“Slipping” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Bombay Club Restaurant

Bombay Club Restaurant
815 Connecticut Ave NW Ste 302, Washington DC, DC 20006-4004 (Dupont Circle)
(202) 659-3727
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Bombay Club Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #98 of 2,562 Restaurants in Washington DC
Transit: Farragut West & Farragut North Metro Lines
Cherry Hill, New Jersey
“Slipping”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

Hopefully we hit is on an off night, but the restaurant appeared to be slipping. Food not quite as good, staffing not polished. Still good, but not the tiptop perfect experience it once was.

• Visited October 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

“Great vegetarian food here”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2011

We've been twice to this Indian restaurant in our 4 night stay in Washington. Whilst it's not a vegetarian restaurant it has a good vegetarian menu within it. Service and atmosphere brilliant as well.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Annandale, Virginia
“A lovely meal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2011

I visited this restaurant a week ago with a colleague, and on the way got caught in a sudden downpour with no umbrella. I was a little nervous to enter, given our current state of wet, and some of the previous reviews, but the host, and wait staff could not have been move pleasant and gracious.

We were seated in a small round booth, and immediately offered drinks, which were delivered quickly. We each choose a tasting platter, so we could try a variety of their food. We also got a bread basket.. I think it was the onion Kulcha that was so delicious.. I don't usually go for Indian breads, but this one was something worth writing about!
The food overall was very good, and again, the waitstaff was great. They did not hover, but were always right there when we needed anything.

The restaurant itself is quite beautiful... a white piano with a pianist playing delicate background music. It was a great place to sit and chat.. we chatted LONG after we had finished eating, and never once felt any pressure to leave.

A note about visiting in fall of 2011... the restaurant is underneath the current construction going on, and we missed it on the first walk by.

• Visited October 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Washington, DC
“Snobby beyond belief. Please, this is curry, not elegant cuisine!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2011

We would have loved to have eaten at the Bombay Club. We really would have, but for the horrible snobbery of the staff there. With plenty of open tables on a Friday night, we were told there was "just no way" we could be seated. While we were dressed well, clearly upscale clientele, the snobby host apparently felt we weren't desirable in his restaurant. We weren't indicated we could be seated, we weren't provided with a reasonable time to predict, nor did he indicate we could be on the wait list. He didn't invite us to sit in the bar, nor seem interested in having us eat. Having eaten at the city's best restaurants, I was surprised to find this pretentious, overdressed, curry place show us the hand. We'll stick to real mughal cuisine, thanks very much.

• Visited September 2011
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Very Good Food, Great Service and Ambiance”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2011

Bombay Club is my favorite Indian restaurant in DC. I certainly haven't tried them all, but so far, it's the winner. Other reviews give them lower marks for the fact that it is expensive and the menu is limited to standard Indian fare, and if something more edgy and creative is what you are looking for, this may not be your place. Yes, the prices are fairly high, but the location, ambiance and quality of service are primarily what drives that higher price. I like the elegant decor and the cordial but formal attitude of the waitstaff. I also like the old standard Indian dishes, so Bombay Club wins my vote.

I've eaten there many times and never experienced any of the problems with service and/or food quality described in some of the negative reviews. Several of those reviews described problems with Sunday brunch, or snooty waiters who didn't welcome kids, etc. In my experience, Sunday brunch is rarely when any restaurant is at its peak, and it's not necessarily uncommon for restaurants of this quality to show a certain disdain for people who bring young children.

Because I like the more traditional dishes and the elegant atmosphere, I rate it higher than Rasika, although Rasika is very good. I just like Bombay Club a little more.

• Visited February 2011