thanks for the nice review!