“This place is glorious. The atmosphere and service make you feel like you're in a Humprhey Bogart film...very art deco...” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Tosca Restaurant

Tosca Restaurant
1112 F St NW, Washington DC, DC 20004-1308 (Downtown / Chinatown)
202-367-1990
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Tosca Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #25 of 2,495 Restaurants in Washington DC
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown / Chinatown
Cross street: between 11th and 12th
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2008

This place is glorious. The atmosphere and service make you feel like you're in a Humprhey Bogart film...very art deco, old Hollywood. The pasta is incredible and the menu is very accessible. You can order a la carte from the tasting menu and you order half portions of pasta to share as a group. The main entrees (meat/fish dishes) are also superb. I would eat here every night if I could.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Great italian food; excellent service. Great to conduct businness meetings!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2008

Great italian food; excellent service. Great to conduct businness meetings!!

Montana
“Truly Magnificent Dining Experience!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2008

I visited Tosca on my recent trip to Washington DC in January 2008. I had read many reviews claiming Tosca to be one of the best restaurants in the United States, but I reserved my opinion until I tried it for myself. It did not disappoint. The service was impeccable and the decor contemporary and tastefully done. The staff was always there to whisk away a finished plate or get you what you needed, without hovering. As a single traveler and diner, I was worried about the service I would receive compared with large groups spending $500 dollars there. However, I am pleased to say that I was treated like a godess and treated as a valued customer just like everyone else. There was only one glich in my service. The maitre^de did not mark the second place setting at my table to let the server know I was alone. The server thus assumed I was waiting on someone and I was left unattended for some time. I soon realized what was going on and let the server know. They were extremely apologetic and proceeded to get my food ordered and delivered speedily and kept a watchful eye on me all evening. I was bothered at the mistake at first, but the rest of the evening made up for it.
I you want a great three course meal at an outrageously cheap price, have the pre-theatre menu served from 5:30 to 7:00 p.m. It is only $35 and the portions were surprisingly large. I was actually disappointed in the appetizer and dessert I ordered. I had heard so much hype about the restaurant that I was expecting more. The radicchio sald with gorgonzola cheese and pear was delicious, but nothing extrodinary. I had the amaretto chocolate custard for desert and well it was also delicious, it left something to be desired. It was not as creamy as I expected and lacked the intense flavors I found in my main course. The main course, however, was the BEST food I have ever eaten. I had the ricotta raisin ravioli with brown sage butter and thought I was going to die. It was absolutely the richest, most flavorful dish I have ever eaten. Another plus is that free, mini desserts are given to you after the meal and they were quite yummy. The restaurant has an extensive wine list and the staff is very knowledgable regarding this subject. I have never had wine and the server picked out one that suited my amateur status and I must say it was an excellent choice. The food presentation was superb and the wait time for food non-existent.
Overall, I would recommend this restaurant for anyone who wants a upscale dining experience that can be at a resonable price. The service is worth the money alone and I would highly recommend it to single travelers. The wine list and large menu make it appeal to anyone (even myself, a vegetarian). The appetizers and main courses are especially note-worthy, but I would skip the raddichio sald and custards and stick with the house specialties-chestnut or parsnip soup and the tirasimu recommended on most websites.

“great service!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2008

great service!

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“decent italian food, a bit overpriced”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2008

decent italian food, a bit overpriced