“Top Notch All Around” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 131 Hotels in Washington DC
NYC
“Top Notch All Around”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2014

This was our first time at the Capella and pretty much everything was perfect. The staff was very welcoming and accommodating and we were pleasantly surprised by some of the extra amenities available such as the complimentary beverages in your room and your very own personal assistant. The room decor was absolutely fabulous!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Moon, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

So this hotel is absolutely astounding. My wife and I have 3 small children and have not been able to spend more than a few hours alone in over 2 years. We were finally able to book a child-free anniversary trip this last week and based on photos and hotels we picked the Capella Georgetown room for our 3 night stay. We were contacted a few days prior to our arrival and asked if we had any special needs or if we're celebrating any special occasion. I mentioned our 11th anniversary.
Well, they hooked us up big time. We pulled up to the front entrance and the doorman and staff took expert care of us. We were whisked away to a private check in desk, and escorted to our room. However, it was not the room we booked, we were given a no-charge, monstrous upgrade to the Executive Suite!! This was hands down the nicest hotel room I have ever seen.
The floor has beautiful woodwork, the king sized bed was astoundingly comfortable, it had a second toilet, a sitting area and it was altogether larger than my first apartment. Then there was the master bathroom, which is just a work of art. The stone floors were gorgeous and the rainfall shower fixture felt spectacular. My only complaint is that the beautiful white tub took a little long to fill. The bathroom puts the pictures on the hotel's website to shame, it is so much better in person.
Aside from the greatness of the room, the staff was absolutely terrific. Everyone was beyond friendly and courteous, by the time we left I felt like the doormen were old friends. Simply put I can not say enough nice things about this hotel. Thank you so much to the staff for giving us such a wonderful anniversary. We hope to visit again soon.

Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014

I've stayed 3 times over the last couple of months in this latest addition to the Capella chain. I wrote a rave review about their sister hotel in Duesseldorf, Germany. But even if you allow for a bit of a fan bias this is right up there in the top category for city hotels in the US (my top 3: Beverly Wilshire, LA, Four Seasons in Midtown, NYC and the Mandarin Oriental in NYC).
It is located in a beautifully restored brick building in Georgetown. It's quiet, still central enough for all major business destinations in the area and you have all the bars and restaurants of Georgetown on your doorstep.
The rooms are just as luxurious as you would expect once you had a look at the bar and the restaurant located on the ground floor. The overall build quality is more than a notch above what you find in similar hotels in the US.
On my last visit I happened to fall ill. The level of attention and TLC I received from all members of staff was outstanding. I'm planning to come back on a family trip later this year because the hotel hasn't got a complete corporate feel about it (mind you it is pricey but don't be afraid to ask for a competitive rate when booking over the phone).

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

The individualized service in this hotel is outstanding, and it made me feel like a celebrity or even royalty! The employees remembered my name from day to day, and they went out of their way to make us comfortable in every way. One night, while watching fireworks on the roof, an employee brought up blankets and draped each one of us! The complimentary beverages in the room and the lobby were a nice touch. And the living room for guests only was a treat!
Don't miss this great boutique hotel!

Sunderland, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2014

Agree with much of the points made by "mark h" in the review prior to this. The hotel itself is stunning and very high end throughout with simply amazing features such as a prime location as well as great rooftop views on the roof terrace as well as an excellent pool. However the service which claims to be best of the best, to put it bluntly: is not. My 'personal assistant' contacted me prior to my stay which was a nice touch yet failed to reply when i asked him a fairly basic question.

My stay was only for one night, with a large factor in my decision to stay here being me knowing i would be tired from a day of travel and like a good meal upon my arrival (the hotel restaurant is highly recommended). Upon check in i was informed that as i was a guest i did not need to make a reservation for dinner so naturally i did not bother. When i arrived for dinner i was then told the entire restaurant was full after being booked mostly by some form of corporate function. Given that the hotel would know this well in advance i feel i should have been informed especially considering i could easily have made a reservation/ was only asking for a table for one. The solution suggested when i raised the issue was that i was welcome to sit in the bar with my food (which was packed/nobody else was dining). For a hotel of this calibre and considering i paid over $500 for a night here this is not good enough in my opinion

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Wynnewood, PA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2014

DC to me in the past has always been filled with just decent hotel experiences and when the Capella came on the scene, I knew we'd have to give it a shot. We finally had a DC weekend planned for just ourselves and I was excited to be able to book the Capella.

I booked us for 3 nights in a Georgetown Room through my new favorite travel agency. Along with the room I was able to secure free breakfast and $100 F&B credit. Normally this isn't worth mentioning, but this time it is.

The hotel itself is really excellent. The room was very well laid out and from the moment we walked in to the small corridor with a nice piece of art, we knew the room itself would be great. All the furniture was not only comfortable, but very functional. The bathroom was equally great. We appreciated the dual sinks to make getting ready in the morning easy. The bed was very comfortable and the modern "canopy" was a nice touch. I liked all the electronic controls for everything. The only room complaint was the double doors to our room had a small gap in between the doors and also at the bottom which let in a lot of sound from the hallway. Other than this the room was nearly silent, so I was bit surprised at this door issue.

When you enter you must use your card to enter anywhere beyond the bar and restaurant. This is a great security touch and it really does make you feel important to go into the hotel area while the bar is packed. We got to spend some time on the roof deck and this is another really great spot in the hotel. The views are great and with the nice weather it was very pleasant up there. There were multiple attendants up there and I enjoyed an excellent manhattan while taking in the view.

Now, while the hotel itself was excellent, there were just too many service mistakes to really think of this as a 5 star property. We're not ones to interact much with the staff, so the few times we do it really needs to shine.

The Capella website and some Trip Advisor reviews mention that one of the personal assistants will call you before you arrive to make sure the room is perfect for when you arrive. No one called, so the morning of our check-in, I called the hotel myself. My girlfriend enjoys a glass of soy milk every once in a while at night and with her coffee. After having boxes of soy milk at the Rancho Valencia we make it a point to see if we can get it in room at hotels that should offer it. I made the mistake of asking for an addition to the "minibar" and I felt a bit put down when the assistant made sure to let me know that "at the Capella we have a refreshment center, not a minibar." Thanks, but you didn't need to correct me; you knew what I meant. Either way, you know where this is going, there was no soy milk when we arrived in the "refreshment center." I didn't bother complaining, because we had to leave shortly after arriving and just got soy milk on our own later during our stay.

This would have probably just left my mind if the rest of the stay was perfect, but our included breakfast 2/3 times was nothing short of laughable. Our first morning we ordered breakfast and everything came as expected with all our ordered items and condiments. Our second morning was a total opposite. The lady who dropped off the breakfast could not have ran out of the room any faster. I didn't even have time to look at anything. I noticed several things we ordered were missing and immediately called down. She came back up and we noticed more things were still missing. After two more trips I just gave up after asking for our included fruit for both meals when she only brought one serving of fruit. The second day was a bit better. The gentleman who brought up our food was very apologetic that our food took over an hour to arrive and let us know it would be comped. Clearly he didn't know it was already free, but it was a very nice gesture on his part. I also appreciated he personally went through the items with me and gave us time to check everything out, so he only had to make one extra trip for missing items. All three days the food was around average in taste and quality. Certainly not worth the effort and would not have been worth the full price cost.

It was almost as if the restaurant/room service area wasn't even part of this hotel. At a hotel of this caliber it's just not acceptable to have room service completely miss items on the menu and mess up putting out an order twice.

The last part that just left us with a bad final moment was checking out. The same lady who brought us our fiasco of a breakfast on the second morning checked us out. Her breakfast day as well as the drink I got on the roof were still on the bill and I let her know we had free breakfast every day and the $100 credit should easily cover my drink. After some looking around she removed the breakfast, but stopped at the drink. I have never been to a hotel where F&B did not include alcohol and she said "Oh you didn't know that?" in a tone as if this was normal. After I complained this was new to me after many FHR, Virtuoso and other stays that include such F&B credits, she removed the drink, but her attitude about this could have been left out.

The valet and bellman were excellent when we arrived and left each and every day.

Overall this hotel has an amazing hard product and location, but does not live up to it's price point on all it's soft products.

Canterbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2014

Capella may or may not be the best Hotel in DC but it is certainly the nicest and has claims to be the best.. My wife and I have just spent five days in what we believe may well be the finest boutique hotel we have ever stayed in bar none. While the hotel still has problems to sort out; (the breakfast service for the price needs to be sorted out and our telephone didn't work throughout our stay and other very small details). The staff are quite fantastically good, our personal assistant Donovan was just that, his choice of restaurants and the set up of our itinerary made us wonder whether he had read our minds. The hotels position is ideal right at the centre of Georgetown close to restaurants and shops one couldn't find a better location. We could imagine going back to DC just to stay at Capella and couldn't bear to go back and stay anywhere else. Above all the "can" do attitude of all the staff and their drive and energy is refreshing. This hotel may seem to be expensive but for the service given it is very good value

Room Tip: 406 is a great room/suite
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
CapellaWashingtonDC, General Manager at Capella Washington D.C., Georgetown, responded to this review, July 16, 2014
Greetings simongreen1936,

Thank you very much for sharing your wonderful experience regarding your most recent stay at Capella Washington, D.C. I am honored to hear that you both find our hotel to be the nicest in D.C. with extraordinary service. Our Personal Assistant's are always here to help curate the best experience for you, and I am thrilled you enjoyed all of Donovan's recommendations. I can assure you that we are working on eliminating the defects you mentioned, and thank you again for bringing them to our attention. We are very much looking forward to welcoming you both back in the near future to create many more legacy moments.

Alex Obertop

Been to Capella Washington D.C., Georgetown? Share your experiences!