“A great little find!!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Teaism

Teaism
400 8th Street North West, Penn Quarter, Washington DC, DC 20004 (Downtown / Chinatown)
202 6386010
Neighborhood: Downtown / Chinatown
Toronto, Canada
“A great little find!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

What a lovely find!! The gingerbread was simply the most divine, moist, spicy piece of yummy! Would go back for that alone! Breakfast was delicious and quite affordable. There's no coffee here, but that's okay! The teas were excellent. Highly recommended.

Visited August 2012

Atlantic City, New Jersey
“Excellent experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

My friend recommended this spot and after perusing the menu, I was excited to see MANY veggie options. I got the veggie bento box and while it was a wee bit expensive, I did enjoy the experience. I also ordered the local ginger ale and was a bit disappointed at the weak ginger flavor and the too sweet syrup. My friend also got a bento box and was content with her meal. She also ordered a chocolate chip cookie, which she didn't like because it had oatmeal, but that I loved. It had abundant chunks of chocolate and the top was sprinkled with sea salt. I have never had a cookie like that and very much enjoyed it.

I would recommend checking this place out but I can't say I would become a regular as the prices were a bit too high.

• Visited July 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Linda N, Owner at Teaism, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
I'm glad you found us on your visit to DC and enjoyed all the vegetarian options. We just participated in the DC Veg Fest 2012 this past weekend and learned so much about how to support our vegetarian and vegan friends. I am working right now to update our dietary information charts for each of our locations - to answer the essential questions - gluten free? nuts? vegetarian? vegan? I know that our food may seem expensive for a fast casual environment but we use really top quality ingredients - organic and local when possible. So the actual cost of the food that goes into our meals is more in line with what you would find in an expensive restaurant. Please visit again. Cheers!
Washington DC
“Publicly Humiliated Over A Request for Additional Syrup”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

I have been coming to this place since they opened, but my experience this morning was absolutely ridiculous. I ordered the French toast. When I opened the syrup is was only a third full, so I asked my associate who was with me if hers was full and it was. I went to the food preparation area and asked for another syrup, and he told me to go to the register. I did and the lady told me it would cost me $2.25 for a small tiny cup of syrup, do you believe that - outrageous. So I told her that was fine, but the one they gave me was only third full and I showed her my associate’s which was full and she told me that they are pre-filled and there was nothing she could do, I still had to pay $2.25. I could not believe I was having this conversation over some syrup that probably cost them less than a penny to provide. I asked for the manager. He told me they had a new policy, I showed him the two syrups, he da@# near accused me of lying. I told him to go over to the table and he will see that none of the syrup had been used. I could not believe I was having this ridiculous conversation and with a manager. He then took the syrup, looked through the box of prepared syrups and gave me one that was filled to the top like my guest. I was so feed up at that point that my appetite was ruined. We decided to bag up our food and leave. Who wants to eats somewhere where they take you through a public discourse over some da%$ syrup worth less than a penny. If that does not beat all, when I asked for a bag and container, I had my 5 cent ready to pay for it. The cashier told me the bags were free and the containers they gave me were sturdy plastic that were reusable. You mean you took me through this public humiliation in front of all the customers waiting in line over some syrup. You questioned my integrity, by questioning if I had used some of the d*&m syrup and now you are giving away a paper bag and containers that cost way more than the syrup ....really. Could it be that you are watching your inventory and that you do not trust the people who are working for you and opening up the shop? I was there when you opened and they all looked like the hired help to me. A real manager would of never of let this ridiculousness happen in the first place. Unbelievable. Start tending to your business before you do not have a business. The inmates are running the asylum. At these prices, how dare you think twice about giving someone an additional syrup? Let’s start with filling the containers up from the beginning. This nightmare of an experience cost me $20.08, I paid $10.00 for two orders of a single slice of French toast, $5.50 for one piece of sausage (yes, you read me right - one piece of sausage), and $2.75 for the chai. The owner should be ashamed of herself. If she is not careful, one day her help is going to open up their own restaurant, and trust me it is going to happen, with all her recipes and will add insult to injury by providing free syrup. It supposes to be a Japanese inspired menu, not one cook is Japanese or of Asian origin, how authentic is that. Something must be going on here behind the scenes; it is obvious there is more going on here than monitoring the syrup; she must not trust her employees. Something is up, she cannot be this stupid, to charge someone $2.25 for a thimble of syrup and give away brown paper bags and reusable containers, who is that dumb.

• Visited July 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Manama, Bahrain
“Salty Oat Cookies are delicious -the tea is good, too”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

I am a true tea fan. The options here are interesting and delicious, though you have to know your likes and dislikes. The food was good and there was enough choice to satisfy the entire group. I particularly recommend the cookies. It was a fun place to stop for refreshment when my family was in town. I don't know that I would go there especially if I weren't already there, but it was the perfect pick-me-up during a long day.

• Visited March 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Awesome Asian Fare”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012

I love this place! We eat here once everytime we visit DC. Wonderful choices, freshly prepared. Very good price, for the always-expensive DC. Love all the savory tea choices. Don't miss!!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere