“A comfortable stay within walking distance to key sight-seeing” 4 of 5 stars

You added DC Lofty to your Saves list
DC Lofty
815 7th Street NE, Washington DC, DC DC 20001 (Upper Northwest)   |
Ljubljana, Slovenia
“A comfortable stay within walking distance to key sight-seeing”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

We really enjoyed our stay at DC Lofty. The bunk beds were comfortable, the bathroom and kitchen were clean, the staff were very friendly and helpful, the common areas provided enough space to read a book and relax.

*My only complaint is that an older man on the premises, who I assume to be part owner/investor, was very openly nasty to the staff working there, to the point that it made my boyfriend and I very uncomfortable to be in the same room. I am including this in my review because vile, unprofessional people like him need to be accountable for their actions and recognize the disservice they do themselves.

Room Tip: Notify reception if you will check in after 10pm ($10 fee charged) and they will provide you with co...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Madurai, India
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

A decent hostel with nice living area and a kitchen.

The staff at the front desk is friendly and helpful..

The shoes have to be removed inside the hostel permises, which is a bog off for me... :(

However I can recommend this place for large groups..

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Annapolis, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

I've stayed in a variety of Hostels and have found them all to be nice and manageable. That was until I walked into DC Lofty. From the moment my group walked in, the girl behind the desk said "I wasn't expecting five of you." Apparently there was a mix-up with the order. We booked 5 guests for an 8 bedroom mixed dorm and it came up as only one person. So right there 4 of us are left without a room and reservation. She then proceeds to split us up into the most dodgy rooms she could find: a basement with no room to move around and a closet that would shame Harry Potter's cupboard under the stairs. Minutes after showing us our room we asked to be refunded. She says since "we" made a reservation she could not refund us completely. Either we booked a reservation for five in the one room or we didn't and were separated--we weren't getting out of this. In the end, we found a much cheaper room at Embassy Suites for the five of us and loved it.

On a side note: a nice quiet girl in line behind us asked the girl behind the desk about her sheets being taken from her bed and whether or not she still had the room or not. The girl behind the desk avoided answering her and told her "Isn't it nice to have your sheets changed for you." Not sure if the girl actually had her room in the end.

Room Tip: Do not let them put you in a closet. Ask to see your room before you book!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

I booked in for three nights. One of those nights was for a double room as a single was not avail. Checked in and it was so charged at a lower rate. Good instructions on how to get to the place,

Office staff unwilling to inform what is open or closed with regard to the government shutdown.

I have stayed in many hostels over the years. I would say their attention to cleanliness is commendable. It is the small things that they do not do or repair that make it an average hostel instead of a good one.
I had a small room with bedlight near head which I kept bumping.

The window was facing the road. The blind would not go down fully so you have constant yellow light streaming in from the 10 cm or 4 inch gap. Could not find someone the second morning had to wait until the evening. They said the blind was too short. Item repaired using a towel by me after receptionist provided it to me. Light also came I from between the blinds. It came onto the wall where your feet were so it was difficult to get a good nights sleep.
Toilet seat was broken upon check-in. On the second night it was the same. It kept coming away so you had to take it off.

There was no hot water third and final morning and no secure luggage facility you just leave it in a room.

The Walls were heavily marked
The hostel is two building which you reach by walking outside and connect with other. A lane is nearby and you do not feel you have safe protection.

No maps offered to help with orientating yourself. The ditrections to get there fomr the airport are very good.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights and loved it! Great homely feeling, you can't wear shoes inside but they give you these slippers to wear instead. It was a bit of a walk into the city centre, but there was a cheap liquor store one block away, definite plus. The staff were very friendly and we met some amazing people. They had a good kitchen and everything was very neat and clean. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Zurich, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

The hostel is well located (close to Mt Vermont metro station, with good neighborhood), the staff is friendly, beds and rooms are clean.

If I'm coming back to Washington DC on a budget or know someone that plans a visit there, it's the place I would turn to.

Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

Not sure I understand the whole "take your shoes off" thing as this is the only hostel Ive come across so far that has this policy. But the hostel was clean and tidy and the staff are incredibly friendly and helpful and can point in the right directions. The kitchen and lounge well maintained. Not quite walking distance but on an easy to use bus route.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

Been to DC Lofty? Share your experiences!