“Gotta love the oysters” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Old Ebbitt Grill

Old Ebbitt Grill
675 15th St NW, Washington DC, DC 20005-5702 (National Mall)
+1 202-347-4800
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Old Ebbitt Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #20 of 2,700 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Oyster Bar, Sandwiches
Good for: Bar scene, Doing business, Local cuisine, Entertaining clients
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: National Mall
Cross street: 15th between F and G
Transit: Metro: Red Line to Metro Center, Orange/Blue to McPherson Square
Description: Established in 1856, the Old Ebbitt Grill was a favorite of Presidents Grant, Cleveland, Harding, and Theodore Roosevelt. The restaurant's decor is comprised of a Beaux-Arts facade, mahogany and velvet booths, and bars set in marble, brass, and beveled glass. Old Ebbitt serves a diverse selection of food including steaks, seafood, pasta, sandwiches, and also features an Oyster Bar.
Annapolis, Maryland
“Gotta love the oysters”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

OEG is the home of the annual Oyster Riot, but it's so much more. Perched in the middle of DC, across from the Treasury Building, it is a grand building with an extensive menu, excellent food and top-notch service. I'm a huge fan of their oyster stew, with its deep-fried oysters. Steaks and other red-meat fare are excellent also.

Great single malt selection at the (usually packed) bar.

• Visited November 2012

• Thai first
Maryland
“I must go back!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

What a lovely brunch spot - filled with tradition, history, great food and wonderful service. I will go back often - I'd love to try everything on their menu and have the chance to soak up the atmosphere, over and over. They have a great bar, which I'd like to try out n a future visit, as well as their raw bar offerings. Suggest you make a reservation, otherwise you can expect a bit of a wait on weekends.

Visited March 2013
“Beautiful place, tasty food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013 via mobile

Great location, amazing, caring staff with great food. We went for lunch, 70 bucks for a chicken sand and rock fish with 2 cocktails and calamari. The prices were reasonable & what you should expect. The only complaint is that the calamari was very very salty. I think they dumped an entire can of salt in the batter. Otherwise it was great!

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Landmark location...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

Since this is considered one of the best restaurants in DC, I hope I've just had an atypical experience. I thought it would be great to have brunch by the White House; the building and decor are really nice, so I was pretty excited.

Started with oysters, which were good, except that the server put the order receipt right on top of the oysters. I really did not like having a wet receipt topping, especially given all the talk about receipts and BPA exposure.

I guess I also made the mistake of ordering an atypical dish - the a Japanesse style pork dish for the cherry blossom festival. It was not very well done and definitely not worth $15. I guess I should've gone with a seafood dish - the crab cakes that I had a taste of were really good.... So I guess if you go, stick with the staples?

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
“Historic, well-placed, reasonably priced--make a reservation!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

This restaurant is considered one of the best for a reason. It is a stone's throw from the White House and other monuments and was supposedly frequented by many presidents and other important people over the years. We had made reservations for a Saturday night--good thing because apparently the wait without one was an hour and a half when we showed up at our scheduled time. (I did hear one person who had waited say the food was worth the wait as she was leaving.) I only got the potato truffle ravioli but it was absolutely amazing, seriously incredible stuff. The waitress did say the parmesan trout was excellent but I wasn't in a seafood mood, although I'd love to go back and try it sometime. Busy, fun, relatively casual atmosphere. I saw some patrons in fancy dresses and some wearing jeans and t-shirts. The food is MUCH better than a lot of other places nearby that are more expensive. I'll definitely be going back next time I'm in D.C.!

• Visited March 2013