“Client I entertained there was talking about it 3 days later” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Vidalia Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #13 of 2,623 restaurants in Washington DC
Good for: Romance, Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: 20th St NW
Transit: Dupont Circle Red Line
Minneapolis, mn
“Client I entertained there was talking about it 3 days later”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

I took a group of six to Vidalia, including a client and his wife. Our server, Amanda, was terrific. The food was exceptional. Two in our group had dishes they thought were the best of their genre the'd ever had: the sweetbreads and the duck. Dinner for six, including drinks (beers and champagnes), dessert, and tip came in under $750, a little high for this type of dinner.

Key for me, though, was that the client I took there was talking about the experience days later. I got a text from a colleague asking, "Where did you take [Client] the other night?" and another from him thanking me for hooking him up with Vidalia.

• 5 of 5 stars Food

81% Recommend
Weems, VA
“Doesn't get much better than this”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

My partner and I took two of our adult kids to this restaurant for a special night and we were certainly rewarded with a great evening. Our server was personable, knowledgeable and provided excellent service. We were a few minutes late for our reservation but rewarded with a booth that was previously reserved but the people had not arrived. All of our many questions about the wine selections were graciously answered. Each couple ordered an appetizer to split and instead of bringing us the appetizer with two plates to split each appetizer was presented independently and most attractive. The avocado cold soup served to cleanse our pallet was unexpected but a nice touch. Three of our meals were excellent and because of the way they treated the fourth that was not up to par, I give this restaurant 5 stars instead of 4. The 4th entree was removed from the bill and we were provided delicious desserts free of charge. And if all this wasn't above and beyond expectations, the bill for the evening was less than one would expect for such class, attention, and mouth watering food and drink. Make sure you add this restaurant to the top of your go to list for a special evening.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Minneapolis
“Paula Deen, You Broke My Heart”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

Loved it. Yes, we did. A little faded and maybe a bit too captive to its legacy--"We've had that on our menu for decades," we were told--but still a wonderful experience. The space is a downstairs room with different levels of seating. It's bright and warm, a great place for intimate conversation. The clientele was older, no young hipsters to be seen. Drinks were well done. The ham sampler appetizer was exemplary. The vidalia onion is there but the waiter seemed to apologize and explain that, well, it's always been there, and this being, after all Vidalia, we had to try it. Glad we did, would not do it again. Entrees were perfectly acceptable. Nothing amazing. The dessert we shared, the donut thing, was not good. Three chewy donuts on a plate, on the dry side, we sampled one and let the rest go. Not worth the calories. If not for the enduring and sentimental attachment of loyal patrons, my guess is that Vidalia would not, as they say, make it. The shrimp and grits I was served certainly presented well, but the flavor was just okay. Just okay. Maybe a bit more salt when cooking the shrimp were cooked? There was just not a WOW factor. Maybe let Paula Deen into the kitchen to add fat and butter and more fat and lots of salt and maybe sugar or corn syrup, something, to move this along?

• 3 of 5 stars Food
Seattle, Washington
“Not for groups”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

This establishment receives much praise for its food and service. Such high ratings seem to apply to the standard situation of a small number of guests ordering a la carte. But I can only confirm a warning that comes through in other critical reviews: Vidalia is not the place for a group reservation with a fixed menu. In a recent experience with such a setting, I found the service still agreeable but the food disastrous. Low quality ingredients, careless preparation and poor presentation. The price to value ratio was totally unacceptable.

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
SallieBuben, Owner at Vidalia Restaurant, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
I was disheartened to read your comments about group dining. That is certainly not how we want our guests to feel. We work very hard to make our private dining events above average and would like to hear more details from you if possible, since this is the first one we have had. We certainly can make mistakes but would like to prevent them from happening again. Please call Vidalia’s General Manager, Mike Nevarez at 202.659.1990 or email him at mnevarez@vidaliadc.com with your contact information. We look forward to your input and observations. Regards, Sallie Buben
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Could be the Best Southern Cuisine in DC”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

I like good Southern cooking, and I've tried a lot of it around town. Maybe not all of it, but a lot of it. Vidalia certainly ranks at the top of my experience for that type of food in DC. Freshness, preparation, presentation and flavors were all very nice. Prices are not out of line with the quality, and service was quite good - attentive and professional, but not intrusive.

I had to think a bit about whether to rate them "very good" or "excellent," but I settled on "excellent," since, while it may not be the best Southern restaurant food ever (That would be Mrs. Wilkes, in Savannah, GA), it is at the top of my list for Southern food in DC.

• 5 of 5 stars Food