“A mixed bag” 2 of 5 stars

815 7th Street NE, Washington DC, DC DC 20001 (Logan Circle/ Shaw)   |
London
“A mixed bag”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2012

Not at all what I expected from a hostel. Staff were helpful and welcoming but the hostel itself is not the best appointed one I've stayed in. Beds are comfortable and the bathrooms relatively clean. Location was quite good, easy to get to the Downtown area adm National Mall. Still, it was better than my other DC hostel experiences but I found it quite expensive for what I got. In city with limited hostel options, I found this the best of a bad bunch.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Denver, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2011

This place is terrible. The manager sucks - promised to reimburse me but failed to do so after calling 6 times. Room conditions are bad (they're squeezing tons of bunk beds into small rooms) and neighborhood isn't safe. Don't stay here.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Bloomington, Indiana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2011

I have travelled around US with my girlfriend for 3 weeks and we stayed in a couple of hostels in different cities (Boston, New York, Philadelphia, Washington, Chicago) and this was definately the worst of it. Here is what we did not like about it:
1. It was extremely hot and the air conditioning did not do the job.
2. I respect their " no shoes" policy but at least let the people take their backpacks off before you ask them to take the shoes off too! What's more despite this policy the hostel was more dirtier than all the others we stayed in (and they did not ask people to take off the shoes). It seems that they simply don't feel like cleaning and actually during our 3-day stay I did not see anybody hoovering or cleaning the floors.
3. They put as many beds in a room as one can get. There are no night lamps beside the beds. There are also no shelfs over them so there's no place to stock your phone, alarm clock, glasses, book etc.
4. One bathroom and toilet (in one room, for both guys and girls) for the entire floor - no comment is needed.
5. Terrible Wi-fi - I was constantly disconnected every 2/3 minutes and from what I heard from others I was not the only one.

Good things? Not a bad location although there are no stores around open after 8:30 p.m.

Overall: Poor hostel which gives you the impression that was opened solely to earn its proprietor some fast and easy money. It is a place to sleep over and leave - definately not to enjoy yourself. You can definately find something better and pay less.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2011

This hostel is in an old townhouse very close to the convention center. Very friendly, considerate rules, girls' dorm has 2 bunkbeds and a loud A/C unit. I slept really well. One problem was the shared bathroom -- I thought it was just for the 4 girls, but guys down the hall seemed to be in there every time I tried to get in. Shared kitchen, free wifi, 3 computers for general use. I'd recommend it, especially if you are travelling with a few people. Price is right, too.

Room Tip: Make sure you confirm in advance and let them know asap if you want to extend your stay or they will...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2011

I found the place great. The amenities like tv, internet, kitchen and bathroom were really nice. I didn't have a problem with bed bugs when we stayed in may 2010 (however the airconditioner down stairs was leaking water into the carpet). This wasn't too much of a problem. The rooms are spacious and comfortable.

Compared to some places in DC, this area seemed really safe. Metro stop was close but it took me a while to find it.

Its one of those places that surprises you when you walk in the door. Its outside makes it look a little run down, but inside its pimped out.

Room Tip: Not sure
  • Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
New Orleans, Louisiana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2011

I had slept in dorms before but this was my first stay at a real hostel with a dorm full of strangers. The overall experience was unpleasant but this is probably the nature of such hostels. More experienced stayers said the place was typical of hostels with some exceptions. Firstly, the internet facilities were great (wifi and PC access). Secondly, the bathroom availability was terrible - 2 among around 30 people, and it was nearly impossible to get in during the mornings when people would be in there from at least 5am or earlier. Third, the weather was incredibly hot and the airconditioning was faulty (it blew hot air into the room) which led to the room becoming nearly unbearable. One of the staff members eventually fixed the problem (about 2-3 nights in) but it only had a minor benefit.

Other things to note about this hostel
-the location seemed safe (at least I never had a problem walking around) and about 20 minutes walk from the washington mall area at quick pace.
-from the outside the building looks like a run down hovel. There is only a small sign in the window indicating this is the place you are looking for.
-guests seemed to be a combination of students, travellers and 'down on their luck' types. A lot of them lounge around watching tv or playing xbox during the mornings, afternoons and nights. I didn't try to meet people but ended up meeting a few interesting people, which helped offset being freaked out by others.
-front door security and a staff member on duty all the time make the place seem reasonably safe. There is also locker storage in the rooms but they are not large enough to fit a suitcase in and they do not take all types of padlocks. Security of my possessions was a big concern for me and I made sure to always lock my bag. One of the guests said they had something stolen from them during my stay.
-you will need to carry your bags up several flights of stairs and this could be impossible for people with heavy bags.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
Calgary, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2010

While located very near to a metro station, and surrounded by beautiful historic homes, the neighbourhood seemed at bit unsafe in some places, and the outward appearance of the hostel was a bit disconcerting. Staff who greeted me was a bit stand off ish, and the hostel was less than impressive, and not as clean as I would have hoped. Not only was there quite a bit of dust in corners, window sills, etc, my room was also infested with bed bugs. My bed, of which the linen had at least obviously just been recently washed , seemed not to have any in it, but I could see the bugs crawling on the walls, along the window sill, generally in the area all around my bed. I cut my stay down from 4 nights to just the one. The manager seemed surprised I was leaving and that there were bed bugs, even though judging by other reviews I have read, this is a recurring problem. They are clearly infested with bed bugs- shouldn't they temporarily close to deal with the problem once and for all? As opposed to, as I was quoted, just changing the mattresses? Did have free high speed wireless internet though- which I used to google bed bugs to make sure I was not just being paranoid...

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business