“pasta good but meat bad” 3 of 5 stars

Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Wyoming Ave
Transit: Red Line to Dupont Circle
Colorado
“pasta good but meat bad”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2011

We visited with a group of seven and had varied opinions, so overall, I'm giving this place three stars. Ravioli was good. Linguini was good. Marinara sauce was thick, chunky and delicious. My chicken parmigiana, however, was dry, stringy and inedible. My husband told me his sausage was overcooked and dry, but even so, I asked for sausage to replace my chicken, and got the same, dry, hard sausage (though it was better then the chicken). Fried calamari was hard and rubbery. Service was very slow. 10 minutes before anyone took our drink order. 20 till we got our bread, and we received just one basket for a large party (same size as was given to tables for two or four). 30 minutes before they even took our dinner order. Hmm, the more I write, the more I wonder why we stayed, but we were tired after a long day of sightseeing and enjoying each other's company. Cannoli for dessert was good, but much sweeter and creamier than traditional cannoli. (I don't generally like cannoli, which is probably why I liked this. The filling was more like frosting than traditional cannoli filling.) Overall, if you go to this restaurant, stick with the pasta, and pass on the meats.

• Visited July 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

washington, dc
“Interesting but lonely”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2009

Just returned from lunch at Pines of Florence V. Went there for mussles, but since at lunchtime I was the only person in the restaurant decided that was probably not a wise choice. I ordered a Negroni on the rocks and the waiter (nice but definitely not Italian) told me they didn't have any Negroni in the bar. So I told him how to make the cocktail. After looking over the menu, and since I was the only person in the restaurant, I decided on their $6.95 lasagna lunch special--which, for the money, what's not to like! It was hot and fine. I love little "hole-in-the-wall" Italian restaurants and I'm really surprised with all the high-end apartments around that there weren't more (any) customers. I'm tempted to go back at night, just to see what happens after dark. All in all, the service was fine, the decor is, well decor! I'd definitely go back and give it another shot.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Airdrie, Canada
“Nice quiet restaraunt”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2009

We enjoyed the tasty food, friendly staff, good price and great location. It's only a half block from the Normandy hotel.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Often missed”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2008

Often missed

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“They make some of the best cheese pizza ever! AND it's cheap!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2008

They make some of the best cheese pizza ever! AND it's cheap!