“Made this the first taste of DC for my cousin & his family...” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Georgia Brown's

Georgia Brown's
950 15th St NW, Washington DC, DC 20005 (Dupont Circle)
(202) 393-4499
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Georgia Brown's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #153 of 2,495 Restaurants in Washington DC
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Dessert, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Dupont Circle
Cross street: Between K and I Streets
Transit: We are conveniently located near the McPherson Square metro station on the orange and blue lines. Exit the metro at Vermont Avenue and walk one-half block North on 15th Street. Traveling on the red line stop at Farragut North. Walk two blocks east on K Street. Turn right at the corner of 15th and K. We are mid-way through the block on the right.
Description: Come and experience our lively interpretation of South Carolina Low-Country cuisine. Enjoy good southern food, servers who bubble over with hospitality, and a dining room that is truly distinctive. With its honey-colored walls, golden woods and bronze sculptures that crawl across the ceiling, designer Adam Tihany has created an atmosphere to awaken your senses. What better place to enjoy low country cuisine than in this contemporary environment celebrating the south. Offering the flavor of the South - the Soul of Washington; where we will be sure to leave a light burning in the window for you, our guests. Follow us on Twitter: twitter.com/gbrowns Visit our Facebook page: www.georgiabrowns.com/facebook
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Made this the first taste of DC for my cousin & his family...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

Overall this experience was very good. The table had representation from gumbo (very good), shrimp and grits (very good), buttermilk fried chicken (good), Charleston perlau (excellent), and chicken fried meatloaf (disappointing). I felt bad that my son [who ordered the cfm] wished he had ordered the Charleston perlau after tasting my dish. My cousin and his family had just arrived and after dinner we had planned to walk the monuments and memorials so GB's food was perfect before 2 hours of walking.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Louisville, KY
“Excellent Southern Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013 via mobile

Visited Georgia Brown's while on a business trip and was not disappointed. They served sweet cornbread and biscuits with butter that tasted like it had a bit of honey whipped into it. The cornbread and butter was very good; biscuits were not bad.

While they had quite a long list of appetizers that looked good, I opted for the she-crab soup. It was really delicious, very creamy and rich. My entree was the shrimp and grits. This turned out to be another excellent choice. It came with about 8 giant shrimp that were sweet and tender. The sauce and grits were absolutely wonderful, again very rich. This place is not for those on a diet! Although I definitely did not need dessert, I decided to try the cream brulee. It too was excellent.

Atmosphere was nice - attractive but not overly fancy. Service was excellent. I would love to hit this place again next I'm in D.C. but will need to jog about 20 miles just to offset the appetizer! Highly recommended.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
INDIANAPOLIS
“Amazing!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

We went Sunday evening for dinner and cocktails while in DC. The service was outstanding, and the food was absolutely delicious! You won't be disappointed!

Visited July 2013
Havelock, North Carolina
“Just Average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

While the atmosphere is awesome, live jazz and great (some) employees, the food was just okay. I was a bit discontent with my server particularly. He gave the impression he didn't want to be there and as if I (we) were bothering him. He also gave a discontent look when the hostess sat another couple in his area.
My biggest issue is this: if your establishment opens for business at 4 (not sure of the time) and you know you were out of a particular item as of the previous night, ensure it's availability the next night, by having the employees in by 2 to prepare.
Server 105 Bob V.

Visited July 2013
Seattle, WA
“In need of cleaning because of sour smells”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

I had a hard time just walking into the place because it smelled so bad. Smells like they need to do some serious rug or upholstery cleaning or something. It was a sour smell like the inside of a city bus on a hot day and urine man is at the back of the bus. I grinned and tolerated it because my friends wanted to eat there. The meal was good. But I won't be back because of the smell.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere