“Definitely the best pizza in Washington DC” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Il Canale is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #101 of 2,562 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza, Pub
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: M Street NW
Description: Located in the heart of Georgetown, il Canale offers the most authentic Neapolitan pizza in DC, thin-crust made by our Italian pizzaiolos cooked in a wood-fired oven imported directly from Italy. The kitchen, led by Naples-born Antonio Biglietto, offers a menu that brings our native country to your table with every selection—antipasti, pastas, seafood, meat, fresh Bufala mozzarella from Italy, and so much more. The attractive blue-lit, full bar specializes in carefully selected Italian wines. In warm weather, dine alfresco at the sidewalk tables or on the roof-top terrazza overlooking the Georgetown scene.Be sure to check out our new lunch menu, featuring three delicious new paninis made with our fresh bread baked instantly in our wood fire brick oven and four new pasta items.Our happy hour, from 4-6 pm Monday-Friday, features not only reduced wine, beer, and Italian aperitivi, but also amazing homemade items for extremely reasonable prices! (Happy Hour restricted to bar area).
Rome, Italy
“Definitely the best pizza in Washington DC”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

Il Canale simply provides the excellence in the typical Napoletan cousine pizza in Washington. The recipes, ingredients and processes are the same as in Naples. You will forget all other imitations and touristy traps; you'll hardly go back to other places. It is a recurring compulsory choice everytime back in Washingotn DC. Only avoit the beautiful terrace since sometime the wind pushes downwards some ashes from the cimney; hopefully the restaurant will fix it.

• Visited August 2012

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“the best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

I have never had a bad meal there everything is good. Like to sit outside its relatively quiet for georgetown but there are only a few seats. Brick pizza oven, high quality ingredients. My favorite is the way they do their bruschetta an appetizer of tomatoes on bread. so delicious, so fresh, so simple, but impossible to find anywhere else in this area.

• Visited May 2012
Virginia
“A nice roof top terrace dinner!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

My wife and I had a nice dinner there tonight up on the roof top terrace. Not a huge terrace, but shades and breezy. Service was great, food was very good. Just a great place for dinner. A bit pricey, like everything in Georgetowm, you wouldn't call this a bargain, but a good value and nice and relaxed. The seating inside looked very nice, the place was pretty fulll on early Friday night. Better than most restaurants in Georgetown I've eaten at - I like Georgetown, but the crowds make getting a nice restaurant hard, so I tend to avoid it.

• Visited August 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
New York City, New York
“Great service very good for travelers”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

This is a great choice if you are looking for a very good meal in DC. It was recommended at my conference and we thought we would try it. None of us were disappointed. Service was thoughtful and prompt and we were not rushed.

Visited February 2012
United Kingdom
“PERFECTO!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

We walked by Il Canale the previous evening, they were giving away free samples of their pizza, although we didn't taste it, I made a point of returning the following evening. Firslty, the service. I have noticed a couple of bad reviews regarding service, not the case here. We were served by an Italian guy who had spent a few years in Manchester (UK), he was very friendly, we talked about football (soccer), the problems in Europe and how he enjoyed the States. He was informative regarding the menu,only four or five entrees but, (most importantly) just like it's made in Italy. From what I saw of the other staff, this was the norm, each one was attentive and seemed very friendly.

The food. The starters are huge, I had the meatballs and that was a meal on it's own! The sauce was amazing, and the meatballs, melt in the mouth! All the main courses were fantastic, I had a steak, it was outstanding. All the pastas were fantastic. Unfortunately, we were in a rush, so no time for dessert, albeit, after the starters, I don' think I could have managed it!

A truly great all round experience!

• Visited July 2012