“Great place! Nice location” 5 of 5 stars

You added DC Lofty to your Saves list
DC Lofty
1333 11th Street NW, Washington DC, DC DC 20001 (Upper Northwest)   |
Blacksburg, Virginia
“Great place! Nice location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

We were staying here once in a Deluxe Double Bed Private Ensuite.
Wow....that room is something)))))) nice design, very cozy, huge window..
It was our last minute change of plans to stay overnight in DC and we found this place available! We were so happy we changed our plans. Had a very nice rest after long traveling.. It was so homy that we almost forgot that it's a hoStel!
Amazing staff! Always smiling, joking, friendly, cheerful..
No-shoes policy keeps the place very clean and neat. We also got our DC-Lofty sleepers ))) that was a nice addition to our stay :)
In the room we had a cool dresser, TV, fireplace...bathroom with mood lighting..))) just like another honey-moon haha :)
It's not too far from China Town, main attractions, Union Station (best by taxi - 7-10 min ride).
Very peaceful residential area in the city center!
Great great great!
We'll definitely stay there again and recommend it to everyone (:

Room Tip: Great location. The Private Ensuite is perfect for couples!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Munich, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

Location seems to be bit shabby, but neighborhood is really friendly.
Metro station is really close, walk like 6-7 minutes and need not to fear the people there!
Rooms were really large, hadn't expected this with the low prices!

Small negatives: toilet not the cleanest in the world (broken seat), shower need a really long time to heat (if at all) and the front door seems like it was broken several times (a sign reads, it will be repaired).

Overall I'd definitely recommend it and would stay there again!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Sofia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

It is a very comfortable hostel, with a great kitchen, located in a very convenient part, walking distance form the Mall and Dupont Circle and 18th Street...if you like walking though:)
The guys seemed very friendly and helpful and for the price, it is of great value...would stay there again...

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

Was there for 3 nights as part of a solo travelling trip around different places in the states.

First, the location is good, but not great. It's takes about a 7-minute walk to the metro station, and from there, about 4 minutes to the National Mall. 15-minute walk to Chinatown and Gallery Place.

The hostel cleanliness is remarkable, and frankly speaking, I'm impressed that they disallowed shoes in the rooms and all, making it a much pleasant experience. My only problem is that my room is in the basement, right next to the window where at nights, the rowdy crowds may throng pass and disturb a good night's sleep. The floorboards creaked like crazy when someone is in the first floor common area.

For the cost, I would say that this hostel is worth visiting, but I will definitely explore other places before revisiting DC Lofty.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

I stayed at DC Lofty in early November. Things started on a poor note - I had emailed them to inform them of a change in my arrival date (from 10th to the 14th), but my credit card was still charged for the night of the 10th. Their booking system had not reflected the changes so our room was given to someone else.

the manager Roma was very understanding and amended the booking to give us the original double bed private room we booked.

be warned that this hostel does not have any elevators. There are three flights of narrow stairs, so if you're carrying heavy luggage you'll need some help.

the toilets are very clean, and that's a big plus point.

the hostel was also under renovation when we were there, so some of the common walkways were boarded up - this means that if you want to go to the kitchen, you have to go out the back door and into the other building from the outside. kitchen was also clean and facilities there were adequate.

the rooms are clean and comfortable even though the hostel feels old. i didn't like the location very much - it's a bit of a walk to get to the nearest Metro but there are plenty of convenience stores along the way if you need groceries or food.

overall i'd say the hostel is just okay, but your options for accommodation are limited if you're on a budget.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Monterrey, Mexico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

I was going to stay in duo hostel but they didnt accept cash only credit/debit cards.and i only had cash the duo hostel told me there was the loftyhostel just a couple of blocks away ,the lofty had a friendly enviroment .they had this particularly rule of taking off your shoes while you´re inside the hostel.to make it more friendly i believe.the place was clean and in my 2 night stay i can say it was a secure place to stay. staff was friendly but one of the girls called kendra was not that friendly.I had a problem with my documents i left my passport inside the airplane when i arrive to washington and I had to do some mandatory calls to the airline in order to leave dc and go straight to the airport and take my return flight to my hometown.,so after the 2nd night I was waiting for the airline to call me or email me and tell me if they´ve found the document but this person from the staff practically gave me a warning that I had to leave the lofty right away and even said that there was practically no rooms available that day,when actually there were around 6 beds available! (she even told me so at that precise moment)kendra was aware of my passport-situation i was going through. fortunately! another girl from the staff who was actually in charge told me that if i had to stay there and i needed to use the common areas there was no problem it all of course as long as i didnt use the rooms until i payed for another night .at the end the airline found my passport and i was able to leave the place (if I would not receive any information from the airline i would have pay for another night of course and keep waiting but not before i had some answer from the airline. kendra was not courteous.
the lofty hostel is a decent hostel,cheap and near the touristic area.(lincoln memorial,museums,capitolium,the whote house,etc..)also the metro station is near the hostel.so if youre looking for a cheap stay in dc not far away from the touristic zone this is an option .

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

Been to DC Lofty? Share your experiences!