“Great for Happy Hour” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Madhatter

Madhatter
1831 M St NW, Washington DC, DC 20036-2514 (Connecticut Ave/ K Street)
(202) 833-1495
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Madhatter is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #872 of 2,567 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Connecticut Ave/ K Street
Washington, DC
“Great for Happy Hour”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

Madhatter has great decor and a huge bar. it is a great place for happy hour, or a quick sit-down lunch. The $5 cheeseburger lunch special is as good as any other burger on the block, but the rest of the menu is pretty so-so.

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Excellent bar service and best chicken fingers ever”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

I think that the Madhatter is a forgotten gem. Great food, drinks and the service is great. I've only eaten in the dining room once and our server was really good. The bartenders are also great.

There are some reviews on here that's find unfair. If you're looking for fine dining, then this may not be what you're looking for. But, if you're looking for great food, nice people and clean restaurant - definitely visit.

Ad, try the chicken fingers!

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Lexington, Kentucky
“AVOID the Madhatter in Dupont Circle!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

I am a big fan of the food scene in DC and my experience at the Mad Hatter will go down as my worst experience ever in the city!

Neglectful service, leaving drink glasses empty for more than 15-20 minutes and our server only had one other table, - the place was dead. The appetizer we ordered came out extremely late, after we were almost done with the salad, and was obviously forgotten about. The "Mad Hatter Salad" we ordered did not match the description in the menu; we were served low quality lettuce with corn on top???

I ordered the salmon filet and was served a rancid, smelly piece of fish that had food poisoning written all over it. I took one bite and new immediately it was bad. As good friends do, I asked my friend to try it without telling her what I thought of it first, and she, too said it was not edible.
We were served wine in dirty glasses and the more terrible things that happened to us at this place, the server just got more and more annoyed, as if this was his bad dinner experience.

I could go on and on about how AWFUL this place was, but the bottom line is DON'T GO!! Not worth the risk and SOOOO many other great places in DC to try. I can not believe they have received the ranking that they have here on Trip Adviser. TERRIBLE service, food and overall atmosphere and quality will leave you wishing you had picked a different restaurant.

• Visited November 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Singapore, Singapore
“Amazing burgers! Go there if you're hungry!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

Absolutely amazing burgers! I had the BMF Burger (BMF means "Big MotherF*****", the waiter told me), so you can imagine...it wasn't small! Check pictures, you'll quickly know what I mean. This burger was not only big but just so delicious! I haven't been to any other burger place in Washington DC because I only stayed a few days but believe me, you won't be disappointed. My friend had the classic burger and was also very very happy with it.

As a starter, we ordered the buffalo wings, which I also strongly recommend. You can't get them in many restaurants, so it's a good opportunity to get some here.

But please be aware that you have to be VERY hungry to finish that BMF burger completely. Especially if you ordered a starter before :-)

The waiter was extremely kind and polite with us, so a great service. And the atmosphere was perfect. There wasn't many people eating when we came because it was in the middle of the week and we arrived at about 10pm. But there was a couple of people at the bar having drinks.

Fantastic place to experience real american burger. I highly recommend this place.

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Young, loud bar”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

Great space to dance and decent drinks, but the crowd is always massive and sweaty. Could be fun if you get there early, but make sure to scope out a space to stand/dance - and stay there!

Visited January 2012