“Expensive Tapas That Had Some Great Hits and Just Minor Misses” 4 of 5 stars

+1 202-803-8020
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Range is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #528 of 2,768 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: American
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: In 2011, after opening three well-received restaurants in Frederick, MD, celebrated Chef Bryan Voltaggio launched his first concept in the nation's capital with RANGE. This spacious 14,000 square-foot restaurant, located in the Friendship Heights neighborhood, includes over 300 seats and 9-kitchen stations, including a raw bar, salumeria, wood-fired grill, pasta station, rotisserie, and bakery. A culmination of all his experiences as a chef, Chef Bryan Voltaggio offers inventive American cuisine inspired by regional mid-Atlantic flavors and ingredients. RANGE-named after the various foods available from local ranges within the Chesapeake watershed-focuses on serving a variety of dishes from an extensive menu of nearly 100 a la carte items. RANGE also shares space with Aggio, Voltaggio's Italian restaurant-within-a-restaurant.
Bethesda, Maryland
“Expensive Tapas That Had Some Great Hits and Just Minor Misses”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

The bar was packed while we waiting for our table. There must have been 6-7 bartenders creating unique cocktails. Once we finally sat down the table overlooked the middle of a mall/office building which I didn't love, but the food made up for that. The starters were all delicious and priced well. Loved the cornbread with bacon marmalade that was filling. The Lobster mac and cheese was ok, but didnt think worth the price. Loved the venison and sturgen along with amazing mushrooms and Brussels sprouts. I was so full by the time of desert I loved their small desert options of just getting one cookie or home made chocolates

Definitely worth a visit.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Los Angeles
“Eclectic menu; electric site”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

Our party of four had to wait a bit to be seated--second seating at 8:45 PM. No problem. The meal lasted a leisurely three hours! Service was excellent; our server understood the complex menu and gave us excellent recommendations. The food was terrific. We had many "small" plates from meat to fish to pasta. All was well prepared. Additionally, a couple of our diners had special food needs which were met by the kitchens without difficulty.

We will return.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
San Jose, California
“Very fun and adventurous dining experience!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

I never heard of this place until my sister invited me and her friends for a group outing last week during the Inauguration/MLK Jr weekend. Our waiter was very nice and very knowledgeable about the menu and gave us little intros about each dish that we ordered. I like how the menu is sort of like a "tapas-style" only with an American flare to it. Each dish is meant to be shared throughout your group. Surprisingly, I actually got full from taking so many small samples from various plates. I also really liked how they divided their menu from "proteins" to "starches" to "vegetables" "cheese plates", "breads", etc. So very elaborate and easy to read especially for those simple/casual diners like myself. The place also has a nice up-beat vibe.

Would definitely recommend for a great group outing if I were in the DC area. :)

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Gainesville, Florida
“Off the charts!!!!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

While dining here I felt like the food critic in Ratatouille, the food gave me perspective! I would highly recommend reservations. The flavors constructed here are absolutely special. The decor featuring the open kitchen was an added touch as well. The service was spot on from beginning to end, our server TJ was very knowledgeable and guided us through the entire experience. This restaurant believes in communal eating so it was a perfect fit for my wife and our group of friends. We ordered one of the homeade punches, which was quite balanced. Our apps included oysters, the charcutiere tasting, cheese tasting, and the bread basket. The spreads that accompanied the bread were excellent, including the bacon marmalade. Yes, bacon marmalade need I say more. Our entrees included hangar steak, lamb, fish, chicken, pork, each bite was better than the last. I enjoyed the fact that the chef is attentative to all aspects of the meal, even the vegetables were great including the grilled brussel sprouts and everything potatoes (truly soul pleasing). All in all it was a great experience and would highly recommend dining here!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Tallahassee,FL
“Great Service, Adventurous Menu”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I took my husband and a few friends for his birthday. He and one of our friends are very big foodies, he has worked in several restaurants and has a culinary degrees. He has very high food standards and we both have strict standards for service.

Reservations strongly recommended.

The menu is designed for sharing and our waiter did a great job explaining the menu. We ordered some of everything: oysters, cheese tasting, bread basket, ham and meat plate as well as several entrees and several sides.

We all shared our entrees and sides. We all raved about the fried brussell sprouts, cauliflowers, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, kale salad. Really there was nothing that everyone didn't love.

We also ordered a house made alcoholic punch. Delish!

The service matched the food. We were never left wanting a refill or help.

I will be coming back again when we visit DC.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere