“LOVE this place!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Mama Ayesha Restaurant

Mama Ayesha Restaurant
1967 Calvert St NW, Washington DC, DC 20009-1501 (Adams Morgan)
(202) 232-5431
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Mama Ayesha Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #201 of 2,709 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: African, Middle Eastern
Dining options: Reservations, Buffet
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Adams Morgan
Cross street: Biltmore St
Transit: A few minutes walking distance from the Woodley Park/Adams Morgan/ Zoo Metro Station
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“LOVE this place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

I come to Mama Ayesha's restaurant every time I'm in DC. They have wonderful Lebanese food and were knowledgeable about what to order gluten free. The service was good and the food was better!

This place is loved by locals and you never know who you'll run into while there.

Visited October 2012

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Following Obama's foot steps into this Middle Eastern restaurant”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

The first time I passed Mama Ayesha's I was not even living in DC, I was attracted to its mural painting and learnt that Obama has been there. I thought right I will follow his foot steps to try this place. Finally moved to DC and it took me one year to get round to do it. I like the place, the deco and the service. However, the food is so so to me. My lamb shish kebab was not entirely cooked to my order of medium rare, some are overcooked, in addition the meat is not really tender, I am not sure what cut it is. My dinner companion's lamb chops is a weir cut that does not resemble the shape of other lamb chops we have had. The taste is not bad. The tabouleh also taste rather plain, not enough of seasoning, oil......etc. Though I am not of middle east origin, since I have been to Lebanon and been entertained plenty of times by the local. I like to think I can taste good middle east food when I have one. I was told the dessert Balaclava was ok, both of us agreed you could have better middle east food elsewhere, for one, the Kababji Grill is much better food wise. NO hurry of going back to this one.

A note about parking though, there is a bus depot connected to one side of the restaurant, it is not an official carpark for the restaurant, but if you let the hostess know which one is your car, she seems to suggest that it is ok to park there. I did, and the car was not towed when I was out.

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
“Very Average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

The food is simple, overpriced and very average. There are many choices in DC and consider somewhere else. At half the price I would recommend it.

Visited September 2012
Chesapeake, Virginia
“So delicious and a beautiful atmosphere.....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

This was nearby and recommended when we stayed in a Bed and Breakfast in the Hays Morgan section of town. The food was wonderfully seasoned and tender. My husband had an eggplant special that was similar to stuffed peppers and I had a chicken shish kebab. Both were excellent. We would return any time we are back in DC. The restaurant was lively without being too noisy and quite lovely.

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Leland, North Carolina
“Years of Consistently Great Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

It’s been 20-years since I’ve been to Mama’s and they continue the tradition of flavorful, authentic, very good Lebanese food. The lamb shank was moist, well seasoned and nicely plated. Vegetarian dishes were very good, especially the grape leaves. Roasted chicken was abundant and appropriately seasoned. Will definitely return soon.

• Visited September 2012