“just okay” 3 of 5 stars

815 7th Street NE, Washington DC, DC DC 20001 (Logan Circle/ Shaw)   |
Singapore
“just okay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

I stayed at DC Lofty in early November. Things started on a poor note - I had emailed them to inform them of a change in my arrival date (from 10th to the 14th), but my credit card was still charged for the night of the 10th. Their booking system had not reflected the changes so our room was given to someone else.

the manager Roma was very understanding and amended the booking to give us the original double bed private room we booked.

be warned that this hostel does not have any elevators. There are three flights of narrow stairs, so if you're carrying heavy luggage you'll need some help.

the toilets are very clean, and that's a big plus point.

the hostel was also under renovation when we were there, so some of the common walkways were boarded up - this means that if you want to go to the kitchen, you have to go out the back door and into the other building from the outside. kitchen was also clean and facilities there were adequate.

the rooms are clean and comfortable even though the hostel feels old. i didn't like the location very much - it's a bit of a walk to get to the nearest Metro but there are plenty of convenience stores along the way if you need groceries or food.

overall i'd say the hostel is just okay, but your options for accommodation are limited if you're on a budget.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Monterrey, Mexico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

I was going to stay in duo hostel but they didnt accept cash only credit/debit cards.and i only had cash the duo hostel told me there was the loftyhostel just a couple of blocks away ,the lofty had a friendly enviroment .they had this particularly rule of taking off your shoes while you´re inside the hostel.to make it more friendly i believe.the place was clean and in my 2 night stay i can say it was a secure place to stay. staff was friendly but one of the girls called kendra was not that friendly.I had a problem with my documents i left my passport inside the airplane when i arrive to washington and I had to do some mandatory calls to the airline in order to leave dc and go straight to the airport and take my return flight to my hometown.,so after the 2nd night I was waiting for the airline to call me or email me and tell me if they´ve found the document but this person from the staff practically gave me a warning that I had to leave the lofty right away and even said that there was practically no rooms available that day,when actually there were around 6 beds available! (she even told me so at that precise moment)kendra was aware of my passport-situation i was going through. fortunately! another girl from the staff who was actually in charge told me that if i had to stay there and i needed to use the common areas there was no problem it all of course as long as i didnt use the rooms until i payed for another night .at the end the airline found my passport and i was able to leave the place (if I would not receive any information from the airline i would have pay for another night of course and keep waiting but not before i had some answer from the airline. kendra was not courteous.
the lofty hostel is a decent hostel,cheap and near the touristic area.(lincoln memorial,museums,capitolium,the whote house,etc..)also the metro station is near the hostel.so if youre looking for a cheap stay in dc not far away from the touristic zone this is an option .

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
São Paulo, SP
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

I've been there in July/2012. The place is TERRIBLE, but it was just what I needed: A place to sleep and take showers.
- The staff is not friendly, its only one person at time who hates to be bothered by guests.
- The building looks like it is about to fall apart, it is not confy or pretty. The kitchen is the best room of the house, There is no breakfast included, by the way,,,
- The hostel location is good enought! Fairly close to the subway (convention center), bike share and 20min walk to Federal Mall.
- Bedrooms are small but it is ok to sleep, they are quiet and dark at night.
- Bathrooms are not enought. Only three showers for the entire place, but as I was taking showers in "alternative" hours, it didn't bother me. Though the higene wasnt the best.
To sum up, I didn't like the place at all, but it was just what I needed - sleep and shower in a decent location.

Room Tip: The room in the lower floor is the best - quiet and dark.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012 via mobile

Lacking of any ambiance or general extra effort whatsoever, I wanted to leave a marginal review... But I will consider the fact that I paid about 30 bucks for a decent bed in dc, and give it a notch above marginal (for the money).
The common area was awkwardly set and not inviting. The bedroom was warmer than outdoors in July. Try sleeping in that. Effort here would have been simply putting a box fan in the room. Stagnant hot air...not ideal for close quartered strangers. The bathroom light was out. Again, a lack of effort here.
The place has potential to be something. But there just doesn't seem to be energy involved in making the mid renovation comfortable.
I can't comment on the staff bc I only met one, and she was fine. Not super engaged in the place, but pleasant nonetheless.
This is fine for well-seasoned hostellers. But don't make this your intro to hostelling class. You probably won't keep up the amazingly wonderful experience if it is your first.

• Stayed July 2012
NYC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

If you are a very conservative or uptight person this would not be the place for you. But if you are a college intern who is lively and looking for a community type of place that is the vibe. Nice meeting areas with big tv's, big kitchen, free computers and strong wifi. Shoes are not worn past the hallway which is a little odd since there is nothing very Asian or super clean about the place. Its an old double house with a slanted staircase. A little character.
If you are bring a group of minors... this would not be the place... if you are not a seasoned traveler and want total quiet... not for you either but I liked the people I met here and if I could have stayed another night (booked) I would have.
A little bit of a nice walk to the subway and if you go the other way lots of pubs, restaurants, and interesting places to enjoy DC.
Very nice bath and lots of hot water.

Room Tip: Our all female room was #600 something and very nice. On a corner.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2012

Not at all what I expected from a hostel. Staff were helpful and welcoming but the hostel itself is not the best appointed one I've stayed in. Beds are comfortable and the bathrooms relatively clean. Location was quite good, easy to get to the Downtown area adm National Mall. Still, it was better than my other DC hostel experiences but I found it quite expensive for what I got. In city with limited hostel options, I found this the best of a bad bunch.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Denver, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2011

This place is terrible. The manager sucks - promised to reimburse me but failed to do so after calling 6 times. Room conditions are bad (they're squeezing tons of bunk beds into small rooms) and neighborhood isn't safe. Don't stay here.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends

Been to DC Lofty? Share your experiences!