“Salad soaked in dressing” 2 of 5 stars

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Cafe Luna
1633 P St NW, Washington DC, DC 20036-1403 (Dupont Circle)
202-387-4005
Neighborhood: Dupont Circle
Cross street: 16th Street
Transit: DuPont Circle metro
fort lauderdale
“Salad soaked in dressing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

To bad this was not a better meal because it is a cute place with outdoor seating right on P Street. We had a couple of salads and a pizza and all three were a bit below average The cob salad was swimming in dressing and did not give the feel of a fresh salad. As for the pizza, thin crust with very little in the way of flavor or toppings.The tables were dirty from being outside and we had to ask the waitress to wipe them off before we ate.There was only one other table of guest and the service was slow.I would not go back with so many other choices in the neighborhood.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

San Juan, Puerto Rico
“Something needs to change, but...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

I've know and visited this restaurant for over a decade. My first visit was for half-price hamburger night (a Sunday night, I believe), back in 2000. Nothing has changed towards the positive since then, and I've lost any interest for it. Three visits in three years, and only to meet a group of folks, who no longer visit it.

It's not a bad place, but it needs to elevate itself just a little. They can start with a better patio presentation. Some dishes can be simpler and less greasy.

I hope they do change.

Visited August 2012
Portland, OR
“I really *want* to love this place”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

I have eaten here five times over the past year (it's close to my office, when I'm in town). Three of those times have been for a Happy Hour menu featuring Indian food from the restaurant upstairs.

Two of those times it was spot-on. Incredible. Really. And, I've spent almost two months in India, on work travel.

Truly delicious Indian "street food" treats were served here that were *so* good on Trip #1 I went back on purpose on Trip #2.

Then, on Trip #3 ... the cook was off that day, or gone, or who knows. But, the same items which were so fantastic twice before were made with wrong ingredients, per their own menu, on a dirty grill (fish stink lingered on the chapati), and obviously executed by someone just phoning it in, not than working their palette.

To be honest, I might try again, because it was so good before. But, you might want to ask if the regular cook from "Heritage India" (the restaurant upstairs) is working before you order. Because I went back very much on purpose after Trip #1, but would never bother going back again for what I got on Trip #3.

• Visited July 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Highland Lakes, New Jersey
“Person on the phone was a luna tick....”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

Had a Groupon for Brunch. We were a party of 4. When making a required reservation I was told they were booked for the day. When I was going to hang up the person I spoke to told me he would squeeze us in at 12:30. Made to feel like he was doing us a favor. When we arrived the place was 3/4 empty. Plenty of tables. We arrived at 12:35 and were immediately told we were late. Brunch is served from 10 am to closing with unlimited mimosas and bloody marys. They were serving brunch for only 1 1/2 hours at this point. We wanted to start with a bloody mary, but they did not have any. We were told they were all gone, so we settled for mimosas. They were hardly mimosas, that were really just orange juice with a splash of something sparkling. No bartender staff, wait staff was mixing the mimosas by the pitcher. The food was just OK, not even good. The service was ok. We overheard the same person who told us they were booked, telling that to another person on the telephone when they were trying to make a reservation. What is his problem? Parking is a challenge. Pass on Café Luna, even if it's not a full moon.

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Arlington, Virginia
“Great Restaurant for before the theatre”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

We were going to the Keegan Theatre only a few blocks away. We always park in the lot across the street from Cafe Luna. We finally decided to give it a try and were pleasantly surprised. It is in the basement, so we had sort of low expectations, but they were greatly surpassed. The food, service and the prices were all great. We will definitely return. We had mostly Italian seafood dishes, but looking around at other tables, their food looked good too. Next time, I think I will try their lamb dishes.

• Visited May 2013