“Not what it used to be” 3 of 5 stars
Review of District Chophouse & Brewery

District Chophouse & Brewery
509 7TH St NW, Washington DC, DC 20004-1601 (Downtown / Chinatown)
(202) 347-3434
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
District Chophouse & Brewery is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #180 of 2,709 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups, Doing business, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown / Chinatown
Cross street: 7th Between E & F
Transit: Gallery Place/Chinatown on Red/Yellow/Green Line.
“Not what it used to be”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013 via mobile

We have had both lunches and dinners here for years. Always good until this year. We had a party of 9 for dinner. The waiter was slow and inattentive. They brought our salads and within five minutes brought our entrees before we had time to finish the salads. Additionally, they did not bother to take the salad plates so there was little room for the entrees.

Our steaks were all overcooked. Rare was medium rare, medium rare was medium well and medium was well done. I hope this was a one time problem, but since the place was only half full at 7:00 p.m., they may have a problem.

Hopefully, they will get their act together soon. We will try one more time.

OC
“Skal winter board meeting in DC”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

The staff was extremely professional and courteous. The food was superb. The shrimp, tuna tar-tar appetizers and my filet were fabulous. Great bar upstairs with a free Guest pool table.

Visited February 2013
Waterford, VA
“Still Good but losing it”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

We still like the convenience of the chop house near the Verizon Center. And the food is decent, but service is going downhill & it's missing that special something. Even the kids were less happy this time. Waiter forgot several items & was not happy to be there. Though food was decent, it wasn't exceptional. Would go again because it's convenient, but you can find more interesting places to eat if that's your main goal. If you are looking for a place near the verizon center that works with kids & has decent beer, this establishment is still a good choice.

Visited January 2013
San Diego
“excellent house brews”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

We were walking around the mall and needed to sit for a while. Didn't eat here but just had a couple of beers. The bar area was pleasant, good lighting, great service, and the beer was excellent, for decent prices, too. I would go back for dinner based on the good experience I had.

Visited January 2013
Federalsburg, Maryland
“Stop for the chop, if your wallet can take it.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend and I stopped here for a late dinner after a concert at the Verizon Center. It's proximity to that venue is a definite plus. Out server was excellent. She was attentive and provided helpful answers to our questions about the menu. She was also very accommodating. My boyfriend ordered coffee at the end of our meal and, as it was nearing closing time, they'd already dumped their pot, but she was quick to start up a fresh pot for us.

Now, for the food. Like many other reviewers, I agree that, while good, the amount and quality does not warrant the inflated price. Of course, you ARE in DC. We shared the seared tuna starter and it was excellent. Pricey, but excellent. For dinner, I ordered the crab cake. I found it on the small side and somewhat bland. I've had larger, better tasting crab cakes for a fraction of the price. My side of mashed potatoes were, however, awesome. My boyfriend was more satisfied with his meal choice. He ordered the pork chop and they did it just right and the pork gravy was delicious with it. We split the chocolate mousse for dessert and it was both large and delicious.

Overall, it's a nice, classy restaurant with excellent waitstaff. The booths are large and comfortable enough. The restrooms are an elevator ride away in the basement, a slightly baffling experience, bit that could have been due to the wine I'd consumed earlier. Would I eat here again? Yes, I probably would as the occasional treat for a night out. But I'd most likely skip the surf and go for turf. Bearing in mind that that seared tuna was superb, of course!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere