“Tex-Mex Food in a VERY Noisy Setting” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Cactus Cantina

Cactus Cantina
3300 Wisconsin Ave NW, Washington DC, DC 20016-3808 (Upper Northwest)
202-686-7222
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Upper Northwest
vickistrips
“Tex-Mex Food in a VERY Noisy Setting”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

I wish I could give this restaurant a better rating but the noise level inside during a recent Friday night dinner was so overwhelming, I had to scream to be heard by the other ladies at my table.

Not fun, not pleasing, not even so-so.

If we had eaten outdoors, PERHAPS the whole evening could have been saved but every table was already full outside on a lovely spring evening. Now I know why.

The food was barely okay for all three of us with three different meals but the overall experience was so uncomfortable, I doubt I'll ever go back there to eat. My mom liked her frozen margarita and hated her meal (the grilled shrimp was burned black and stuck to her plate). I had a so-so salad with grilled chicken (which I couldn't even eat - zero flavor).

I ate at this restaurant about ten years ago (when President Bush was known to show up now and again) but it just doesn't show the same attention to detail these days.

I probably won't ever return.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Upstate New York
“Outstanding Tex-Mex!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Returned to this restaurant on a recent trip to DC with family. I was not disappointed at all to find the service, food, and atmosphere hadnt changed a bit. Excellent Tex-Mex. Worth the drive down Wisconsin Avenue.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Just average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

Nothing special about this place. Was just ok. Salsa was very bland and boring. You can get much better for your $

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Ann Arbor, Michigan
“Classic Tex-Mex”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

We have eaten here several times, both for fun as we well as to have casual business meetings. The food is always well prepared. The nachos as an appetizer or dinner for one are my favorite. They are done as individual chips and the steak ones are fantastic. Margaritas are always good!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
“Delicious and lots of fun!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

Terrific Mexican food with great atmosphere and service! 7 of us had a wonderful dinner there. The Monterey salad is one of the best salads I have ever had! Crunchy and fresh with a peanutty vinaigrette dressing = yum! Chips and salsa are plentiful and delicious. Several people had fajitas and they were great. The restaurant was nice and large - plenty of room for big groups. Looks like it has great outdoor space, but it was cold and windy when we were there so nobody was outside. Can't wait to go back!

• Visited March 2013